You 4 piece guys..mount tom placement perfect?

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
OK..im listening to Stephen Clark on YouTube go over this. Long story short he actually suggests sitting higher to avoid your mount being to high causing reach. Man..i don't like sitting higher..id rather reach a bit causing a stick drum crash now and then (which he suggests avoiding) but I'm stubborn. I'm wanting to listen to the voice of reason in my old age. What are your feelings on sitting higher..or looking cool and reaching...sitting where your comfortable. I'm a young Vinnie guy nearly on the floor!.

Last edited:
What are your feelings on perfection sitting higher?
Sure, Because gravity (from your higher position...is your friend it's pulling your hands and forearms- from a height- down into the drums- where they- want to be...
It's a gravity thing

Pulling up to reach you have to overcome gravity first- before you even- reach the target- drum cymbal

I know when I sit at my 60s kit it's like a dream come true- I'm touching down- only lifting to move to another low height spot.
The Old Rail on a 8x12 on a 20 is Eden

You can relax when you're above playing down
Don't get into a confrontation with Gravity you'll lose every time 😉
don't get into a major confrontation..

Last edited:
sitting high works for some, others not :)

i sit high because going low hurts my back, thighs and knees

Sure, Because gravity (from your higher position...is your friend it's pulling your hands and forearms- from a height- into the drums- where they- want to be...
It's a gravity thing

Pulling up to reach you have to overcome gravity first- before you even- reach the target- drum cymbal

I know when I sit at my 60s kit it's like a drum come true- I'm touching down- only lifting to move to another low spot.

The Old Rail on a 20 is Eden
No foot pedal problems sitting higher? Or do you learn to adapt?

I actually *had* to start sitting higher because of back pain. Prior, I was a pretty low rider.

It took a period of adjustment, but now I find I have as much or more power than I had sitting low. Less strain on my hip flexors to get there, too.

If you want to give it a try, I'd suggest you commit to it. Personally, I think it takes a couple of months before it feels right. Set a timeline and stick with it to give yourself time to adapt.

Interestingly, I recently tried lowering the throne again to see if it still hurt my back. It didn't, but my goodness did my playing suffer. This is just on a practice kit with mesh heads, but still, I felt sluggish and like I was having to work waaaaay too hard. Raised the throne again and all is well. ☺️

Same thing there too.. you're both light agile or wicked strong because you're coming down in to the kick
it's amazing what a 70s throne and 60s drum set reminds/ re-teaches us (me)

I went thru that "playing up" and since rediscovering my 60s gear - and acquiring more 60s gear.. I have to Mod my 2000's set... I mean I've taken measurements this past year why is the 60s height set (and throne) effortless and comfortable and why my 2000's set isn't...

Because I'm playing down to almost all of the parts of the 60s set .
Bass drum is about same; it's the arms and shoulders; that are downward "pro-gravity" on the 60s height set.
Where I "lift" only to move right or left, slightly forward for the small tom not to "reach up...

It's been a project; it has me stumped at times- and I now about have it solved

61024 008.JPGoutsideGretsch 008.JPG

Last edited:
I've always sat in such a way that I if I tried to put a book on my lap, it would slip off with any slight movement. It's really comfortable, and I can reach everything with ease. I don't like to fight anything when I play, be it with gear or with distance.

Do what works for you but it's how I set up. With a 22 bass I can't get my rack low enough so I had to compromise a little and sit up.

Yes pedal issues. That's why general practice is just a slight angle down.

Behind a kit height is generally associated with the angle of top of your leg. Some exceptions I've seen some weird tallish heights where drummer looks like on their tippy toes. But that's the exception. But, as PP Guy said, don't fight it. Whatever is most comfy for you.

Also - if you measure - a lower height of rack tom actually makes center of the head farther away and you have to reach/stretch more than if rack a little higher. You've got to reach up then hit down. It's a longer reach. If you sit taller then you actually increase the distance.

I think it's bad advice. Messes up your kick leg and increases distance from stick tip to center of head.

I base my seat height on the angle of my foot on the kick pedal. Then no BD drum bigger than 20" so I can keep tom heights low and close so no stretching.... same with cymbals, no ape hanger boom arms!

