You can’t call yourself a drummer....

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
....until you tuck your own calfskin heads!

Here’s Stan at ProDrum showing the world how to tuck your own skins. So if you really want to be old skool, go tuck your own and really get that vintage sound. He even points out that before 1957, drum quality wasn’t that great and bearing edges may not have even existed, but tucking your own calf heads made that NOT an issue!

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
WELL, if you want to be a really authentic old school drummer, you need to kill and skin a wild animal. Tan the hide and THEN tuck your own drum heads.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

WELL, if you want to be a really authentic old school drummer, you need to kill and skin a wild animal. Tan the hide and THEN tuck your own drum heads.

and also cut down the tree, hollow out the log, and tie the skins on

we learned ho to make calf skin tympani heads in college, and actually used them on this old, AWESOME set of Hinger tympani that lived in the band room. Our prof actually drove to the Chicago stockyards to get the skin and flesh hoops

Bo Eder

Platinum Member

we learned ho to make calf skin tympani heads in college, and actually used them on this old, AWESOME set of Hinger tympani that lived in the band room. Our prof actually drove to the Chicago stockyards to get the skin and flesh hoops
I was told that’s why Ludwig and Slingerland we’re located in Chicago - because they were close to the stockyards and actually had a guy to run out and get skins when they were available. And I recall a short trip to Chicago a few years ago and I was amazed at how many steakhouse restaurants they had.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I was told that’s why Ludwig and Slingerland we’re located in Chicago - because they were close to the stockyards and actually had a guy to run out and get skins when they were available. And I recall a short trip to Chicago a few years ago and I was amazed at how many steakhouse restaurants they had.

yep...our professor told us the same thing...

SharkSandwich

I want to visit that drum shop!

Ransan

Regarding drum skins, my Uncle once said in long winded quote something to the effect of “female calf skin tucking was udder-ly ridiculous, no bull.”

I believe him as I understand their lives are at steak.

Apologies to my Uncle and PETA...

CS dots forefront or the Ebony 2 ply in the background?
966F80D5-E0A1-4FFE-AE7E-93702CBE0851.jpeg

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member

My teacher in the Dallas Symphony had a set of Hingers, but he switched to plastic heads in 1975, so I never got to hear them with calf heads. They are already pretty dark-sounding drums anyway, I bet the low notes on the 31” just absolutely rumble the room when played with the aluminum Hinger mallets.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

My teacher in the Dallas Symphony had a set of Hingers, but he switched to plastic heads in 1975, so I never got to hear them with calf heads. They are already pretty dark-sounding drums anyway, I bet the low notes on the 31” just absolutely rumble the room when played with the aluminum Hinger mallets.

they have been using Remo Ren's since the mid 2000's when the band director there got tired of the tymps being "finicky"...they did sound awesome though....sustain for ever...and the attack with any mallet was awesome...they felt like butter...

I think the "discussion" to not use them anymore was one of the final pushes for my prof to retire....that, and the whole switch to technology in all the classrooms...he did not like change...

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
they have been using Remo Ren's since the mid 2000's when the band director there got tired of the tymps being "finicky"...they did sound awesome though....sustain for ever...and the attack with any mallet was awesome...they felt like butter...

I think the "discussion" to not use them anymore was one of the final pushes for my prof to retire....that, and the whole switch to technology in all the classrooms...he did not like change...

Great. Something ELSE to be depressed about...I can’t imagine what it would be like to hit those babies with an aluminum Hinger mallet on the 31” tuned to about a low G, maybe in the 2nd movement of Beethoven’s 3rd. I doubt there’s a timpanist anywhere in the world with calf heads on Hingers these days.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Nice.
I reheaded a few djembe's in my time & working with the twin hoops and flat, water soaked skin was a great experience.