You know you’re getting old when...

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

They changed the name of those? Why?
When speaking to an IT guy and he asks for a serial number, and you say number sign for #, and he says, did you mean hashtag?

yeah...to me, that sign is a sharp # and this is a flat b and the sharp always gets called a hashtag...it drives me nuts, but I have to remember that it is the world they live in...

moodman

That's quite a list. Do all these birds live in your neck of the woods? And no roadrunners?

We have a good chunk on that list here in Arkansas. Of all the different birds we have, I'm fascinated by the turkey vulture. They are everywhere. And they are huge. Sometimes they will be munching on a carcass on the side of the road and bow up to the car as you drive by. If you watch them, they fly for miles on end without ever flapping their wings. Sometimes, one turkey vulture will be alone riding a thermal, gaining altitude. Next thing you know there are 20 of them, all riding the same thermal. It's a very interesting bird.

I mentioned in another thread about a summer tanager tapping on my window. It's still doing it at like 6:00 in the morning. Part of me doesnt care, part of me wants to set a mousetrap with berries.
I saw most of these from my backyard in Lafayette, In. We were near the Wabash river, under migration routes and we visited wildlife preserves in Indiana and Illinois. We fed the birds and actually were registered with an organization that promoted that. The most striking, to me, were the flocks of Blue Herons and Egrets we've seen when, most often, you see just a lone one and when we passed a large, open field which had hundreds of wild Turkeys .
We now live in the woods in southern Indiana, the birds don't need fed most of the time and we see less of them though there are plenty around.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
My kid brought home a light bulb today for her room. It contains a chip and is remote operated. A light bulb. Now I know for sure I'm getting old.
I go into a lot of different homes and I see too way too many with kitchen trash cans that I have to push a button to lift the lid. There's a bunch of electronic options so I can control exactly how I want the trash can lid to open. So I have to read the trash can.

Oh. My. God!

Simplicity is where it's at.

Not complex for something as banal as a trash can. Overthinking a little?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I go into a lot of different homes and I see too way too many with kitchen trash cans that I have to push a button to lift the lid. There's a bunch of electronic options so I can control exactly how I want the trash can lid to open. So I have to read the trash can.

Oh. My. God!

Simplicity is where it's at.

Not complex for something as banal as a trash can. Overthinking a little?
I agree. There are just some things I don't want to be "smart". Light bulbs and trash cans fit that list.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
All of the bulbs in my house are Smart bulbs on a timer, controlled by my phone, or set on Vacation mode, for on/off at varying times.
I'll just keep using the switches.

I can see future homes not having switches. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
The only issue is a power outage, yesterday during a storm, and once the power comes back on, I have to grab the phone and turn them all off. And there are voice activated switches as well

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

All of the bulbs in my house are Smart bulbs on a timer, controlled by my phone, or set on Vacation mode, for on/off at varying times.

yeah...I will never have a "smart" home...I don't want other people to have that much access to my little world.

the furnace guy came out 2 months ago to do a check up and was surprised that we did not have a "smart" thermostat system. He saw our system and said "woahh...I haven't worked on one of these in a while..."

Went into two different rooms for something today and forgot why I was in each of them 🙄. I’m really starting to worry about me 😂

the kids at school make fun of me b/c I lose and misplace things constantly. In fact, one family got me a couple of those Tile things for my keys b/c I lose them so much at practice

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
the furnace guy came out 2 months ago to do a check up and was surprised that we did not have a "smart" thermostat system. He saw our system and said "woahh...I haven't worked on one of these in a while..."
I'm putting in baseboard heat this year. The major freeze this winter was more than our little heaters could handle. I had to get thermostats to control them. I got the most basic thing I could get, a dial on the heater. It's got off, then like a volume knob for heat. There arent even any numbers on it. It dont get no dumber than that.

I dont want a smart house either. You cant hack a deadbolt too easily. I like that.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I'm putting in baseboard heat this year. The major freeze this winter was more than our little heaters could handle. I had to get thermostats to control them. I got the most basic thing I could get, a dial on the heater. It's got off, then like a volume knob for heat. There arent even any numbers on it. It dont get no dumber than that.

I dont want a smart house either. You cant hack a deadbolt too easily. I like that.

yep....I know 3 people whose homes were hacked...and about the same whose cars were hacked while they were driving. No thanks.

I will proudly go to my grave fighting that kind of technology

when i bought my new truck, the saleslady was shocked, and sort of perturbed, that I wanted her to turn off all of that crap in the truck:
SL: " how will you know when you need maintenance?"
me; " I will hear/smell/see it"

SL:" how will you know when you are drifting out of your lane?"
me: " I don't drift out of lanes"

SL:" how will you answer a text/phone call while driving"
me...trying not to punch her

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
SL:" how will you answer a text/phone call while driving"
Yes, because this is so important. I'm gonna do it the exact same way I always do: when I get home.

I dont even care what the stupid Allstate app wants from me anymore. I sped? Dont care. I stopped too fast? No accidents happened. I drove in the dark? My kid needed a ride home.

I'm in the car to drive it. Nothing else has any importance over that. I wish other people felt the same way.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Yes, because this is so important. I'm gonna do it the exact same way I always do: when I get home.

I dont even care what the stupid Allstate app wants from me anymore. I sped? Dont care. I stopped too fast? No accidents happened. I drove in the dark? My kid needed a ride home.

I'm in the car to drive it. Nothing else has any importance over that. I wish other people felt the same way.

yeah...Toyota insurance has been pestering me with emails and snail mail about not having my driving information turned on. It is all a sales gimmic.

I will admit i drive like an old man b/c I am trying to get the best MPG I can out of the truck. I am sure the insurnce company would give me some discounted rates, but I don't need them spying on me all the time to do so.

I just had my 5000 mile maintenance, and the service guy asked " do you even use the brakes? There is not much wear on these" I told him that I coast to stops whenever possible, and I rarely slam or ride the brakes. The truck is said to avg 16 MPG in the city...I get 20-21 b/c I don't speed, and stomp the pedal.

Macarina

Silver Member
Maybe it’s because I’m getting old, but I no longer have the patience for this kinda crap. It happened to me…No joke, I’m not the only one. My wife bought me this box cutter. I had to watch a video to figure out how A BOX CUTTER WORKS!!!