You ever just buy new gear and get it home and you're like eh

bearblastbeats

After dropping some major coin on a 30th Anniversary ride, setting it up next to my sig ride, I'm not really feeling it.

It feels to abrasive to my ears and sig is just smooth like buttah.

petrez

Not if I've tried it first, but some times when buying online, yeah. On the top of my head; a Sonor Force 2001 in Wax Blue finish (very cheap, but not my type of kit at all, sold it after a month), 20" Paiste Signature Precision Ride (thought it was going to be more dry and pingy, but it was very washy in an un-pleasant way, to my ears), Tama SLP Vintage Steel (don't know what I thought it should be, but it just confirmed all my dislikes with steel snares), and a bunch of other stuff. Nothing really expensive though, luckily.

bearblastbeats

Not if I've tried it first, but some times when buying online, yeah. On the top of my head; a Sonor Force 2001 in Wax Blue finish (very cheap, but not my type of kit at all, sold it after a month), 20" Paiste Signature Precision Ride (thought it was going to be more dry and pingy, but it was very washy in an un-pleasant way, to my ears), Tama SLP Vintage Steel (don't know what I thought it should be, but it just confirmed all my dislikes with steel snares), and a bunch of other stuff. Nothing really expensive though, luckily.
Damn. Maybe it's my taste that changed. Wanted to get out of dark cymbals but not too bright, this thing seemed the good fit at the store, but sitting behind the kit just feels different.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Drum stuff, not really. Some sticks and heads and other small things, but that's it.

Guitars, all the damn time time. I dont like a Floyd Rose. Took a BC Rich Virgin and a Jackson Rhodes V to figure that out.

I like cool looking electric guitars. Almost every guitar I think looks cool is neck heavy. I dont buy a guitar based on anything other than looks and expense. So they dont get played or even put on until I get home. And almost every single time the neck falls down. So irritating.

bearblastbeats

Drum stuff, not really. Some sticks and heads and other small things, but that's it.

Guitars, all the damn time time. I dont like a Floyd Rose. Took a BC Rich Virgin and a Jackson Rhodes V to figure that out.

I like cool looking electric guitars. Almost every guitar I think looks cool is neck heavy. I dont buy a guitar based on anything other than looks and expense. So they dont get played or even put on until I get home. And almost every single time the neck falls down. So irritating.
Man, gotta stick to drums I guess man lol.

I would do the exact same thing though. I like the look of the esp viper and the fender jaguar. But ill save your ears but not playing for you.

bearblastbeats

could be the room as well thats altering its sound characteristics? have you tried it in a different room or at a venue?
Not yet. I just got it today. I think it's just me playing without anyone else. So when my guitar player comes over maybe it'll be different when its in the mix?

cbphoto

Gold Member
After dropping some major coin on a 30th Anniversary ride, setting it up next to my sig ride, I'm not really feeling it.

It feels to abrasive to my ears and sig is just smooth like buttah.
Been there, done that. It sucks.

I bought—and returned—five ride cymbals from my local drum shop. I'd play with one for hours, come back to check it out five or six times. Each time, the owner told me to "take it home and play it on your own kit". He never flinched when I returned them. Sabian, Meinl, Meinl, Zildjian, Sabian, Meinl, etc., etc., but I never felt "it".

I was trying to find a washier, less pingy ride than the Paiste Master's Ride I was using. It took years until I stumbled upon the Paiste Signature Traditional 20" medium-light ride.

Keep hunting!

C.M. Jones

My only run-in with get-it-home regret occurred many years ago. Antsy for a cymbal change, I traded in my Zildjian As for a set of Paiste 2002s. I was mildly disappointed hours later. There's nothing wrong with 2002s. They just didn't charm me as I thought they would. I never surrendered to moping, but I was slightly disenchanted.

A wild stroke of luck befell a few months later. I met a drummer who had recently bought a set of Zildjian As but wished he'd gotten Paiste 2002s instead. We made an even swap. I was Zildjian-happy again.

The universe always realigns itself if we grant it time to put things right.

Yamaha Rider

Knowing nothing about guitars myself - can't they be tweaked 'downstream' to fix the sound?
And what does a heavy neck do?

Somebody listed some Meinl Mb10 hats on craigslist for $50 a few years back. I couldn’t find any YouTube videos featuring them so I decided to take a flyer and bought them. I got them home, all excited to try them out, and within seconds I thought, oh my God, I hate these. Try to play them for a few more minutes, to make sure I wasn’t making a snap judgment, but I just could not stand the sound. Immediately went back to my Zildjians.
A few months later, I decide to give them another try, and the same thing – – I just hated hated hated the way they sounded.
About a year later, I decide to try to sell them on reverb, and someone bought them within a few days of me putting the listing up. Said he had been looking for a pair for a long time and was delighted after he got them.

Last edited:

bongoman

It’s happened to me a few times with cymbals even when I got to try them out in person at the store. I really do think the acoustics of the store (full of drums and cymbals, plus the shape of the room) can be very different from the acoustics at home. Plus at the shop there can be the excitement of something new, and the sense that you’ve picked the best cymbal they had—and maybe it doesn’t turn out to be all that when you have it in your kit.

drumnut87

Not yet. I just got it today. I think it's just me playing without anyone else. So when my guitar player comes over maybe it'll be different when its in the mix?
possibly. i know my cymbals sound different in every room i play in, from my home to venues to practice rooms, same with my drums. but if it doesnt sit right for you, may be worth returning it.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Knowing nothing about guitars myself - can't they be tweaked 'downstream' to fix the sound?
And what does a heavy neck do?
A heavy neck makes the guitar point at the floor when you put it on. So as well as playing it, you must also hold it up or modify the guitar somehow.

My problem with the Floyd Rose is that it "floats" on springs. Since the bridge floats, changing the tuning of 1 string upsets the other 5. They do have fine tuners on the bridge itself, as well as the regular tuners on the headstock. A fixed bridge doesnt do this.

Juniper

Gold Member
I'm really careful about buying gear. It takes me a while to pull the trigger on anything and normally wait to play something in person or do tons of research, I've been happy with pretty much all my purchases as a result.

However, the only thing I can recall was my LM400, it didn't initially sound how I imagined it to when I got it.

It's now my most recorded snare in the studio. I don't play it often outside of that environment due to the lesser depth as I'm a 6.5" guy, mostly, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

Mr Farkle

A new ride can sound brighter or harsher than you might expect, especially if you’re not a cymbal cleaner. I don’t clean my Istanbul cymbals so a new one might be hard on my ears.

If you’re buying hand made Turkish cymbals you probably hear cymbaly things that most people can not hear. What does it sound like to other people in the room? It might be a great cymbal, just not when you’re on top of it.

That said, cymbals are the one item that I frequently regret buying. I try to buy used for a price that I could turn around and sell them for if I don’t like them. Buying new doesn’t work for me. I might love it at first and hate it a couple of months down the road. In the case of one recent purchase I regretted it at first but now I really like it. 🤷‍♂️

bongoman

There’s how the cymbals fit or blend with the rest on your kit too—I took a gamble on a vintage A on Reverb that seemed like it “should” be good; received it, played it a while, was really disappointed in the tone, it seemed off somehow. Stashed it away. Recently I pulled it out again and tried it with a different set of cymbals, and this time it sounded great—with them.

s1212z

One and only time I bought a cymbal unseen was an 18” A Zildjian Med ride, my friend’s sounded awesome and this was the clunky-est hunk of metal ever. Cymbals are way too variable even with modern purchase methods, I need a connection before purchasing which can really limit selections. Drums are different I feel.