Your favourite paiste hi hats

JazzDoc

The very best hihats that I know of are/were Paiste 14" Sound Creation Dark Medium hats. Of course they are no longer made; they were Formula 602's. Paiste also made SC Dark hats which were heavier and louder.

SC Dark Medium hats have the most incredible "chick", a lovely closed stick & open sound - but best of all, they work beautifully both for loud amplified rock or acoustic jazz right in there with old thinner cymbals with a deep patina!

Every so often they can be found on eBay or Reverb. If you ever see a pair - grab em!

Stroker

Platinum Member
The very best hihats that I know of are/were Paiste 14" Sound Creation Dark Medium hats. Of course they are no longer made; they were Formula 602's. Paiste also made SC Dark hats which were heavier and louder.

SC Dark Medium hats have the most incredible "chick", a lovely closed stick & open sound - but best of all, they work beautifully both for loud amplified rock or acoustic jazz right in there with old thinner cymbals with a deep patina!

Every so often they can be found on eBay or Reverb. If you ever see a pair - grab em!
Great info, JD! Much appreciated!

opentune

Platinum Member
My biggest worry with both of these hats is how they will blend with my other cymbals, knowing that neither of them are B20. All of my other cymbals are B20, and I've never really used a mixture of B20 and B8/whatever the sigs are made of, so I'm not really sure how they will sound together. What other cymbals are you using, and how well do you think these hi hats will mix?
I had an an entire 2002 setup going once hats-ride-crashes. Then bit by bit started going to B20 on rides and crashes. I did find that 2002 hats (I had both mediums and SE's) did not blend so well with the other B20 tones. I eventually went to sets of B20 hats. At the same time, I do find 2002 and GB crashes can fit with in with some B20 hat and ride combinations.

There are no rules except those of your own ears.

Stroker

Platinum Member
I had an an entire 2002 setup going once hats-ride-crashes. Then bit by bit started going to B20 on rides and crashes. I did find that 2002 hats (I had both mediums and SE's) did not blend so well with the other B20 tones. I eventually went to sets of B20 hats. At the same time, I do find 2002 and GB crashes can fit with in with some B20 hat and ride combinations.

There are no rules except those of your own ears.
A great read! Thanks for sharing, OT!

RaxCity

I wouldn't worry too much about blend based on alloy. Hi hats are such a different sound from rides and crashes I don't think tonal blend is really an issue. I'd consider blend from a volume standpoint first.
Thanks for that advice, I'll definitely keep that in mind when I go to buy the cymbals. I would assume that anything medium/medium-thin weight would blend well from a volume standpoint, which is the sort of volume I go for.

I agree, hi hats are a different beast and alloy-matching isn't as important. That being said, I really love what Paiste does with B8.

I would rate the 4 pairs of Paiste hats I've owned like this:
- 15" 2002 SoundEdge Red Label from 2008 (the best, most versatile)
- 14" 505 Heavy Green Label from early 80s
- 15" Paiste/Ludwig NS12 nickel-silver from late 50s
- 15" Giant Beat reissue from 2007 (still really, really good)
Thanks for that insight, much appreciated!

Hi Rax,

I think Winston Wolf is right. Using different alloys shouldn't be noticeable. Right now, my main setup currently has a 602 Ride (B20), Signature Fast Crash (B15?), a 3000 Flat (B8) and a 2002 Crash (B8) along with the 2002 hats.

I also mix B20 K and A Zildjians with my Paiste 2002s, 2000s and 3000s at times too, which are all B8 and I am very happy with the overall compatibility.

I think the 2002 14" medium hats would work with just about any setup, unless all the other cymbals are real dark. Simply because the hats are not too bright and not too dark. They have an overall clean sound to them, but sizzle nicely when played loose.
Thanks for that Ruok, it seems like we have very similar cymbal tastes as I also have a couple of A zildjian cymbals and I am looking at getting a 602 medium ride and a signature fast crash/602 thin crash/2002 crash/giant beat multi, which I am trying to decide between, but they all sound so good.

