Your best 5 Paiste Cymbals

Quai34

Hi guys,
I have never had the opportunity to buy Paiste Cymbals, maybe because being in Canada, Sabian is a logical choice, then Zildjian as the leader and I discovered Meinl recently even if I was aware of the brand when I was living in France. So, among the 28 cymbals that I have and not planning to sell at all, there is not a single Paiste... Also, with the change rate, they are even more expensive than the Meinl...Oups, no, sorry, one Paiste 900 splash 12" Blue... A bit "Gongy" but Same color as the kit...
Last thing, when I was young, in France in the 80's Paiste was everywhere in every stores and stages and I'm assuming it was the 2002 lines that was selling the best for more rock sound in the bright register... The few of them that I heard online are a bit too bright for my ears...
So, what would be the 5 cymbals to buy from Paiste to get a nice little selection of cymbals that will give me the Paiste sound and that could also complement my cymbals (List in the signature)?
Let me know, like 2 rides, 2 crashes, one Hihat and one effect cymbals... Ok. That 6, well if you think about 6, I will take it too...

Last edited:

Ryan Culberson

Too many variables involved to give you an answer that works for you. What I may love in a cymbal sound, you may hate. The one quality I believe Paiste has over other brands, and is a contributing factor to why I play them, is the unique high end sparkle they are able to achieve, even with their darkest sounding cymbals.

I primarily play Masters Thins and Extra Thins, which are among Paiste’s darkest sounding cymbals. Even these have the high end Paiste zing. I don’t find that in other brands and I want it, so I play Paiste.

Hewitt2

Too many variables involved to give you an answer that works for you. What I may love in a cymbal sound, you may hate. The one quality I believe Paiste has over other brands, and is a contributing factor to why I play them, is the unique high end sparkle they are able to achieve, even with their darkest sounding cymbals.

I primarily play Masters Thins and Extra Thins, which are among Paiste’s darkest sounding cymbals. Even these have the high end Paiste zing. I don’t find that in other brands and I want it, so I play Paiste.
Arguably an even better strong point for Paiste is its rigid consistency (albeit some might consider that a drawback). Unlike brands like Zildjian where you really need to try before you buy, even for a cymbal at the exact size/model you already have, you can be assured that the sound and characteristics of a given Paiste model/size will likely hold true in successive purchases.

KamaK

Platinum Member
My brother has a set of Paiste Giant Beats.

I play K's and A's and often practice without hearing protection for light stuff. When I sat down at his GB's, they were shockingly bright for the palette that I had developed, and I threw on protection immediately.

Don't get me wrong, they sound great. They simply touch parts of the spectrum that I often forget exists.

Row

I don't know what sound you want so I'll just list what I like and you can listen on youtube.

602 - medium ride, sound edge hi hats, thin crash
Signature Traditionals - ALL models
Dark energy - ALL models
Signature - Fast crash, dark crisp hats, medium hats

Good luck

Captain Bash

Silver Member
As others have stated Paiste cymbals do something the other brands don’t do. My points of reference are similar sized sets of Bosphorus, Zildjian and Istanbul’s. The Paiste Twenties definitely posses something the other brands lack, a certain sparkle which helps cut without filling up all the middle frequencies.

I have a set of the old Paiste Twenties that are great for almost any type of loud guitar music. To get to specifics, if I know the bands guitarists are using classic tones eg. Gibson SG with Vox amp I pull out the Paistes, for me this is a great combination; sonic context matters. But to answer the OP question my favourites from the Paiste Twenties I have are simply 22” dark crisp ride (masters) and the 17”and 18“ crashes.

So what’s the downside, I would struggle to use these for lighter, or less dense music as they get loud quickly even with light playing with a wood tip 5A. But I restate this lack of lower dynamic is irrelevant in most guitar bands where what matters is a strong middle to upper dynamic range and a balanced range of frequencies.

