Yamaha Stage Custom v.s. Gretsch Catalina Maple

yeah but it's not the famous silver. It's like having mini lugs on a Ludwig CM
You remind me:

Worth a mention is that the Catalina has Gibraltar's mini version of the Gretsch lug. The durability of this mini-lug has come up a few times in these forums where the castings around the shell-mounting threaded portion has failed. Also worth a mention is that the plastic risers under the mini-BD lugs are huge when compared to the full sized lugs offered on the Renown and USA.

In the broadest of generalizations, birch is brighter and sharper, and maple is warmer.
The stage customs have 45 degree edges and the catalinas have 30.
The edges contribute a lot to the difference. 45's are quick responding with a lot of attack.

I had a hard time adjusting to the brightness of the stage customs, but I did get used to it after a while.
Overall I prefer maple though.
My reflex, in working with other instruments, is the opposite. Harder woods typically produce brighter, focused tone, and maple is harder than birch. Unscientifically speaking, I've come to the belief that bearing edges, head selection, and shell thickness matters a great deal more than the wood selection. It's in most cases a cylinder of plywood. If I wanted to make a cylinder that resonated the least, I might choose plywood. Once you start making plys that overlap in different grain directions, you have a super-stable and non-resonant piece. It's like stacking a cymbal on an identical cymbal, and then on another identical cymbal. No resonance there! Maple vs birch vs mahogany vs bubinga, I don't think it holds a candle to thickness, bearing edge and head selection. And stick selection too, major variable there. For instance I sell upright basses, from fully ply to fully carved (meaning solid wood), and the difference between plywood and carved instruments is positively massive.

They're both vaguely ok kits, but at that price range Yamaha have better design and build quality (in my experience). If your budget is for a new kit, don't do it. Get a used one that 10 times better for the same price or less. It's a buyer's market.

I wouldn't call the Stage Customs vaguely OK - they're pretty good drums, period. Slap new heads on them and they sound terrific.

I replaced the hoops on a Stage Custom snare with S-Hoops and that elevated it like you wouldn't believe. My hunch is that doing the same for the toms would transform the kit in the same way. Kind of a budget Recording Custom...

Last edited:
lol... I just ordered new heads for my Stage Customs. ? Look forward to new pics and "first impressions" thread to come!

In the whimsical world of marketing, all attention is ultimately good attention. In that regard, @Darth Vater has probably done just as much, if not more, to endorse Yamaha as I have to promote Pearl. I suggest you dedicate your upcoming thread to Darth's persistent campaign against the Stage Custom. A Stage Custom badge that references his name would be a fitting accent. The Stage Custom Darth Vater Edition -- there's a gimmick destined to rake in some dough.

In the whimsical world of marketing, all attention is ultimately good attention. In that regard, @Darth Vater has probably done just as much, if not more, to endorse Yamaha as I have to promote Pearl. I suggest you dedicate your upcoming thread to Darth's persistent campaign against the Stage Custom. A Stage Custom badge that references his name would be a fitting accent. The Stage Custom Darth Vater Edition -- there's a gimmick destined to rake in some dough.
It would be the Stage Custom Disadvantage line. :ROFLMAO: Yammy fan got me with the "budget RC" hyperbole! More like a homeless persons RC. hehe. I'm just funnin' y'all.

hey everyone!
quick question, which drum set is better the yamaha stage custom or the gretsch catalina maple.
also, for anyone who has the catalina, does the bass drum have lots of punch?

Go try 'em out and see which you prefer. I tried a bunch of different kits both used and in stores (social distancing, masks etc) and decided that I liked the Renown. So if you can, get out an try different kits "hands on" to see what you like while you can before the covid numbers go up again.

Sound wise the 45 degree will sound more modern-more attack-more sustain, The Gretsch have that warm focused round sound (I call it woody which I guess with more head in contact with shell may activate the shell more?). The maple will sound warmer too. So Stages should be brighter, more attack, more sustain and the Gretsch a nice focused rounder warmer sound. I"ve never owned either but played quite a few Yammy's and all have been great.

I completely embrace redundant threads and threads that come back to life. No sarcasm - I believe they are the essential nature of forums and participate, re-state my original position, oppose my original position...

9mm v. .40 S&W - which is the better caliber???
What's more important ground clearance or skid plates???
4 degree or 6 degree spacing of wedges???

By the way, the correct answers are:
9mm
Ground clearance
6 degrees
Stage Custom

52, 58, and 64?
Negatory. 52, 56, 60.
Only Phil needs and can properly use a 64.
Working from a Titleist AP1 PW, so 48/54/60. NOT 48/52/56. I love my 60 and I don't want to carry four wedges.

Back