Yes, professional grade drum kits are pushed!

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
Sorry guys, but I'm not buying a drum based on whether or not it can survive a flood. If I wanted an absolutely waterproof set of drums I'd buy acrylic or fiberglass.

Is it now not cool to put your drums in cases and care for them?

Build me a set of drums that I can just drag behind my car with a bungee cord and we'll talk.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry guys, but I'm not buying a drum based on whether or not it can survive a flood.
& my contention too Jeff. I think that some drummer's behaviour contributes to the notion held by some musicians, that drums are somehow a lesser musical instrument. Why some drummers treat their instrument with less care than would be afforded to other instruments, is beyond me. That lack of perceived value leaches into many areas of the business, such as perceived acceptable condition of back line drums, & propensity to default kit share on multi band stages. You reap what you sow sometimes!

whiteknightx

Silver Member
When I used to gig all the time, my Pearl exports went from the back of the pickup truck, into the garage, until the next weekend, all winter. -30C to a +21C warm bar, and back. I'd just go to the gig an hour early and leave them in the cases for an hour to slowly warm up. Quick tune and they were good to go. Did that for 20 years, and they held up perfectly.

Life in Canada.

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
& my contention too Jeff. I think that some drummer's behaviour contributes to the notion held by some musicians, that drums are somehow a lesser musical instrument. Why some drummers treat their instrument with less care than would be afforded to other instruments, is beyond me. That lack of perceived value leaches into many areas of the business, such as perceived acceptable condition of back line drums, & propensity to default kit share on multi band stages. You reap what you sow sometimes!
Interesting Andy. I've never made that connection before but it makes sense to me. Our actions don't take place in isolation but are part of a larger social context where the resulting ripples will have real effects in shaping attitudes and behaviors, for better or for worse.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Our actions don't take place in isolation but are part of a larger social context where the resulting ripples will have real effects in shaping attitudes and behaviors, for better or for worse.
This is completely how I see it, in fact, I've had numerous experiences that back up this connection. I'm not saying it's a significant thing, but it's definitely an element in some industry participant's thinking.