You know you are a drummer when...

DrWorm

I heard the word flammable and my mind did not immediately think "able to be lit on fire" or "combustible" but rather that a flam could be executed on it.

What are your examples?

When you buy a car based on how well your hardware case fits in it.

When a bunch of people are clapping, you try to do a polyrhythm against the guy clapping next you.

When you drum in your sleep.

When you spend your college days only eating only one can of beans per day, so you save up to buy a new cymbal.

I remember listening to the radio a while back with my dad. There was an ac/dc song playing. I go he's using 2oo2's right?

If you air-drum while waiting for the microwave even if don't have any music playing, then you might be a drummer.

If you purposely use a much lower microwave "power" setting just so you have more time to air-drum, then you might be a drummer.

If you air-drum while sitting on the toilet - even long after you're finished, then you might be a drummer.

If you air-drum to the rhythm of a washer or dryer, then you might be a drummer.

If you drum on nearby surfaces to the rhythm of the washer or dryer, then you might be a drummer.

If you drum on the washer or dryer itself to its rhythm, then you might be a drummer.

If you feel rudely interrupted when the washer or dryer stops, then you might be a drummer.

And of course, if you air-drum to the rhythm of a dishwasher, then you might be a drummer.

If you always drum on the sink with your hands while waiting for the water to get hot, then you might be a drummer.

If you are in the middle of doing the dishes and you stop and drum on the sink (and counter tops) with your hands for 10 minutes, then you might be a drummer.

If, while waiting for your computer to do something, you start drumming on the desk or your keyboard tray (or both), then you might be a drummer.

If you're standing in front of your collection of DVD movies trying to decide which movie you want to watch only to end up air-drumming for 20 minutes instead of choosing a movie, then you might be a drummer.

If you air-drum with eating utensils, then you might be a drummer.

If you always try to walk in specific rhythms, then you might be a drummer.

If you air-drum on top of walking in a specific rhythm, then you might be a drummer.

If you drum on your desk or keyboard tray while you're just sitting there thinking, then you might be a drummer.

If you walk up or down a flight of steps in a specific rhythm, then you might be a drummer.

If you accompany that rhythm with patterns on the railings, then you might be a drummer.

If you intentionally take the stairway instead of the elevator just so you can drum on the railings and listen to the awesome reverb and low-end, then you might be a drummer.

If you drum on your steering wheel at every single red light, then you might be a drummer.

If, while you're on the phone, you always have a drumstick in your hand playing on various quiet surfaces, then you might be a drummer.

If you can't listen to classical music without air-drumming to it, then you might be a drummer.

If you can't focus on a conference call at work because you're too busy quietly playing to the rhythms of their speech, then you might be a drummer.

If you air-drum while waiting for the microwave even if don't have any music playing, then you might be a drummer.

If you purposely use a much lower microwave "power" setting just so you have more time to air-drum, then you might be a drummer.

If you air-drum while sitting on the toilet - even long after you're finished, then you might be a drummer.

If you air-drum to the rhythm of a washer or dryer, then you might be a drummer.

If you drum on nearby surfaces to the rhythm of the washer or dryer, then you might be a drummer.

If you drum on the washer or dryer itself to its rhythm, then you might be a drummer.

If you feel rudely interrupted when the washer or dryer stops, then you might be a drummer.

And of course, if you air-drum to the rhythm of a dishwasher, then you might be a drummer.

If you always drum on the sink with your hands while waiting for the water to get hot, then you might be a drummer.

If you are in the middle of doing the dishes and you stop and drum on the sink (and counter tops) with your hands for 10 minutes, then you might be a drummer.

If, while waiting for your computer to do something, you start drumming on the desk or your keyboard tray (or both), then you might be a drummer.

If you're standing in front of your collection of DVD movies trying to decide which movie you want to watch only to end up air-drumming for 20 minutes instead of choosing a movie, then you might be a drummer.

If you air-drum with eating utensils, then you might be a drummer.

If you always try to walk in specific rhythms, then you might be a drummer.

If you air-drum on top of walking in a specific rhythm, then you might be a drummer.

If you drum on your desk or keyboard tray while you're just sitting there thinking, then you might be a drummer.

