You can’t call yourself a drummer....

I guess I'll never be able to call myself a drummer ?.
No 'beef' here, but I think OP and most of us have yet to become a drummer, due to this qualifier.

Once again, advice from my Uncle (who my dad and I had to help relocate overnight) said to us late while space trucking from the treacherous pass between Trinidad, CO and Raton, NM.

"Steer’ clear of skin tucking... essentially it takes bollocks, and I just don't feel 'behooved' to do so.”

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn’t say I haven’t “become” a drummer. I hold my own and smartly know when to turn down a gig ?

I didn't learn that until in my 40's...but in a way, I am glad that I have played all the situations I did...I have a TON of wisdom about the world, and playing now...

WELL, if you want to be a really authentic old school drummer, you need to kill and skin a wild animal. Tan the hide and THEN tuck your own drum heads.

Not before you plant the trees, wait for them to be big enough to cut then make the drums from them, forge whatever hardware you are going to have also..

I was just wondering.... it takes 3 days for the head to dry out, and you let the head dry on the drum. So for three days you’ve got a damp drum head sitting against wooden bearing edges. I wonder if it has any impact? Silver sealer as a humidity barrier?

This is just like saying "You can call yourself a rider if you never ridden a Harley" (or a Ducati Panigale) both very popular brands, but which I consider trash..(very unreliable).

....until you tuck your own calfskin heads!

Here’s Stan at ProDrum showing the world how to tuck your own skins. So if you really want to be old skool, go tuck your own and really get that vintage sound. He even points out that before 1957, drum quality wasn’t that great and bearing edges may not have even existed, but tucking your own calf heads made that NOT an issue!

Wow great information, the drummer had the most work to do as usual , now i know why everyone were horn players back in the day ! . But the drummers become better Mechanics !!! thanks Bo , a great one !

WELL, if you want to be a really authentic old school drummer, you need to kill and skin a wild animal. Tan the hide and THEN tuck your own drum heads.

AND tune the drum using rope!

This is just like saying "You can call yourself a rider if you never ridden a Harley" (or a Ducati Panigale) both very popular brands, but which I consider trash..(very unreliable).

"Ducati: Making mechanics out of riders since 1947". :LOL:

Back