yamaha stage or tour?

billystein

hi all,i
the time has come to get my first new drum set. i have a mixed batch now. i am considering yamaha. i am hoping for some input for stage custom or tour custom. i read good things about the stage custom but would like opinion for both. is there enough difference to buy the tours? i will get the 800 series harware pack and have recently purchased the smyrna raven cymbal kit.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
Maple vs Birch. If you can hear the difference and appreciate the sound of maple more, then go Tour. If you can't hear the difference, then go Stage and save the money. Build quality is good on both.

Ronzo

I was in the same situation recently and decided on the TC. Really a maple vs birch debate. I find the maple had a nicer sound to my ears. Nice thing about the SC is they are cheaper even for a 7pc SC vs 5pc TC and there are more options if you decide to expand the kit down the road (8” tom)

harryconway

Platinum Member
I'd go Tour Custom Maple. They've only been out a few years, and before them, you really had to throw down some cash if you wanted maple shells from Yamaha.

They're pretty much in the same price range as the Gretsch Renown and Mapex Saturn.

Dutch

hi all,i
the time has come to get my first new drum set. i have a mixed batch now. i am considering yamaha. i am hoping for some input for stage custom or tour custom. i read good things about the stage custom but would like opinion for both. is there enough difference to buy the tours? i will get the 800 series harware pack and have recently purchased the smyrna raven cymbal kit.
Think twice before getting the 800-series hardware: it’ll be heavy. I’ve just changed over to the Yamaha crosstown lightweight hardware and, as a sometimes gigging drummer, couldn’t be happier. Weight is overrated.
dutch

billystein

is that the only difference? i dont have access to a tour set so i can only listen on you tube. i saw some 4 pc. TC kits "open box" for a good discount but still more than SC kit.

harryconway

Platinum Member
is that the only difference?
A few little things. For starts, you get 10 lugs on the bass drum, instead of 8 (22"). Yamaha uses the Absolute single post lug on the new TC. And you get different hoops (stick saver design).

But the big price difference is the maple shell. When all the Japanese companies hit the scene in the late 70's .... they all served up birch shells. 'Round the mid 80's, they all introduced maple shells (which became their flagship models), and maple costs more.

This is by far, the most affordable all maple drum set from Yamaha.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I've owned Yamaha birch drums (Recording Customs) and maple drums (Maple Customs). The RCs had the best tom sound, but the MCs had the best bass drum sound - by a long shot. With that experience behind me, I'd go with the Tour Custom Maples. They cost a bit more, but they are worth it - in my opinion.

GeeDeeEmm

wildbill

Platinum Member
They're both really good drums for the money. Just depends on your preference and budget.

I've had a lot of Stage Custom sets in the past, but currently have a set of the Tours:

billystein

well! i am grateful for the response. i think i will opt for the tour. and definitely the crosstown hardware. now, what size kick drum? i have a 22" kick now. 20" should be a little less clumsy to haul around but i will research the difference. this forum has proven to be a gold mine of info. thank you all for your help.

Reactions: Row

Brandtwi

If I could only have one I would get the tour because I like the sound of maple much better than birch. Having said that, I recently bought the birch Stage Custom as an inexpensive kit to play bar room gigs with so I wouldn't beat up my expensive kits on gigs that don't matter much. One really great thing about the Stage Custom is Yamaha has every size add on drum you could possible desire & they are cheap to buy & very available. There are very few add on sizes for the Tour Custom & they are double the cost. So what I am saying is it depends on what is important to you.

notvinnie

I've owned Yamaha birch drums (Recording Customs) and maple drums (Maple Customs). The RCs had the best tom sound, but the MCs had the best bass drum sound - by a long shot.
The new Recording Customs have improved upon any and all shortcomings they used to have.