If you walk up or down a flight of steps in a specific rhythm, then you might be a drummer.

If you accompany that rhythm with patterns on the railings, then you might be a drummer.

If you intentionally take the stairway instead of the elevator just so you can drum on the railings and listen to the awesome reverb and low-end, then you might be a drummer.

If you drum on your steering wheel at every single red light, then you might be a drummer.

If, while you're on the phone, you always have a drumstick in your hand playing on various quiet surfaces, then you might be a drummer.

If you can't listen to classical music without air-drumming to it, then you might be a drummer.

If you can't focus on a conference call at work because you're too busy quietly playing to the rhythms of their speech, then you might be a drummer.

This post could have been condensed to say "you air drum all the time" :)

I play the steering wheel all the time while driving (and switch to left handed playing so I can properly play the bass drum without constantly inadvertantly accelerating) and get annoyed when I have to turn during a fill.

This post could have been condensed to say "you air drum all the time" :)
lol I kinda do. :)

I play the steering wheel all the time while driving (and switch to left handed playing so I can properly play the bass drum without constantly inadvertantly accelerating) and get annoyed when I have to turn during a fill.
During a fill. hehe I like that because it's true for me too!

When you buy a car based on how well your hardware case fits in it.

Guilty. The other day I packed up my set and had a tough time fitting all my cases into the bed of my truck. I didn't think that I should downsize, rather, that I should've gone with the regular cab with the extended bed.

Keep 'em coming, I'm laughing my butt off over here.

AJ

If you wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep because now you're drumming on your mattress while you're still laying in your preferred sleeping position, then you might be a drummer.

When ....

... everyone is fussing over a transition and whether they should stick to the A or play a D passing chord and you're thinking, "Shut up and let's play already!".

... you're the first to turn up, the last to be ready and the last to carry your stuff out to the car.

... you hear the playback and realise there was actually music going on when you thought it was all just drums, drums and more drums.

You're supposed to be giving your significant other a back rub, but are really practicing your paradiddles.

Haha! I'm guilty of that to! The only time i get aggravated is when my steering gets out of line and i'm constantly haveing to grab the wheel to keep my truck straight on the road. That messes up my groove everytime! lol

I also find myself air drumming quiet a bit. Just the other day we were at church and i was air drumming. I didn't think anyone noticed until i looked over and seen two old ladies stareing at me like i had a medical condition or something. It was embaressing but i didn't mind. I almost asked them if they had any request!! lol

Love this one!! My sticks are with me at all times in the car and I hate rush hour traffic.. having to switch back and forth on the pedals screws up my tempo. I think I need to get my alignment checked because it's really annoying having to constantly correct my steering while working on rudiments. Also wish they could design the steering wheel differently so I can get a truer rebound. Wonder if I can turn a radar detector dash mount into a mount for a practice pad!!!

...When you are counting - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - and then suddenly the band mates get ahead or behind the count. Drummers for sure know how to count!!!

I'm pretty sure I get terrible gas mileage because along with hand drumming on the steering wheel, I also use the gas pedal as a kick pedal, constantly trying to feather it on and off to keep my speed constant. It seems to help with finesse on my actual kick pedal as well!

When people are clapping, I'm thinking of a rhythm I should be clapping, then play cross rhythms over that...
I always clap triplets or 3-2 clave over others clapping. It always puts someone off..

Oh... Its all about the off beat clapping! And I thought I was the only one to do this!

You know you are a drummer when.....You just can't stop tapping!

Sam

hitting my thigh's with my hands while walking..........in rhythm of course....lol

my poor steering wheel.........ha ha

no matter what's on the tv if there's a drumset you got too check what kind of drums & cymbals they are.

anything that's around me suddenly turns into a drumset............ lmao

Bonzolead

When ....

... everyone is fussing over a transition and whether they should stick to the A or play a D passing chord and you're thinking, "Shut up and let's play already!".

... you're the first to turn up, the last to be ready and the last to carry your stuff out to the car.

... you hear the playback and realise there was actually music going on when you thought it was all just drums, drums and more drums.

This is the true essence of being a drummer!

Back