You know you’re getting old when...

Smoke

Silver Member
You know your old when your boss,pastor/rabbi/counselor, physicians, coworkers, band mates, spouse, ....,are ALL younger than you. I had an uncle who lived to be in his 90s still active , driving, doing his thing . I’d always ask how he was doing and he’d always say “Really good except most everyone I’ve known in life is dead.” I’d just laugh it off but now sheesh
My dad made it to 87. Said he'd get the newspaper and check the obituaries first to see if his name was there. I was getting into my late 50's and would often quiz him on "getting older." He said, "Time really flies - if you're not paying attention, you might miss a whole season!" After attending a schoolmate's funeral he remarked, "Ya know? I just realized. I've got more dead family and friends than I do living ones!?!" I haven't tipped THAT scale yet, but the >living< pan is getting lighter.

P

Peedy

When you use pot for the pain and not for the fun.
I'm gonna call a lower case bs on this one. I would claim that it's WHEN you're older, if you use such things, you've become wise enough to understand the importance of integrating the two. But OF COURSE, I'm not talking from experience. Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge, say no more.

P

Peedy

You know you're getting old when . . . you totally identify with the title character rather than the Neil Young's perspective at the time.

Pete

Chollyred

My dad made it to 87. Said he'd get the newspaper and check the obituaries first to see if his name was there. I was getting into my late 50's and would often quiz him on "getting older." He said, "Time really flies - if you're not paying attention, you might miss a whole season!" After attending a schoolmate's funeral he remarked, "Ya know? I just realized. I've got more dead family and friends than I do living ones!?!" I haven't tipped THAT scale yet, but the >living< pan is getting lighter.
A pastor friend was visiting a 102 year old lady in the nursing home. She was still in great health. The pastor asked her "When you get to heaven, what questions do you have to GOD?" She said "I'm going to ask him what I did wrong to live so long. All of my friends, all of my kids, and some of my grandchildren have all passed away. I don't have any friends my age, so why?"

She passed away two days later.....

oldmetalhead

You know you are getting old when the majority of music out there does not use acoustic drums, has no feeling or meaning, relies on dumb videos that show excessive amounts of bling, weed and women wearing almost nothing.

P

Peedy

You know you're getting old when. . . you can't remember the last time you put your pants on standing up.

Pete

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

defining moment number one:
- in 1998, I was playing Iron Maiden at school while tuning the marching drums before a competition, as has been my tradition for a long time.
One of the kids came in, and said" what is this?"
I proudly announced " Iron Maiden!!"
He said: " dude...that's old people music"
I was stunned, bbut not long enough to give him 30 push ups

defining moment number 2:
- being at a Rush concert on the Test For Echo tour, jumped up when they took the stage and started air drumming like always. From behind me, many voices saying "Sit down! We can't see the band..."...I was crushed...what a bunch of lame wads

defining moment 3:
- my heart attack 2 years ago....more of a wake up call. Many told me to "slow down", but no way...I am still living, but now just eating better and watching my weight. I do have a ton of pills to take now in the morning, which sort of sucks

teaching kids definitely keeps me young in many way's, cause I am damned if I am gonna let those little suckers be better than me at stuff!!!

I have always believed that you are only as old as you allow yourself to be...so I am still really about 27, even thought my body tries to tell me I am 50

Chollyred

It's a privilege to grow old! One of the perks is having stories! We grew up in a time where we got away with tons of things that kids get arrested for today. Companies taught you what they wanted you to know and were more like family, and it was fun to go to work! We could pull practical jokes or make comments that would send us to HR or get us fired today. We had all the great bands and concerts! The cool muscle cars! etc....

You know you're getting old though when all the people you work with now are roughly half your age, and when you start telling one of your stories, you see the eyes roll.

When you realize that you're the 3rd oldest person in the building.

When your boss picks up things and holds doors open for you.

When you get to work early so you can take a 20 minute nap in the parking lot before going in....

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

It's a privilege to grow old! One of the perks is having stories! We grew up in a time where we got away with tons of things that kids get arrested for today. Companies taught you what they wanted you to know and were more like family, and it was fun to go to work! We could pull practical jokes or make comments that would send us to HR or get us fired today. We had all the great bands and concerts! The cool muscle cars! etc....
100% agree!!!! But pining about this just makes us old men ;)

People are definitely softer today though...I think that is part of the reason we have so many issues with violence in this culture, but that is for another topic

P

Peedy

100% agree!!!! But pining about this just makes us old men ;)

People are definitely softer today though...I think that is part of the reason we have so many issues with violence in this culture, but that is for another topic
Uh, actually no. Violent crime is about half it's historic high (FBI Crime Stats).

i.e. - Murder Rate per 100,000 in 1980 was 10.2. 2018 was at 5.0.
Violent crime overall per 100,00 in 1980 was 758.1. While 2018 was at 380.6.

My gut feeling is that we need to put this in the "Things were always. . ." Better/Worse etc, when I was younger category of our topic. I think the false perception of this comes from the fact that we get news of things in a much different manner today.

Sorry, Social Studies degree kicking in here bigtime.

Pete