Yamaha Stage Custom v.s. Gretsch Catalina Maple

Kuromaku

I completely embrace redundant threads and threads that come back to life. No sarcasm - I believe they are the essential nature of forums and participate, re-state my original position, oppose my original position...

9mm v. .40 S&W - which is the better caliber???
What's more important ground clearance or skid plates???
4 degree or 6 degree spacing of wedges???

By the way, the correct answers are:
9mm
Ground clearance
6 degrees
Stage Custom

Kuromaku

52, 58, and 64?
Negatory. 52, 56, 60.
Only Phil needs and can properly use a 64.
Working from a Titleist AP1 PW, so 48/54/60. NOT 48/52/56. I love my 60 and I don't want to carry four wedges.

someguy01

Working from a Titleist AP1 PW, so 48/54/60. NOT 48/52/56. I love my 60 and I don't want to carry four wedges.
I don't carry a PW, I just hood the 52 when I need that lil extra. I carry a "custom" second 52 with all the bounce ground off for crappy bunkers that exist, well, everywhere that doesn't have a massive grounds budget.

EricT43

I'm with Darth on this one. SC's are probably the best of the budget-priced drums, but I think they are highly overrated by the drumming community. I have a set. They sounded pretty bad with the stock UT heads. I put Remo Emperors over Ambassadors on them, and they sound much better now, but still not great. Good enough for most bar gigs, I suppose, where you can't really hear the funky overtones and tonal differences from one drum to the next. And I think that's why they're popular - for non-professionals, they get the job done acceptably well for not much money. The hardware and finishes are nice, but the racks toms lose a lot of resonance when mounted, they don't stay in tune for very long and they feel cheap while playing. I have a couple high-end kits, and there is really no comparison. SC's are a great low-end kit, and might compare favorably even to some mid-range kits. I think that should be good enough, we don't need to compare them to Recording Customs, which by they way I also think are overrated ;)

Lennytoons

I bought a set of Stage Customs and sent them back. 1.6mm hoops and cheap heads, plus I didn't like the way they sounded. Don't get me wrong, for the money they are good drums but for an extra $250 or so you can get these:

or these

By the time you change the heads on the Yamahas you can almost buy either of the other two kits which are pro level- last a lifetime drums. Just my 2 cents worth.

yammyfan

I bought a set of Stage Customs and sent them back. 1.6mm hoops and cheap heads, plus I didn't like the way they sounded. Don't get me wrong, for the money they are good drums but for an extra $250 or so you can get these:

or these

By the time you change the heads on the Yamahas you can almost buy either of the other two kits which are pro level- last a lifetime drums. Just my 2 cents worth.

Ironic perhaps but my top three kits are a piano black DW Design, a Gretsch Renown RN2 and in third place, a 2nd generation Stage Custom. :giggle:

Lennytoons

If I didn't have too many kits already I'd buy those DW Design series drums. When Drum Center NH did their shootout comparison those were the best sounding of the three IMO.

Artstar

Platinum Member
Not quite but they are right up there with the Renowns. Considering the price difference, that's quite an accomplishment.

The Design's at your price are a great deal IMO... they don't cheap out on hardware.... full length suspension... no reducing number of lugs anywhere.. etc....

The Renown.. i know all about how great they sound just like you mention... .. they only thing with those is the newer cheapo suspension..... I know it get's the job done but it looks like something out of a cracker jack box imo..

yammyfan

The Design's at your price are a great deal IMO... they don't cheap out on hardware.... full length suspension... no reducing number of lugs anywhere.. etc....

The Renown.. i know all about how great they sound just like you mention... .. they only thing with those is the newer cheapo suspension..... I know it get's the job done but it looks like something out of a cracker jack box imo..

I think the fact that my Renowns are finished in Silver Oyster Pearl minimizes the look of the suspension mounts so I don't even notice them. I can see how they might not be everybody's cup of tea however. I don't mind them at all.

Something else I like about the DWs is the tom depths. They're a nice compromise between the ridiculous old power sizes and the super shallow depths of modern drums. Very full sounding but not so deep that they are hard to angle properly.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I've bought a lot of Stage Custom sets, mainly for the sizes, configuration, and availability.

I like a 5 pc. set.
I like a 20/10/12/14/14 configuration (13" snare actually - not 14), but I get those separately. :p
And I like to walk into a place, look the drums over, pay my money, load the drums up and bring them home,
rather than ordering a set unseen without a chance to check it for QC issues,
taking a chance on shipping damage, waiting for months for it,
and maybe additional time if extras need to be ordered.

I could go to my local GC right now, and be home in an hour or two with a set that fits all my requirements.
It may not be the holy grail kit of my dreams, but it would do the job with a minimum of fuss.

If I could get the same thing in a brand I prefer, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

pocket player

hey everyone!
quick question, which drum set is better the yamaha stage custom or the gretsch catalina maple.
also, for anyone who has the catalina, does the bass drum have lots of punch?
I Have a Yamaha SC birch and Gretsch catalina club maple /mahogany . i like them both, SC good rock gigging kit,good hardware ,nice rock sound. Gretsch CC kit nice for jazz and rock,small easy to lug around and fit in tight spots ,nice warm sound.