Your favourite paiste hi hats

RaxCity

Hey drummers! I've been looking into getting a new pair of hi hats and I've looked at a bunch of Zildjian and Sabian hi hats, but I've never really used any paiste cymbals before, so I was wondering which paiste hi hats you guys like best. In terms of sound, I like a crisp sound that isn't harsh when the hats are open, and not too bright either, however I'm open to really anything. The main reason I'm looking into paiste instead of sticking with Zildjian or Sabian is because I have heard that paistes are really consistent, which would allow me to buy online or used without worrying how it will sound in real life. I'm also interested in hearing a new sound since I know a lot of their cymbals are made with interesting alloys.

Black Label

Hey drummers! I've been looking into getting a new pair of hi hats and I've looked at a bunch of Zildjian and Sabian hi hats, but I've never really used any paiste cymbals before, so I was wondering which paiste hi hats you guys like best. In terms of sound, I like a crisp sound that isn't harsh when the hats are open, and not too bright either, however I'm open to really anything. The main reason I'm looking into paiste instead of sticking with Zildjian or Sabian is because I have heard that paistes are really consistent, which would allow me to buy online or used without worrying how it will sound in real life. I'm also interested in hearing a new sound since I know a lot of their cymbals are made with interesting alloys.
Hi, Paiste basically uses 3 alloys for their professional series:

B20 - I would look at their series 602 regular hats (Sound Edges are nice but can be harsh when played open) - or if you prefer darker lower pitched - the Masters series 15" hats are sweet
B15 (??)- (signature bronze) - their signature Dark Crisp hats are very very cool
B8 - I would consider their 2002 heavy hats - very versatile and not as heavy as the name suggests

Good luck with your search!

Last edited:

mikyok

Platinum Member
15" 602 Soundedges are nice but the price of them isn't. Guessing getting them to New Zealand is going to cost a lot more.

The Masters Series is good as well.

You can't go wrong with 2002s or the Giant Beats but the Giant Beat hats are quite light.

RaxCity

Alright, I just went on the paiste website to have a listen to some hi hats from the signature, 2002 and Giant beat lines (the ones I'm most familiar with ATM). From what I can tell, it seems like some of the sound edge cymbals have a weird, harsh kind of sound to my ears, and I preferred the sound of the regularly shaped hi hats. Yet when I listened to the ones on mycymbal.com, they didn't sound as weird. Has anyone else experienced this weird sound in real life?

As far as cymbals I do like, I enjoyed the sound of the 14" Sig dark crisp hats, as well as the 14" medium 2002 hats. I haven't really listened to any others yet, like the masters/602/big beat/alphas etc, so any other models to check out would be cool.

Black Label

Sound edges can sound harsh to you as player but out front they sound great - loose they rock as well. I have 3 pairs - 14 and 15" 2002's and a set of 14" 602's - the 602 SE's are the least harsh sounding from the throne mainly because of their lower weight. As for the 2002's - the 15" definitely takes the price - just listen to Bonham (later on - early days he used Giant Beats and 602 SE's) and Paice and you'll know, there's nothing very harsh about them recording!

G

Ghostnote

I really want to get a pair of 200w 17" Sound Edge hats. They are pretty bright, but the big diameter brings the pitch down quite a bit. If you find the Sound Edges too bright, check out the 200 Big Beats hats or maybe even a pair of Giant Beats in 15".

J

JohnoWorld

I would have to say Paiste 2000 Sound Reflections medium hats 14"

Best "chick" I've ever heard and a lovely slightly vintage trashy sound when playing them open.

My main ones are Signature 13" Heavy Hats, they sound amazing but best under mics. When I first got them, I wasn't sure about the sound, then I got them under the mics and fully understood why they are so highly priced.

They are paired with a 21" dry heavy ride, 2 signature precision crashes and a signature fast crash

The Edge

15 Giant Beats. I use them all the time. They sound wonderful. They're warm . They're have a little brightness and a little darkness. It's like they have their own unique place within a sound mix. I've had mine for 4 years and can't say enough good things about them.

Hats I've also enjoyed: Dark Energy, Signature Dark Crisp, and 602 modern and classic. All good choices.

brentcn

Platinum Member
If you want warmth then the Master Series will be very warm (similar to a K Custom). A good middle ground is the Twenty Series (closer to New Beats), which are really great cymbals in general. 602s tend to be a bit brighter than Twenties, but not nearly as bright as Signatures.

If you want a bit more warmth when played open, go with 15s instead of 14s.

The big problem with sound edges is that they tend to ring out a bit when played closed. It's not an issue in loud live gigs, but you wouldn't want them on quiet performances.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I own:

Paiste 14" Signature Sound Edge. These are very loud and cutting. The sound edge makes for a sharper "chik" sound.

Paiste 14" Signature Traditional. These are very soft and quiet compared to the Sig SE. Really great for small clubs as they are not loud or cutting.

