You know you’re getting old when...

someguy01

And company names with intentional misspellings to seem tough, or street, or whatever. I'm not gonna hire anyone with the word boyz, pawz, dawg, or any other blatant grammatical error regardless of reputation.
Boost mobile "Where you at?"
I learned in the 2nd grade that you don't end a sentence with a preposition.
"To boldly go where no man has gone before" or, to split infinitives with zero regard to grammatical rules for writing.
My mother is a preK-5 grade teacher and my sister has a BA in English lit and an MLS. Poor grammar and spelling were totally unacceptable in my house.
Ask the average twenty-something to write you a proper paragraph using only pen and paper with no thesaurus suggestions, grammar checks, or spell check. Wait for the hilarity to ensue when you get the result.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Boost mobile "Where you at?"
I learned in the 2nd grade that you don't end a sentence with a preposition.
"To boldly go where no man has gone before" or, to split infinitives with zero regard to grammatical rules for writing.
My mother is a preK-5 grade teacher and my sister has a BA in English lit and an MLS. Poor grammar and spelling were totally unacceptable in my house.
Ask the average twenty-something to write you a proper paragraph using only pen and paper with no thesaurus suggestions, grammar checks, or spell check. Wait for the hilarity to ensue when you get the result.
My current favorite: Little Cesar's "Cheesiest Most Bestest". That's just ignorant. Good on ya, Little Cesar's. Making people fat and stupid one slice at a time.

My mom has a journalism degree, she is a grammar nazi. She would edit all of my written homework and make me write it again if there were errors. I feel your pain.

wraub

I dont understand some names anymore. The days of Bob and Susan are gone. On the news last night, I found out that one of the starting pitchers for the UofA baseball team is named Zebulon Vermillion. WTF is that?!? Now I'm not making fun of his name, but I dont get it. That's not the name of a human. Maybe a space probe, a laser gun, a distant galaxy. Names keep getting weirder and weirder.

And company names with intentional misspellings to seem tough, or street, or whatever. I'm not gonna hire anyone with the word boyz, pawz, dawg, or any other blatant grammatical error regardless of reputation. If you cant spell, or think spelling is not important, I question your work ethic as well.

And then there is the problem of our language being reduced to text speak. One should not say LOL but then not laugh.

Now GOML!

Last edited:

moodman

When, you remember when "TV" had 3 channels and they went off at 11pm, the world had less than 2 billion humans, Chuck Berry was the hottest, most emulated rock guitarist and you didn't consider your phone an appendage you can't do without. Sounds nice but, all the social ills now being dealt with, weren't then, so much for the good old days.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Sure do - CBS, NBC and ABC. They signed off with The Star Spangled Banner and nobody was offended.
I would try to stay up late on the weekends but always fell asleep, and that stuff used to wake me up. After the Star Spangled Banner was either snow and noise or a test pattern with that god awful beep that went on forever.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I know I’m old because now after my shower and I stand before sink and start flexing my muscles, like a teenager, they are still there but just look like they are in a loose sack of crepe paper. Bigger muscles takes some of sag but it still looks like crepe paper. Believe me I try. It just looks so old and so much sun damage like wrinkled leather when I tan . I’m turning into a flying squirrel LOL. I’ll soon be parasailing as I think all that loose crepe should stretch out and I’ll be airborne. No waxed feathers for me to suffer Icarus fate. y’all can call me Rocky- one old flying squirrel. I’ll need goggles- I’ll go steam punk

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
You remember going to a phone booth and tapping out your buddy's number using the phone cradle to make a free call. (rotary phone, no tone yet!)
This is in the little town I live in. It still works, and is the first phone booth to be on the national historic register (2015). It now has a historical marker next to it.

530px-Prairie_Grove_Airlight_Outdoor_Telephone_Booth_5_of_5.jpeg

moodman

You remember going to a phone booth and tapping out your buddy's number using the phone cradle to make a free call. (rotary phone, no tone yet!)
My first phone number (party line) was 5849, then 99849 then 379-9849 then (812) 379-9849 starting in the 50's.

wraub

...when Taco Bell spicy is just too spicy.

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
This is in the little town I live in. It still works, and is the first phone booth to be on the national historic register (2015). It now has a historical marker next to it.

View attachment 101326
Wow Larry I couldn't change into my Superman and Dr Who outfit with the loss of telephone booths. Looks like I'm back in business. I bet people have been calling and I haven't been their to answer the call. Looks like it's in the middle of an open field. That's good someone will need binoculars to see me change.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Reminds me of college days people would sneak neighbors cable and one room mate had one of those technician phones and he would go outside of house and hook up to line to use phone for his "business activities". If I could go back in time I would try my best to keep cell phones from ever being created LOL. My bad.