Yoga and tendonitis

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
I remember seeing Phil Maturano talking about how yoga can improve tendonitis. I am wondering if anyone has tried this. Now what I'm on about is tendonitis in the wrist. I have had it for 2 years, but finally all pain and any bad feelings have gone. But I had it for a long time, it obviously did a number on my wrist. Which is cool, just that I'l have to take care of it so that it doesn't come back again and again, or else I can say goodbye to a career in music.

Wait, can you actually even cure tendonitis? I've had it for so long, it may kep coming back again and again. But I hope that massaging my forearm everyday, and warming up and down properly will keep it at bay. But WOULD yoga help? I can't see any exercises that would help. I know that you need to have a healthy body to help things heal, and that treating a wrist ailment wouldn't exactly require any manipulation or the wrist! ( My brother is a fantastic accupuncturist, he won he over with all this hocus pocus!)

I remember seeing Phil Maturano talking about how yoga can improve tendonitis. I am wondering if anyone has tried this. Now what I'm on about is tendonitis in the wrist. I have had it for 2 years, but finally all pain and any bad feelings have gone. But I had it for a long time, it obviously did a number on my wrist. Which is cool, just that I'l have to take care of it so that it doesn't come back again and again, or else I can say goodbye to a career in music.

Wait, can you actually even cure tendonitis? I've had it for so long, it may kep coming back again and again. But I hope that massaging my forearm everyday, and warming up and down properly will keep it at bay. But WOULD yoga help? I can't see any exercises that would help. I know that you need to have a healthy body to help things heal, and that treating a wrist ailment wouldn't exactly require any manipulation or the wrist! ( My brother is a fantastic accupuncturist, he won he over with all this hocus pocus!)

Yoga does give a general relaxation of muscles as well as flexibility, I think it will certainly help. As for cure it's not exactly the FDAs definition, that would be surgery. But for my terms it's possible to never experience a problem through eastern (acupuncture/nutrition) medicine or something like yoga & proper drumming technique.

If you haven't been looking into a diet/vitamin supplement program I would spend some time on that, I get pretty sore with a potassium/salt imbalance, though not tendinitis.

Yoga does give a general relaxation of muscles as well as flexibility, I think it will certainly help. As for cure it's not exactly the FDAs definition, that would be surgery. But for my terms it's possible to never experience a problem through eastern (acupuncture/nutrition) medicine or something like yoga & proper drumming technique.

If you haven't been looking into a diet/vitamin supplement program I would spend some time on that, I get pretty sore with a potassium/salt imbalance, though not tendinitis.

Ah sure, surgeries for these things are almost always too invasive, there are eastern methods (as you said) that can help these things. And I don't have the greatest diet to be honest, a WHOLE lotta fruit and bread, little protein! Will need to change that regardless! Cheers Chaymus

You might also try Pilates- it's not unlike yoga, but more mentally engaging (so my girlfriend tells me- I haven't done yoga myself). The system was devised as therapy for WWI combat-injured German veterans, so I'm sure a knowledgeable instructor would be able to help you. I highly recommend it for all musicians, and need to get back to it myself.

You might also try Pilates- it's not unlike yoga, but more mentally engaging (so my girlfriend tells me- I haven't done yoga myself). The system was devised as therapy for WWI combat-injured German veterans, so I'm sure a knowledgeable instructor would be able to help you. I highly recommend it for all musicians, and need to get back to it myself.

Yeah, I think people in my family have done it, heard great things about it. But I think thats more of a physical thing, yoga is much more about grounding energy and such, which is what I need more of. But it wouldn't hurt to do both! And the yoga i was on about is VINYASA yoga

Definitely try the yoga. Some extra flexibility might help.
I've had wrist problems for a long time due to pushing a mouse all day in front of my computer. The doctors couldn't figure out what was causing the painful stiff feelings in my right wrist so they "assumed" it was my drumming. My Physio guy figured it out. It was tension starting at my neck and shoulder as I was drawing at the computer. It was causing a reduced blood flow. As soon as I started stretching and paying attention as I worked the pain started to lessen. BTW, my wrist always felt good after playing because I've always played relaxed.

Definitely try the yoga. Some extra flexibility might help.
I've had wrist problems for a long time due to pushing a mouse all day in front of my computer. The doctors couldn't figure out what was causing the painful stiff feelings in my right wrist so they "assumed" it was my drumming. My Physio guy figured it out. It was tension starting at my neck and shoulder as I was drawing at the computer. It was causing a reduced blood flow. As soon as I started stretching and paying attention as I worked the pain started to lessen. BTW, my wrist always felt good after playing because I've always played relaxed.

Good to hear its better. But my problem was definately because of bad technique! I've fixed that, and hopefully when the condition goes away completely...it won't come back!

Hopefully yoga will help, I'll look into it anyway

I was told by my cousin, who s a pretty awesome eastern healer ( yeah, my family is weird) that yoga is all on your hands. So doing it may do the opposite for my wrists. She reccomended qui gong, to ground me and get me out of my head, thats stopping energy from getting to my limbs. She did an amazing thing to prove things to me. My right hand was freezing, but the rest of me was roasting, and it was like that for the whole day ( My hands and feet are always cold, hense the need to be more grounded). She put one needle by my neck, 5mins later my hand was roasting. And she did a few other things. I left and straight away my wrist got 90% better, it was amazing. During it she was asking me all these personal questions trying to release feelings. When she got my pulse she straight away said I;m VERY frustrated, which was bang on. She also said I had a little grief, which was also amazing, because I only realised I did AFTER she said it to me. Real amazing stuff.

I did before, but now I really understand how feelings can trap energy in the body and prevent things from healing, or even damage them in the first place. Also a lot of it is coming from my neck and shoulders.

Back