Paiste 15" 602 Modern Essentials. These have a lower fundamental tone than the 14" and their sound is a great mix of warmth & cut. After I bought these, I became a fan of 15" hats.

Paiste 16" PST X. A very sandy, warm tone with a unique "chik". These have been on my kit since I bought them because they provide such a different sound, and it makes all the old tunes I play a bit more fun.

Last edited:

Ruok

Silver Member
Hi RaxCity!

I highly recommend, based on your original comments and the first follow up comment, the 14" 2002 Medium hats.

Most videos don't do them justice, IMO. I personally just discovered the sound that I've been chasing for decades in that particular pair. Even though I have had these hats for decades, I just realized how great they sound recorded when played in the middle of the bow with the tip of the stick. Perfect crisp medium pitch and perfect volume that's just right for me. I hear just enough highs and just enough lows within the medium pitch and nothing harsh from where I'm sitting.

For an example, I get very close to the sound you hear on Dire Straits first record, (with Sultans of Swing). I don't know what hats are on that album, but that was the sound I was chasing and I found with the technique I described on the 14" medium 2002 hats.

RaxCity

I really want to get a pair of 200w 17" Sound Edge hats. They are pretty bright, but the big diameter brings the pitch down quite a bit. If you find the Sound Edges too bright, check out the 200 Big Beats hats or maybe even a pair of Giant Beats in 15".
Thanks for that recommendation, but it's not really the brightness of the sound edges that I have a problem with, it's more the volume and harshness they have from the rippled edge.

Sound edges can sound harsh to you as player but out front they sound great - loose they rock as well. I have 3 pairs - 14 and 15" 2002's and a set of 14" 602's - the 602 SE's are the least harsh sounding from the throne mainly because of their lower weight. As for the 2002's - the 15" definitely takes the price - just listen to Bonham (later on - early days he used Giant Beats and 602 SE's) and Paice and you'll know, there's nothing very harsh about them recording!
Cheers for the advice Black Label, since I play mostly lower volume stuff like funk, jazz and a bit of rock, I don't really need something to cut through the mix, so that's probably why I'd prefer regular hats.

I would have to say Paiste 2000 Sound Reflections medium hats 14"

Best "chick" I've ever heard and a lovely slightly vintage trashy sound when playing them open.

My main ones are Signature 13" Heavy Hats, they sound amazing but best under mics. When I first got them, I wasn't sure about the sound, then I got them under the mics and fully understood why they are so highly priced.

They are paired with a 21" dry heavy ride, 2 signature precision crashes and a signature fast crash
Nice set up man! I probably won't look into those too much since I already have a set of 13s and it looks quite hard to find sound files of those, but cheers for the recommendation anyway!

15 Giant Beats. I use them all the time. They sound wonderful. They're warm . They're have a little brightness and a little darkness. It's like they have their own unique place within a sound mix. I've had mine for 4 years and can't say enough good things about them.

Hats I've also enjoyed: Dark Energy, Signature Dark Crisp, and 602 modern and classic. All good choices.
I've had a listen to those Giant Beats and they do sound quite nice, but I'm not sure if they're crisp or cutting enough for me, they do sound quite thin. Those other ones you mentioned all sound really good to my ears though, it's a shame they cost so much haha.

Here's a nice little demo of all 3 major brands:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JsqGJ8_p1E
Thanks for that link, they all sound quite nice but it's a shame he couldn't demo more models. It would have been cool to hear how other hi hats like 602s, new beats and 2002s compared.

If you want warmth then the Master Series will be very warm (similar to a K Custom). A good middle ground is the Twenty Series (closer to New Beats), which are really great cymbals in general. 602s tend to be a bit brighter than Twenties, but not nearly as bright as Signatures.

If you want a bit more warmth when played open, go with 15s instead of 14s.

The big problem with sound edges is that they tend to ring out a bit when played closed. It's not an issue in loud live gigs, but you wouldn't want them on quiet performances.
Yeah, I completely get what you're saying about the sound edges ringing out, especially since most of the gigs I play are jazz/funk/quieter rock music. I checked out those twenty hi hats and they sound pretty cool, quite similar to new beats in my opinion, but I'd assume they'd be pretty hard to get since they are discontinued.

I own:

Paiste 14" Signature Sound Edge. These are very loud and cutting. The sound edge makes for a sharper "chik" sound.

Paiste 14" Signature Traditional. These are very soft and quiet compared to the Sig SE. Really great for small clubs as they are not loud or cutting.

Paiste 15" 602 Modern Essentials. These have a lower fundamental tone than the 14" and their sound is a great mix of warmth & cut. After I bought these, I became a fan of 15" hats.

Paiste 16" PST X. A very sandy, warm tone with a unique "chik". These have been on my kit since I bought them because they provide such a different sound, and it makes all the old tunes I play a bit more fun.

