Your day job and weekend warrior gigs.

Bozozoid

Gold Member
Any of you less interested in playing weekends because you work Saturdays?. Is it a drain on you working Saturday then setting up and playing until 1 AM ?. Maybe it energizes you thinking ya..the boys and I are rocking tonight. If you work how does it negatively or positively affect you. Some of you may even have kids to be concerned about as well as working..playing..and how it affects your family life. I need some kind of reference point to see if my musical moral compass is guiding me correctly so to speak. Do any of you get the drunks yelling freebird at last call?.

BobC

I work 9-5 Monday through Friday and have no trouble doing a Friday night gig. I'm lucky to have the continued energy to pull it off, which I chalk up to being in better shaper than I was 15-20 years ago. I also work in a local record store on Sundays, and don't have trouble getting there after a Saturday night gig.

I'm in sales, so my time is my own to schedule as I see fit. My employers don't much care what I do, as long as I make good numbers every month. On top of that, most of our gigs start earlier than they did years ago. I don't often get home at 3:00 am anymore.

Most of the calls for "Freeturd" are jokes these days, at least as far as we're concerned. We don't/won't play it.

JimmyM

Platinum Member
I was working Saturdays and Sundays during the pandemic, and other than occasional one offs at small places, I had zero desire to do it and a lot more desire to get a decent night of sleep.

mrjones

I work in a transmission shop full time and joined a band.and with having a family it just took the fun right out of it.id rather do covers at home.i was working , learning the songs ,band practice, taking care of stuff around the house .it drained me

mikyok

Platinum Member
I have a 9-5 office job in the NHS. I have no problems doing Friday gigs now we've cut the travelling down to 90mins tops.

I'm OK with it, the only problem is I'm not a morning person at the best of times and after a double shift the day before I'm like a bear with a sore arse that can only be appeased with lots of tea and bacon related things.

C. Dave Run

Silver Member
There is no way I could do it anymore. I suppose if I had to I could, but the adult in me is already thinking about what responsibilities would get neglected the next day.

TMe

I went through a phase where it was really rough. Now that I'm older, I find it fairly easy to take a long snooze after work and before heading out to a bar. That makes a big difference. I sort out my route and get all my gear packed the night before. That leaves me time for a good nap, and gets rid of the last minute frenzy of checking and double checking everything. But I only ever play local bars, and haven't done much of anything since the pandemic started. Just as things are getting back to normal, we need to find a new bassist. If it isn't one thing...

petrez

Well, I'm only 37 and I'm contemplating taking some fridays off work in September when we have 5 gigs in a row (one each weekend, three of them on fridays). Though, I'm 50% permitted now after the worse season ever at my workplace, so it feels better that way when I don't have to work each day anyway. Otherwise I do manage to play on fridays now and then, but I usually take off from work earlier on those days. I don't live close to a city we usually do gigs, so to manage setting up equipment and do a soundcheck, usually around 5-6 PM, if not earlier, it simply can not be done.

Last edited:
I’m 36, and I work Wednesday- Saturday day shift. I’d rather gig on Saturday than Friday. Lol but I love my band and the music we create, so im down to play a show whenever we can

BobC

I am 61 and have a high stress day job and still gig most Friday and Saturdays . I have been doing this for decades like BobC . It is just something I do and don’t feel any hardship .

It's weird that I have more energy now than I did years ago, but I'm not second guessing it; as I said before, I have been in bands steadily since 1979 without a break, except when there were no gigs due to COVID.

It seems that years ago, I had to sleep late Saturday and Sundays due to late hours, and often nap in the afternoon before a gig. Now, because we generally start earlier, I can get up at 8:30 on a Saturday and hang out with my grandson, do errands, and play a gig that night. Perhaps because I never abused my body with cigarettes, liquor and hard drugs, it's now paying benefits. My health is generally good, except for Type 2, my BP is good, the asthma is under control, and my ticker seems OK.

People my age are always surprised that I can still do five gigs in five days, but I can. I'm thankful for it, because I'm certainly not ready to hang my gig shoes up.

Last edited:

someguy01

Platinum Member
6-2,3,4,5 Monday- Saturday. I work outside, in the wonderful Mexican heat. So, yeah. I'll always be a hobbyist.
All that said, it sure is purty here.20220803_122810.jpg

mrjones

I work in a transmission shop full time and joined a band.and with having a family it just took the fun right out of it.id rather do covers at home.i was working , learning the songs ,band practice, taking care of stuff around the house .it drained me
I might have been able to do it.but I think my wife wasn't really happy about me never really being around. So she started to put the screws to me by adding stuff to my normal chores .🥺

Bozozoid

Gold Member
I might have been able to do it.but I think my wife wasn't really happy about me never really being around. So she started to put the screws to me by adding stuff to my normal chores .🥺
That's just great!..what if?..well?..dont get mad at her. Just don't share as much of your banana split next time. Then she'll know.

Bozozoid

Gold Member
I need to do it one more time befor I take the dirt nap. Not for an audience so much as the comaraderie of the musicians doing the best we can do and going over things in the dressing room over cake and pretzels. For (me) the sand in the ⌛ is running low.

Reactions: iCe