Your best 5 Paiste Cymbals

Ransan

Not a Paiste fan, though if I were to get a set, it would be GB series.
However working at Jents back in early 2ks, there was a 16” Paiste Alpha Crystal Crash that had a funny flat bell. At the time, that was the only one that tempted me and I often thought about blending that in with my Sabians.
It sounded so nice exactly as a crash should.

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
My best 5 are the ones I'm using: 2002 14" Heavy Hats, 2002 10" Splash, 2002 16" Thin Crash, 2002 18" Thin Crash and a 22" Twenty Full Ride.

Lennytoons

I have a Formula 602 pre serial number 12" crash that I absolutely love.It's almost like a splash but has more of a fullness to it. I also have a pre serial number 602 16" crash that goes beautifully with my A Custom crashes. My blue label 602 is a 14" and is a bit more trashy than the others but still has a beautiful tone. My last one is a 18" pre serial number that is glassy, full and rich. It's one of my favorite cymbals of all time. I've really never owned other Paiste cymbals, the 602 series does it all for me. I can pair them with an A custom medium ride or a Sabian AA medium ride and they all fit together perfectly. I told my son that when I die make sure he grabs the ugly cymbals.

Elvis

Silver Member
My best 5, but not in any particular order, besides by size....

20" Signature Mellow Ride
20" Signature Traditional Light Ride
18" Signature Traditional Flat Ride
13" Signature Dark Energy Mk.1 Hi-Hat top
13" Signature Medium Hi-Hat bottom

...honourable mention...22" Paiste/Ludwig Standard Ride....a better stick might have made that one a keeper....if only it had occurred to me then. =(

Elvis

Quai34

Just realized I didn't update you yet on this: the guy who sold me the drums kit had a sound formula 16" Frankenstein logo that I found awesome, you have the first tone, then a perfect pitch 5th upper shimmering tone and then the 5th lower with they nice hum but not overwhelming one, great cymbal, then I also bought from him a 15" dark energy that goes very well with the sound formula... (It was a 16" but little crack so he has it cut and lathered by a pro guy, the tone is the same as the one I had listened to on their website??!!)...! And then, I found a good promo on a Meinl jazz Byzance 17" that goes crazy well with them too...So, thanks a lot for all your ideas and suggestions...

Last edited:

Quai34

That one, that one, that one, that one, and that one.

View attachment 98485
I got a sound formula like yours, mine is less shiny than that, I have the Meinl Cleaning and Protestant kit, I have the Sabian polish and the Zildjian polish, I was not able to find the Paiste polish at my store, I was thinking to use the Meinl as it seems to be the smoother one compared to Sabian or Zildjian, any thoughts?

Quai34

Holly crap, sorry guys, I'm between calls so, I wanted to say Protectant kit...you understood anyway, so better to use the Meinl on my own or to ask the little devout to do it for me?

cbphoto

Gold Member
Paiste SF tins have a shiny coating. Don’t use any chemicals on them. Even Paiste discontinued their cymbal cleaner. Use a soft cloth to wipe it down. If you gotta cut grease, I’d use 90%+ rubbing alcohol. It evaporates very quickly.

steverok

Silver Member
I'll add the 2002 Big Beat 20" to the mix. Very good bell, works really well as a large crash, or a light to medium crashable ride. It is so versatile, and I like it so much, such that I sold a 20" Zildjian K Crash-Ride.

Elvis

Silver Member
You Sound Formula guys realize that maybe those cymbals sounded so good was because they were actually Signature seconds.
When Paiste tightened up on the QC for the Sigs and gave that line a little wider variance as to what would actually be released to the general public, that's when the Sound Formula line went away.
This is why cymbals like the Flanger Ride went from being a Sound Formula cymbal to a Signature cymbal.

Elvis

cbphoto

Gold Member
You Sound Formula guys realize that maybe those cymbals sounded so good was because they were actually Signature seconds.
My sources told me the SF line used the same Sig. alloy sheets as the Sig line, but SF were CNC machine hammered, not hand hammered. It is now the “Signature Precision” line.

Elvis

Silver Member
The old PR guy for Paiste, Paul Presson, told me about that, back when he worked for them.