Your DVD collection

drummindan8484

Since there's one for books, I figured I'd start one for DVD's! Anything drum instructional or of drumming showcase events (e.g. Modern Drummer Festival, Buddy Rich Memorial shows), not concert DVD's that feature great drummers!

I got most of these through Hudson Digital, so stuff you've downloaded does count, although I hope you're doing it legally! As with the other thread, bold your 2 or 3 (or more) favorites. I've become kind of a DVD junkie lately.

Aaron Spears- Beyond the Chops
Antonio Sanchez- Hudson Master Series
Buddy Rich Memorial Scholarship 1989, 1981
David Garibaldi- Tower of Groove complete
Drummer's Collective 25th Anniversary/Bass Day 2002
Jason Bittner- What Drives The Beat
Keith Carlock- The Big Picture
Modern Drummer Festival 2005, 2006, 2011
Neil Peart- Taking Center Stage
Pat Petrillo- Hand's Grooves and Fills
Todd Sucherman- Methods and Mechanics 1, 2
Tommy Igoe- Groove Essentials 1, 2
Ralph Peterson- Jazz Drumming Demystified (jazzheaven.com)
Steve Smith- Drum Legacy: Standing On The Shoulders of Giants
Steve Smith- Drumset Technique, History Of the U.S. Beat

I absolutely love every single one of these. Thank you Hudson Music for making so many awesome DVDs!

Some others I hope to get soon:

Modern Drummer Festival 2008
Gil Sharone- Wicked Beats
John Blackwell- Hudson Master Series

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I can't believe you don't have Jens Hannemann's Complicated Drumming Techniques. This is a must have!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Never heard of it until you mentioned it, sounds interesting to say the least!
Actually, it's mostly a comedy. It's Saturday Night Live's Fred Armisen playing the role of Jens and it's incredibly funny because the playing is so bad, but it's done as a serious drum instructional video. Check it out on YouTube - he's basically making fun of every instructional video out there ;)

Numberless

Platinum Member
I only have Igoe's Great Hands for a Lifetime.

I really want Language of Drumming, Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer and The Master Drummer.

drummindan8484

Actually, it's mostly a comedy. It's Saturday Night Live's Fred Armisen playing the role of Jens and it's incredibly funny because the playing is so bad, but it's done as a serious drum instructional video. Check it out on YouTube - he's basically making fun of every instructional video out there ;)
Just watched a little bit, that is classic! Makes me wanna work on my flam rest, my Rick James style fills and buy 14 more toms!

drummindan8484

I really want Language of Drumming, Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer and The Master Drummer.
Yeah I want Language of Drumming too. Secret Weapons looks great for what it is but at this point in my drumming career I'm more interested in material that focuses on making music rather than complex hand techniques. If you have Riley's books the Master Drummer seems like it would be rather redundant.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member

I've got both the Benny Greb and the Jojo Mayer's DVD's - and oddly enough I enjoy watching Benny's more, Jojo's I like to watch him play - I don't get much out of the instructional part, probably 'cause I'm too lazy to work on my technique. But Steve Jordan's DVD I can have running in the background 24 hours a day because it was so musical and applicable to what I do. I love that guy probably more than Jenns Hannemann.

drummindan8484

I've got both the Benny Greb and the Jojo Mayer's DVD's - and oddly enough I enjoy watching Benny's more, Jojo's I like to watch him play - I don't get much out of the instructional part, probably 'cause I'm too lazy to work on my technique. But Steve Jordan's DVD I can have running in the background 24 hours a day because it was so musical and applicable to what I do. I love that guy probably more than Jenns Hannemann.
I don't know how that's possible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dL9zkftvT4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85F4bDcKb8Q&feature=relmfu

jeffwj

Platinum Member
Just as with my book collection, I have quite a few DVDs. Some of my favorites are the Joe Morello series from Hot Licks and the Joe Morello/Danny Gottlieb series.

