Your Favorite Self Concocted Stack

danondrums

Curious what everyone's favorite self-concocted stacks are. Pre-packaged stacks don't count!

I had an 18" Oriental China Trash with a 17" A Custom that had a small crack in it that was simply awesome...

iCe

Years ago i had a stack made from a cracked Paiste 302 14" Hi-hat (can't remember top or bottom) on top of a severely cracked 302 16" crash. The crack on the 16" crash started on the edge and made it's way just an inch away from the bell, so one part of the crack was warped and was slightly elevated. The 14" cymbal was on top of that. Made a cool sound, but i lost these cymbals somewhere in a practice space when i got a 13" Wuhan china.
Other stack i used (and still have) is an 8 and 10" Zildjian Trashformer stacked together (with the 8 on top of the 10). Very short and trashy sound. Loud as well! Stopped using is because i want a 10" mini china for a more resonant sound

Last edited:

Neilage

I have an 8" Wuhan splash upside down on top of a Paiste 12" PSTX.
It's sweet and trashy with low volume and lower-sustain.

Soulfinger

I got a Zildjian Planet Z 10" splash at a sale some time ago, and it´s perfect for stacking (and doesn´t sound half bad as a splash either, surprisingly).
Either on top of a 14" A Custon EFX or underneath a 8" Trashformer.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
20" Stagg YR Med Ride with a Meinl Ching Ring and a length of brass pull chain on top, and an 10" Paiste PST5 Splash as the icing to cap the whole thing off.

TK-421

I'm currently stacking a 13" Zildjian Oriental China directly on top of a 16" K EFX crash. Sounds really good, similar to the stacked trashy sound Weckl gets from his 14" China over 18" crash.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
I haven't set it up in a long time but I used to rock a Sabian 12" AAX O-Zone Splash upside down on top of a Sabian 18" Signature Jia Chinese. The splash added a nice staccato "sizzle" to the already-dry Jia Chinese.

Neilage

I haven't set it up in a long time but I used to rock a Sabian 12" AAX O-Zone Splash upside down on top of a Sabian 18" Signature Jia Chinese. The splash added a nice staccato "sizzle" to the already-dry Jia Chinese.
That does sound sweet.

timmdrum

Silver Member
Did any of you (past and future replies) get a good white-noise / simulated lo-fi digital handclap sound out of these stacks? (Think The Cars' "Let's Go" and Kool & the Gang's "Ladies' Night".)