You ever notice.....

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
They are selling to people who want new or upgrades and cetainly can't advertise old drums. Just like cars, Car and driver doesn't have ads for old cars. Articles on old cars, vintage cars and car shows , but ads are for new cars. Boating magazine same thing. They have articles on old but all ads are for new. But then again, I wonder what the average age for drums is in the studio.???

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
They are selling to people who want new or upgrades and cetainly can't advertise old drums. Just like cars, Car and driver doesn't have ads for old cars. Articles on old cars, vintage cars and car shows , but ads are for new cars. Boating magazine same thing. They have articles on old but all ads are for new. But then again, I wonder what the average age for drums is in the studio.???
True. But when you read the interviews, I would say the ratio between guitarists talking about their favorite "old" axes to drummers talking about their favorite old kits is 10 to 1. I know there are a lot of Frankenstein kits out there working, it would just be nice to hear about them more, but I guess drums are not like stringed instruments - drummers do not have relationships with them, and I think it's kinda sad.

BonsaiMagpie

but I guess drums are not like stringed instruments - drummers do not have relationships with them, and I think it's kinda sad.
That's true. When I had guitars they all got names because they felt like personalities. Now i have drums, there are no names, just drums.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Regarding drums vs guitars: you hardly hear about "well worn" or "broken in" drums as you do guitars/basses... when's the last time you saw a "road relic" drum kit for sale at 5x the cost of a new one?
Now how do you get that job? Give me anything abrasive and I'll happily age guitars all day long. Fender have probably released the Hendrix post-gig Woodstock strat, lovingly doused in petrol and scorch marks replicated to the nearest singe

Call me old fashioned but every gig knock should have a story behind it personal to the owner, obviously we don't go out of our way to damage our gear but they happen.

Yeah, I did a relic job on my 63' Slingerland set. They could be worth a fortune. Well they are to me. I've had them since 1963. LOL

View attachment 88124
Stunning, they're priceless drums cos you ain't selling em. Again that's an instument with a lot of stories.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
drums are not like stringed instruments - drummers do not have relationships with them
IDK about that. When I get a kit, it becomes one of my kids more or less. It doesn't get a name, but it does become involved in a symbiotic relationship where it makes me happy, and in return I treat it with love and respect. I never sell a kit I become one with unless absolutely necessary. I feel bad about selling drum gear. It takes a piece of me with it. I had to sell the giant kit I gigged with due to the recession in 2009. I still miss it. It was supposed to be my forever kit. I had it for 17 years. There was definitely a relationship. I knew every piece of that kit inside and out, screws, nuts, bolts, lugs, everything. I was heartbroken when I was forced to sell it. Ive had 3 kits like that in my life, I still have 2. I love my kits so much I actually have a barrier around them to keep my dogs from getting near them.

Guitars on the other hand are like cheap women to me. I buy ones I think are pretty. I hang them on the wall to look at. I might play it every once in a blue moon. I don't love them, really I could care less. There is no personal relationship involved. As a matter of fact last time I played my guitar the high E broke. I bought more strings, but still haven't changed them. I have absolutely no problem selling guitars if I need extra money. They are the first to go actually. I feel a bit guilty at first, but that feeling soon fades and eventually I get another one to look at. I have owned way more guitars than drums, and in a shorter period of time.

So yes, there definitely IS a relationship between me and my instrument. If I wasn't in love with it, why in the world have I dedicated a huge portion of my life to becoming one with it? Seems a little silly to think of drums as just stuff IMO.

IBitePrettyHard

This is why Rhythm/Modern Drummer really annoys me. Every new product is the best thing since sliced bread and you never see them say, "well this product is a piece of shit, avoid it like the plague!" Call me cynical but these publications are being paid to favourable reviewed by drum companies.

Most of the big endorsees get a new kit for every tour. If a drum company is going to throw free gear at you for their own maketing, you're not gonna say no. Imagine what guys like Gadd, Jeff, Vinny, JR were given in the 70s and 80s. A new kit will be more reliable for touring and the endorsee has to shill the product as part of the endorsement. Always love hearing the bullshit justifications for a huge set. Still yet to hear someone say play this setup because I have a tech who sets it up for me and the road crew carries it everywhere.

It's shameless marketing for sure but the fact we all notice it for whatever reason means it works. There is always someone with more money than brain cells that will buy whatever is being pushed on us!
The drum world needs more objective drum reviewers for sure. The closest we have to that is probably Drummer's Review.

Nick D'Virgilio's Sweetwater demos are great, but he can't list any negatives. He's a salesman so it's understandable.

The drum world needs a reviewer like Doug DeMuro. He does in-depth car reviews on Youtube. He scrutinizes every inch of the vehicle and talks about every "quirk and feature" he can find.....stuff you'd never know by reading a car magazine or a print ad.

Drums have 'quirks and features' too that usually aren't mentioned in articles. It's only after you buy the kit that you discover positive or negative quirks about them.

mikyok

Platinum Member
The drum world needs more objective drum reviewers for sure. The closest we have to that is probably Drummer's Review.

Nick D'Virgilio's Sweetwater demos are great, but he can't list any negatives. He's a salesman so it's understandable.

The drum world needs a reviewer like Doug DeMuro.
Drummers review is great, I watch a lot of their vids.

Totally get the thing with sweetwater vids. If I hear Nick say a snare 'feels great in the hands' once more :) The other thing with the sweetwater vids is the heads are usually swapped out.

Need to check Doug DeMuro out

BonsaiMagpie

Drummers review is great, I watch a lot of their vids.
I love drummer's review. I watch all the time, even for drums I won't like just to see them put through the process. They are so polite and efficient with each review and really get to the crux of the kit, snare or cymbals.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I play either my Gretsch USA Custom kit or my DW Collector's Series kit at every gig. The main advantage of modern gear is improved hardware. My kits always look and sound sharp. My hardware is always DW, my cymbals are Zildjian, my snare drum can be anything. (DW, Gretsch, Ludwig, Noble & Cooley, Craviotto...)

I'm pretty spoiled.
Clearly.

I find hardware is what needs to be upgraded to a certain point as I feel they take the most abuse. I've played my Gretsch Catalina Club for well over a decade and have never felt the need to play a higher level kit.
The one I have sounds great & does all I want.

The hardware though is another story. I've had some pretty crap pedals & stands over the years & once you get the ones that work how you want & are built to last, you're good to go.

Old Dog new Cans

Staff artists are billboards. Just like golfers with the brand new TM driver every year. Or the new Jordans or Lebron's jumpman shoes. They're selling whether they want to or realize it or care. And if I "work" for Pearl or DW, endorsing their products, I won't turn ANYTHING down they send me!

I was out of drumming for over 15 years. Nearly EVERYTHING I own now is new. I did of course buy vintage Zildjian cymbals and used snares. I actually have a collection of snares now, surprises me.