OSDrums

The Dark Energy Hihat in 15“ is to die for, as is the 15“ Fo602 Modern Essentials Hihat. The 16“ Signature Full Crash is for me the prototype of a perfect crash sound. The DE crashes and the Signature Tradtionals Thin Crashes are outstanding. The 24“ Deep Ride from the Masters Series is also one of these cymbals you start playing on and you don‘t want to stop. All of these cost a fortune though, even here in Europe.

Justinhub2003

1. 14” Dark Energy hi hats: they sound great in a recording and aren’t over bearing. The open hat sound is great.
2. 22” dark energy Ride mark I- my favorite ride on the planet. Dark and complex
3. 22” signature dry heavy “monad” ride.... just got this and already it’s my go to for heavier music
4. 17” dark energy crash... it just sounds great. One of my go to’s
5. 21” dark energy mark II ride... this was my go to rock ride until I got the monad. Great ping and brighter than the Mark I

almost famous:
14” 2002 sound edge hats.... I’ll never get rid of these, the definitive Paiste sound for me
10” dark energy splash... not a huge splash hit but this sounds great.

any of my 2002 crashes because it’s the sound that reminds me of John Bonham.

Justinhub2003

The Dark Energy Hihat in 15“ is to die for, as is the 15“ Fo602 Modern Essentials Hihat. The 16“ Signature Full Crash is for me the prototype of a perfect crash sound. The DE crashes and the Signature Tradtionals Thin Crashes are outstanding. The 24“ Deep Ride from the Masters Series is also one of these cymbals you start playing on and you don‘t want to stop. All of these cost a fortune though, even here in Europe.
Masters series are next on my agenda.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Out of the ones I've owned over the years I only have 3 left. A 602 15" Soundedge bottom, a 20" Rude China and a Stambul 20" Crash Ride

Others that have served me well are
20 Giant Beat - Amazing cymbal
18" Giant Beat
22" 2002 Heavy Ride
14" Rude Hats - so underated more like new beats in weight
24" Dimension Mega Bell Ride
17" & 19" 2002 Wild Crashes
14" Signature Soundedges
18" 2002 & Rude Crashes

If you want consistent clean sounding cymbals paiste can't be beaten. You can buy blind brand new in faith.

Quai34

Thanks a lot for all the answer, it will be long sessions of watching video on YouTube for the evenings to come so that I could get an idea of what the series sound like... I'm not at a specific sound to look for, just not knowing Paiste and what they can do seems to be a way to miss opportunities to big sounds...I know Zildjian, I worked on Sabian, then Meinl, not Paiste... I have already quite a lot of cymbals, well, if I remove all the effect and splash cymbals not that much but with what you gave me, I'm golden now, thanks a lot all of you, I will get you some news about my new journey on Paiste land...

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I mainly use all 2002's.
14" sound Edge Hi Hats
19" Crashes
22" Power Ride
18" China

This is my "go to" for studio and gigs. However when it comes to particular gigs that are a little edgier, I also have two sets of the 900 Colorsounds. One in Black and one in Red. Both sets are the same sizes and models as my 2002's with the exception of the Crashes being Heavy Crashes to cut through the guitars more.

RickP

Gold Member
I have owned full sets of all the Paiste professional lines . My current Paiste setup is comprised of 602 classic and Modern Essentials . To be specific :
15” 602 ME hihats - Shane Kinney told me these were best hihats ever and he was right .

16” and 18” thin crashes - glassy , crisp and quick just like I want my crashes to be .

18” Modern Essentials crash - warmer and fuller sounding than the 18” thin 602 crashes .This crash needs a bit more effort to open up than the 602 thin crashes - still abewutidul crash that plays well with the 18” thin crash .

20” Medium ride - my favourite crashable ride - love taking this ride with just the 18” thin crash to gigs when space it at a premium .

My second favourite line from Paiste is the Traditional line followed by the Masters line .
I have a Traditional 22” Light ride in transit that I am really looking forward to receiving .

The sadly discontinued Dimensions line were a favourite of mine . Wonderful and versatile cymbals .