I agree with jda. In my younger days, I was always fighting the large leaps.
After I picked it up again, I quickly found that I'd rather play down and into the drums.
Not a 4 pc. guy (5 for me), but my drums are all at the same height - if I'd push them together, all the rims would touch.
It works for me. ;)

1719967226078.jpeg

OK..im listening to Stephen Clark on YouTube go over this. Long story short he actually suggests sitting higher to avoid your mount being to high causing reach. Man..i don't like sitting higher..id rather reach a bit causing a stick drum crash now and then (which he suggests avoiding) but I'm stubborn. I'm wanting to listen to the voice of reason in my old age. What are your feelings on sitting higher..or looking cool and reaching...sitting where your comfortable. I'm a young Vinnie guy nearly on the floor!.
I have no feelings one way or the other regarding looking cool or not.... but on throne height... my personal journey/thoughts go like this...

As I've moved from young guy to old guy, I've become more aware that - at least for me - there's no question that sitting low takes more strength and uses more energy. Lifting the leg... bringing the arms up more... Yet for years and years I sat low - like 80's Vinnie - can only use a Tama Mercury throne low.... Why? Well, the strength/energy things was the cost, what was the advantage?

Sitting low made me feel more centered, more grounded, more stable.... sitting higher gave more ease of mobility around the kit - but at the cost of feeling I needed to work to keep my balance. During this period I pretty exclusively played heels up - which definitely played into the :keeping my balance thing. So sitting low - I felt like I was able to plant all of my weight right in my butt. Planting me firmly on the throne - able to use all four limbs, when needed - off the ground. This is where lot of the energy is expended - keeping the trunk tight and planted right over the thrown, balanced, regardless of what the limbs were doing.

Harder work when playing jazz and fusion and stuff needing a lot of getting around the kit - but wonderful when needing to play lots slow tempo music... It made feel real solid - even at extremely slow tempos - or playing very sparse but exacting parts.

I once got to see real sumo wrestling in Japan and after, when thinking about sitting low, sump is what always comes to mind. Sitting low, I felt like a sumo wrestle - crouched down, hunkered into a solid mass - it made me feel very steady.

Alas - these days I'm simply not playing enough, coupled with age, to have the strength to do it. So I am sitting a bit higher these days... with my thighs at a small angle downwards.

Everyone is going to be a little different in what the find comfortable. But I will tell you, from an ergonomics point of view, you want to focus on a neutral body position. The more you have to reach way out or lean, you will be over stressing your body. And if you enjoy drumming, and want to do it for the long-haul. I would suggest not really focusing on what might look cool. (we aren't low-strappin' here, lol) I have been working on adjusting my playing after decades of heel-down or mix, to trying to play more heels up. Your body position and balance tend to matter more when you are playing heels up as there's less of an artificial anchor once you move a heel out of the equation.

I grew up playing with power toms. Tom height doesn't bother me too much. I have a 14"x13 as my rack and it is pretty high, not buried flat, off the side of the bass drum. Although I have a tom mount, I have been using a snare stand to bring it in as close as possible, above the bass drum.

But I would focus on three things first that will guide your adjustments.
  • Seat height in relation to pedals (neutral position) with thighs descending (not flat or parallel) to the floor.
  • Seat distance from pedals: Something neutral, but comfortable that works for you. I play away from the snare so that it's not in my crotch.
  • Snare height should be high enough to get good rimshots without hitting your legs.
Everything else should be set up comfortably within reach. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm 6' 1" tall and sit kinda high on my kit. I also like the snare really high; almost to my belly button. Yeah... It looks weird. But it works for me.

I'd say in this case, he did ask for input. That's why we're here. Ultimately, you can play drums however you want. All I can say is that as an older version of myself, it all adds up. My wrists, hands, back, and and arms feel my age. You probably could not have made much of an impact telling the younger version of me that, but, hey... LOL. I do notice crazy setups sometimes and think to myself... "Man!! I couldn't play that kit.." hahaha... But THEY do. Hahahaha...

As for subjective stuff, best this or that, taste, yeah, you do you for sure. It's all good.

Whatever happened to the “you do you” rule? Everybody’s different and there’s no rules. It’s whatever you’re comfortable with. Or am I wrong?
Depends on if it hurts or not for me. Like people tell me wearing my bass a little low slung is bad technique, but I get really uncomfortable holding my arms up high.

Whatever happened to the “you do you” rule? Everybody’s different and there’s no rules. It’s whatever you’re comfortable with. Or am I wrong?
You want to freak freely? You do you.
You want more power and less pain? Probably best to follow some advice.

Back