Your Favorite Ride

22" Zildjian Ping from 1982. Because my dad bought it for me.

Dan

I remember when I got my 1980 rock ride, I thought it was b/c that's what Neil Peart used

I later found out it was a Ping ride....I was sort of depressed...but then I looked at the shiny new cymbal I bought with my own money nad forgot about it

I still need to get an old Ping ride though....

I remember when I got my 1980 rock ride, I thought it was b/c that's what Neil Peart used

I later found out it was a Ping ride....I was sort of depressed...but then I looked at the shiny new cymbal I bought with my own money nad forgot about it

I still need to get an old Ping ride though....

A Rock Ride probably isn't too far off, actually, or a Medium. It's funny, I bought a Redesigned Ping a few years ago and it is an entirely different instrument--thin, washy, crashable as heck. The '82 is a manhole cover. Zero crashability.

Dan

A Rock Ride probably isn't too far off, actually, or a Medium. It's funny, I bought a Redesigned Ping a few years ago and it is an entirely different instrument--thin, washy, crashable as heck. The '82 is a manhole cover. Zero crashability.

Dan

yeah...I remember the old Pings also had a smaller bell, and at the time, I didn't like the feel of that small bell versus the rock ride

Still looking for one.
Out of all I've owned, it's a tie between a hollow logo A ride and a red label Paiste 2002, both 20". Ironically I've an 18" Amati Kraslice crash that rides better than either!
I've also played an HH Vanguard. It's nice, but unfortunately seems discontinued. I also like the Phil Collins RBDR, but not sure if it'd be too heavy for me.

I kind of know what to look for next. Unfortunately, trying (and affording) cymbals is not so easy due to the economy of last year. I'll seize chances and try:
  • 20" Signature Precision Ride
  • 20" 2002 and 602 Medium
  • 20" K Zildjian Crash Ride
  • 20" K Custom (heavy) Ride
  • 22" Dream Gorilla Ride (known in China as Haiping Sparkle Ride)
  • 20" Dream Energy Ride (Haiping HPC Ride)
  • 24" Dream Small Bell Flat Ride
  • 20" HH Vanguard
  • 21" HH Phil Collins Raw Bell Dry Ride
  • 20" Amati Kraslice Ride

Last edited:
My ride of choice is a 22“Istanbul 30th anniversary which is simultaneously complex and direct, great with piano or Fender Rhodes. But for louder guitar or very dense/distorted musical situations my ride of choice is either a Johnan VDS 21“ modified UFiP or a Paiste Masters 22” Dark Crisp Ride. I have other rides but these three see all the action.

Ride cymbals are like mistresses. There’s always a new favorite as whims change.

My current favourite ride is a 21” Paiste Dark Energy Mk1 ride . It is such a versatile ride , good stick definition , pretty wash and a very cutting bell . I had the same cymbal back when they first came out and the bad I played in at the time was really loud and this ride would get swallowed up . My current projects are not anywhere near as loud and this cymbal works wonderfully .

I've got a "22 Istanbul Agop Tony Williams jazz ride that I love. It's one of those ride cymbals there the wash can get away from you really easy if you're not careful, but it's just so deep and dark and warm. so good.

My favorite ride(s) are still my Zildjian K Custom Darks - 20 and 22.

The one I use the most now though is a 24" Dream Bliss small bell flat ride.
But that's just for at home use. It's nice and quiet.

If I was playing gigs, I'd probably use my older regular K ride most.

Still looking for one.
Out of all I've owned, it's a tie between a hollow logo A ride and a red label Paiste 2002, both 20". Ironically I've an 18" Amati Kraslice crash that rides better than either!
I've also played an HH Vanguard. It's nice, but unfortunately seems discontinued. I also like the Phil Collins RBDR, but not sure if it'd be too heavy for me.

I kind of know what to look for next. Unfortunately, trying (and affording) cymbals is not so easy due to the economy of last year. I'll seize chances and try:
  • 20" Signature Precision Ride
  • 20" 2002 and 602 Medium
  • 20" K Zildjian Crash Ride
  • 20" K Custom (heavy) Ride
  • 22" Dream Gorilla Ride (known in China as Haiping Sparkle Ride)
  • 20" Dream Energy Ride (Haiping HPC Ride)
  • 24" Dream Small Bell Flat Ride
  • 20" HH Vanguard
  • 21" HH Phil Collins Raw Bell Dry Ride
  • 20" Amati Kraslice Ride
Can you post a photo of the Amati Kraslice?

My favourite ride is an old Zildjian Mini Cup, has such a bright ping to it … if only I could find that same ping on a ride that had a bell lol

Reactions: jda
Back