Your current goals

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
Do any of you have any plans beyond the weekend warrior status?. Anyone considering moving to a more heavily populated musical environment?. Is where you are now where you want to be in the future?.

I'll be retiring very soon. I will be moving to Florida (it's the law) with lots of time on my hands.
At the very least I want to get involved in a weekly ad-hoc 'Friday Night' Jam sessions with new found fellow musicians. If it doesn't already exist, I'll see what I can do to start one.
Also I wouldn't mind getting paid by playing out small early affairs.

I'll be retiring very soon. I will be moving to Florida (it's the law) with lots of time on my hands.
At the very least I want to get involved in a weekly ad-hoc 'Friday Night' Jam sessions with new found fellow musicians. If it doesn't already exist, I'll see what I can do to start one.
Also I wouldn't mind getting paid by playing out small early affairs.
Had a band director friend that moved to Fla.found gigs playing combo .
Everything from oom pa pa to Chicago.
Died about a year ago from esophageal cancer (cigarettes,and alcohol.)

I still need to get my double bass speed going faster
I need to redefine/rediscover my marimba chops

I still have some goals with my drumline program at school to reach as well...but these are from a teaching aspect. not a personal playing aspect

Play more shows, record more albums, maybe go on a new tour someday... Try to do the best for my band, but within reason. Don't have any ambition to make a living out of it, so it's mainly weekend shows, doing it for fun. Would be nice to play high attendence shows/festivals though.

Don't have any ambition to make a living out of it, so it's mainly weekend shows, doing it for fun. Would be nice to play high attendence shows/festivals though.
As for making a living from it, that ship has long sailed as far a thrash goes sadly (unless you're one of the Big 4)

1) Restarting the Dance/funk band that was close to have great shows booked when Civic started. We should restart practicing in October.
2) Talking some drums lessons with in term of priorities to learn, in that order, jazz, jazz rock, Funk, Blues, and rock.
3) Take again some classical and jazz piano lessons to get back to where I was 10 years ago. Goal is to be able to play the complete moonlight Sonata with the 3rd movement at a correct speed and to be ready to play it at my Mom's funeral, she has asked for that. She's the one who instilled the passion of music in me so, I have to give that to her in playing it.

I'm trying to make the move from weekend player to weekend warrior. The guys are networking and getting us better gigs, and I need to tighten up my skills to retain the contacts and build from them. I kind of wish they would slow down though, because I still mess up pretty badly sometimes.

I'm just glad to be back making a few quid of it again.

I have no desire to move from weekend warrior to full time musician. Far too many uncertainties, it's nice to do the weddings and the functions as a well paid bit on the side. I am by no means knocking the guys here who are full time musicians, kudos to you folks!

My main goal is to get the 8 piece soul band on the road.

For my house to burn down so I can rebuild without the gazillion issues. Beyond that, that %^!#@&^#%*&$^ paradiddle at any kind of usable speed.

I just finished several gigs in three bands. At every show, someone was signaling the start or the bridge or the outro or the solo. Everyone had tablets and/or binders with lyrics and music. Several bandmates did not listen to our previous recordings and did not learn the outro/ending of multiple tunes. The first performance of one band was an utter train wreck (It has been decades since I began a tune and the “1” was not played well). After this weekend and last night’s final performance, I realized I was the only person who wanted to work harder for better performances. I was one of three people who listened to our recordings (and made adjustments to my performances).

My new goal is to find musicians who want to play songs well, who want to listen to their performance and improve. This also means saying “no thanks” to guys who are always late and don’t know their parts.

I work with special needs kids as my career, then care for my elderly father the rest of my time.
So right now, time is the one thing I have the least of. "Weekend warrior" is all I can do (at the moment).

I still fill in for other drummers as a hired gun, and I'll take as many of those as I can spare the time for.

I work with special needs kids as my career, then care for my elderly father the rest of my time.
👏👏👏👏👏
You sir, are a f____n' hero. My wife has a very good friend that works with very low functioning autistic children, she's the same level of hero.

Back