Zs4me

I've been on a hi hat hunt for two years (mostly Paiste) I found my last hi hat, 14" Signature Medium hi hats. The are just a beautiful instrument, very dynamic, sweet sounding, and inspiring. Perfect match for my Sig Dark Full ride.

I kept getting used pairs with the (overdone) trend of medium tops and manhole cover bottoms that are just too wet, bright, and heavy sounding.

Sound Formula med-heavy as an honorable mention. Something about the signature alloy really seems special in hi hats.

Honorable mention #2 regular RUDE hats, had a nice dry/raw-ness.

Giant Beats, 15" felt and sounded "soft", little sparkle.

2002 Sound Edge 14" sound great initially, then ear fatigue city. Might try again since I changed ear protection or the mediums would suit me better.

Last edited:

Destroyer772

Gold Member
15in 602 ME's are the sweetest sounding hats I ever heard. I got lucky and scored a demo model that looked brand new and saved around $160 at Sweetwater (they were also part of a yellow tag sale) which helped bring it down to that price. Out of my 14in New Beat's, 14in K Mastersound, and 14in K Custom Dark The 602's are my favorite.

dwdrummerky

My three go-to's for hats:

15" Modern Essentials - Everyone else pretty much summed these up.. For me the perfect versatile hats. Excellent.

14" 602 Mediums (new style) - Light and musical. Also really versatile with a vintage vibe.

14" 2002 Heavy - My main rock/pop hats. Not overly heavy at all 950/1060, but have a very nice cut and foot chick.

PineyplayParadiddles

I own the 602 Modern Essentials 14" hi hats and Masters dark 15" and Signature Dark Crisp hats. I keep going back and forth trying to decide which I prefer. They all shine in different ways. Playing live stuff I favour the Masters ones, they're not brash or loud, the 602's are super versatile. Everything from rock and pop stuff to jazz. They're classic and warm.

The signatures are beautiful, perfect for rock or playing loudly. But still really sensitive. I just prefer something thinner.

Whatever you try you can't really go wrong, the Paiste consistency and quality control is something to behold, check out mycymbal.com videos, I find them very accurate.

Stroker

Platinum Member
I purchased a set of Paiste 2002, 15" Sound Edge hats last year and couldn't be happier with the quality and sound, however, having played 17" hats in my younger days, I have my sights on a set of Paiste 2002, 17" Sound Edge hats, and once I have a chance to compare, I'll post my findings.

Have a sneaking suspicion I'll be cashing-in the 15's after playing the 17's.

The Edge

I'm currently using a hybrid set of 14'. Dark Energy top paired with a Sig medium bottom. Med thin/med heavy. I'm enjoying the sound. I can use these in just about every situation.

Armor of Light

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paiste-Sound-Creation-14-Dark-Medium-Sound-Edge-Hi-Hats/222766828839?hash=item33ddf00d27:g:IzkAAOSwSQFaCLpt

picautomaton

I would highly recommend some 2002 sound edge hats.

My only issue with Paiste is that they crack after a while. Have owned around six Paiste cymbals and the only one that hasn't cracked is a 2002 China Type.

Still think they're the best sounding cymbals.

electrodrummer

I would highly recommend some 2002 sound edge hats.

My only issue with Paiste is that they crack after a while. Have owned around six Paiste cymbals and the only one that hasn't cracked is a 2002 China Type.

Still think they're the best sounding cymbals.
Never cracked a Paiste in 40 years of playing them - what *are* you doing ;)

Soulfinger

Hard to go wrong with 2002 SEs - although I personally prefer my 14" Signature SEs. They are just a tad richer sounding and have a wider range from tight to trashy. The Sig Dark Crisps are beautiful as well, and I love the 15" Giant Beats.
I do not own any Formula 602s - if I did, I´d be all over the SEs, they are just lovely. As are the aforementioned MEs... heck, GAS is setting in... :)

jimzo

Not sure. Some hi hat sets sound great when sitting behind the kit. For now the 15" SE record the best in the studio. (as well as the 6.5x14 LM402 for recorded snares)