I just checked out those signature traditionals and they sound very nice, maybe slightly dark for my tastes but I'll definitely keep them in mind. Those 15" 602 ME hats do sound really good as well, but again such a shame that they're so expensive haha.

Hi RaxCity!

I highly recommend, based on your original comments and the first follow up comment, the 14" 2002 Medium hats.

Most videos don't do them justice, IMO. I personally just discovered the sound that I've been chasing for decades in that particular pair. Even though I have had these hats for decades, I just realized how great they sound recorded when played in the middle of the bow with the tip of the stick. Perfect crisp medium pitch and perfect volume that's just right for me. I hear just enough highs and just enough lows within the medium pitch and nothing harsh from where I'm sitting.

For an example, I get very close to the sound you hear on Dire Straits first record, (with Sultans of Swing). I don't know what hats are on that album, but that was the sound I was chasing and I found with the technique I described on the 14" medium 2002 hats.
I just had a listen to Sultans of Swing and the hi hats on it do sound really good. If that's how the 14" 2002 medium hats sound, they'll definitely be one of the first pairs of hats I consider when I save up enough for some new hats.

Last edited:

Ruok

Silver Member
I just had a listen to Sultans of Swing and the hi hats on it do sound really good. If that's how the 14" 2002 medium hats sound, they'll definitely be one of the first pairs of hats I consider when I save up enough for some new hats.
I own 2 pairs of the 14" 2002 Mediums, and though they are slightly different sounding, the overall character of the hats are very similar to what is on the first Straits record. It also depends on how they are played. I didn't get that exact sound playing my old normal way on them. Which was playing mostly on the edge of the hats and using the shoulder of the stick a lot. When I changed the basic way I played, to predominantly using the tip of the stick near the middle of the top cymbal, and using the shoulder of the stick just for accents, VOILA, there was that sound I was looking for for years.

In my quest to find "that sound", I have also tried 602 Mediums, 602 Sound edges, and 2002 Sound edge. All were very close and all sound great, but not quite the exact sound I was looking for. I also have Zildjians and other hats, though I'm pretty sure Paiste's were used on that first record from 1978. From what you said about the type of music you play, I think the 2002 Mediums would be perfect!

RaxCity

I own 2 pairs of the 14" 2002 Mediums, and though they are slightly different sounding, the overall character of the hats are very similar to what is on the first Straits record. It also depends on how they are played. I didn't get that exact sound playing my old normal way on them. Which was playing mostly on the edge of the hats and using the shoulder of the stick a lot. When I changed the basic way I played, to predominantly using the tip of the stick near the middle of the top cymbal, and using the shoulder of the stick just for accents, VOILA, there was that sound I was looking for for years.

In my quest to find "that sound", I have also tried 602 Mediums, 602 Sound edges, and 2002 Sound edge. All were very close and all sound great, but not quite the exact sound I was looking for. I also have Zildjians and other hats, though I'm pretty sure Paiste's were used on that first record from 1978. From what you said about the type of music you play, I think the 2002 Mediums would be perfect!
Thanks for that recommendation Ruok, that sounds really good! Yeah, I like playing mostly with the tip of the stick on the middle of the cymbal, and only play on the edge for accents for the most part. At the moment, my next pair of hats will probably be either these or the 14" Sig Dark Crisp hats, but I still haven't decided which ones out of the two I like better, so I'll probably have to go try them in person to see which ones I prefer. Thanks for the help though, it's much appreciated!

Ruok

Silver Member
Thanks for that recommendation Ruok, that sounds really good! Yeah, I like playing mostly with the tip of the stick on the middle of the cymbal, and only play on the edge for accents for the most part. At the moment, my next pair of hats will probably be either these or the 14" Sig Dark Crisp hats, but I still haven't decided which ones out of the two I like better, so I'll probably have to go try them in person to see which ones I prefer. Thanks for the help though, it's much appreciated!
That would be a great choice as well. I have never played the 14" Dark Crisps before, but they do sound nice. If I were going to get myself some Signature hats, those would be my choice as well. I'm not sure, but being that the dark crisp has an extra heavy bottom, I would assume the dark crisps might have a little more volume than the 2002 mediums.

RickP

Gold Member
I have owned or own Paiste hihats from the Signature, Dimensions, 2002, Visions, Sound Formula, Traditional, Twenty, Twenty Masters , Giant Beat and 602s.

My personal favourites are :
14" reissue 602 Soundedge - beautiful crisp and articulate Hihats.
15" 602 Modern Essentials - these are fantastic hihats, incredibly versatile. Some 15's can be sluggish, these aren't at all. Crisp with body, nice foot chick sound .

G

Ghostnote

I've noticed the same thing, but a piece of moongel on the underside of the top cymbal an inch off the bell takes care of that without otherwise changing the sound very much.