And the videos from Vic Firth, while not DVDs, are free and very informative.
http://www.vicfirth.com/education/

Jeff

Numberless

Platinum Member
Well I'm still working on my hand technique so I think I can get something out of Jojo's dvd. I do have the Riley books and I heard the DVD goes with them quite nicely, plus I love watching JR play. The Steve Jordan dvd is The Groove is Here right? What does it cover?

I would also like a dvd focused on brushwork, is the Steve Smith one good?

Arky

Platinum Member
Here's the DVDs I have:

Florian Alexandru-Zorn - The Brush Secret
Greb, Benny - The Language Of Drumming
Grossmann, Hannes - Progressive Concepts (For The Modern Metal Drummer)
Kollias, George: Intense Metal Drumming (will get his 2nd DVD also - to be released soon)
Lang, Thomas - Creative Coordination & Advanced Foot Technique
Mayer, JoJo - Secret Weapons For The Modern Drummer
Pat Petrillo - Hands, Grooves, & Fills
Pat Petrillo - Learn To Read Rhythms... Better!
Ritter, Matt - Bass Drum Techniques For Today's Drummer - Unburying The Beater
Roddy, Derek - Blast Beats Evolved (his 2nd DVD to be released soon)
Todd Sucherman - Methods & Mechanics I & II
Waterson, Tim - Techniques, Motions And Applications For Bass Drum Playing

I'm not working too much from DVDs, I have too many basics to work on so there is simply no need to watch (any) DVDs too often. Todd Sucherman's 1st DVD gets the most rotation, followed by JoJo. Basically this is way more stuff than I'll ever need but you know how it is ;-)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Well I'm still working on my hand technique so I think I can get something out of Jojo's dvd. I do have the Riley books and I heard the DVD goes with them quite nicely, plus I love watching JR play. The Steve Jordan dvd is The Groove is Here right? What does it cover?

I would also like a dvd focused on brushwork, is the Steve Smith one good?
The Steve Jordan dvd covers more musical application things than technique stuff. I think if you're looking for a brush dvd, Ed Thigpen did a great one - you might as well learn from a master who actually did it with some of the biggest jazz artists ever.

drummindan8484

Well I'm still working on my hand technique so I think I can get something out of Jojo's dvd.
Sorry if I sounded kinda snobby in my last post, but anyway I kinda feel the same way that Bo does about it. I've only been playing for a little over 2 years so I do work on my technique, I'm just too lazy to work on a lot of the more complex technique stuff I personally am more interested in learning different styles/grooves/fills than the stuff that Jojo teaches.

The Steve Jordan dvd covers more musical application things than technique stuff. I think if you're looking for a brush dvd, Ed Thigpen did a great one - you might as well learn from a master who actually did it with some of the biggest jazz artists ever.
I don't own the Thigpen DVD but if it's even half as good as his book I'd go with that one!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Sorry if I sounded kinda snobby in my last post, but anyway I kinda feel the same way that Bo does about it. I've only been playing for a little over 2 years so I do work on my technique, I'm just too lazy to work on a lot of the more complex technique stuff I personally am more interested in learning different styles/grooves/fills than the stuff that Jojo teaches.

I don't own the Thigpen DVD but if it's even half as good as his book I'd go with that one!
Well, theoretically, I've worked on my technique for years. I've done alot of time with the Podemski book and time in drum corps, yet I see guys like Jojo and am inspired to get better, so I didn't want to give the impression that I've totally given up. But my technique is more of the applied variety these days. In fact, my whole way of playing has been of the applied variety - which means I'm just old school: I see something a guy does and like it, then I work on how to incorporate that into my playing. So sometimes it's too much to get into watching DVD's because then you can easily convince yourself that you'll never be good enough at all to do anything. It's much better to go see guys play live if you can and emulate the masters in your own playing. Then you can see why they do what they do and how it applies to the music they play.

But I still advocate everyone owning the Jenns Hannemann dvd ;)

dmacc_2

I personally only have two and am willing to bet I'll be selling one of them within the next year.

Keeping: John Riley - The Master Drummer
Selling: Steve Smith - History of the US Beat

I get much more from books than DVD's unless I'm watching actual concert footage of those that interest me.

Numberless

Platinum Member

Ah no it's ok, I understand.