Yet Again- Please help ID Ludwig snare

Update: Yet Again- Please help ID Ludwig snare- Photos added

Please see my newer post where I've added photos.

I just bought a four piece 70's Japanese kit for $75 that includes a 6.5"x14" Ludwig snare. It looks like it's chrome over steel, with a keystone badge that says Monroe NC USA with serial #3206865 on it. It has 10 lugs and a round knob damper. It weighs 7.6lbs. I put an ambassador head on it and it sounds pretty good, but not as good as my Black Beauty. I suspect it's a Rocker model, but despite lots of searching, haven't been able to confirm or deny. Could it be a Supraphonic?

I know these questions come up regularly, but I'd sure appreciate any help you'd be willing to offer.
Thanks!

Last edited:

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
A pic would help us quickly identify it. I don't think there were Rockers with Keystone badges, so I'm betting Supra.

opentune

Platinum Member
put a magnet to the shell - if its sticks, its steel, ......if not, likely a Supra.
Imperial lugs?

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
There are no USA-made Ludwig snares that have a steel shell. There are no Rocker drums with a Monroe keystone badge.

As already mentioned, this question is almost impossible to answer without pictures.

D

drumming sort of person

Chew a small wad of gum, and then press it to the shell. Then get some Silly Putty, stretch it a bit, and stick it to the strainer. Then cook some spaghetti in boiling water for eleven minutes, remove a couple pieces/strands, and throw it onto the side of the drum such that it sticks. Lastly, take a photo of the drum and post it here for us to examine.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Chew a small wad of gum, and then press it to the shell. Then get some Silly Putty, stretch it a bit, and stick it to the strainer. Then cook some spaghetti in boiling water for eleven minutes, remove a couple pieces/strands, and throw it onto the side of the drum such that it sticks. Lastly, take a photo of the drum and post it here for us to examine.

100°C, 212°F, or 373.15°K for the water? Do we need to account for salinity of the water? Also, what flavour of gum.

D

drumming sort of person

100°C, 212°F, or 373.15°K for the water? Do we need to account for salinity of the water? Also, what flavour of gum.

The water just needs to boil. The temperature will fluctuate depending on level above sea, or which planet you happen to be on. Feel free to add salt to taste. Gum should be bubble gum flavor, ideally Dubble Bubble.
db-twist.jpg

snare1.jpg

Thanks for the input so far. Here are some photos. As you can see, it's got a bit of corrosion. I'll be cleaning it up and installing new hoops this weekend.

Attachments

• snare2.jpg
    snare2.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 94
  • snare3.jpg
    snare3.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 93
  • snare4.jpg
    snare4.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 94

johnwesley

Silver Member

Person after my own heart. Humor IS still alive. JW

Thanks for the info gents! From what I’ve seen online, the serial isn’t any help in estimating the date it was made. Anyone have any clue?