Yamaha Stage Custom Raven finish

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
If all else fails, just play with your eyes closed. ;-)

I know what you mean about the color. I love to just sit in front of my kit and look at it sometimes - I think it's beautiful.

Luckily for me, I saw the finish I liked in person and then bought my drums.

After I bought them I did some reverse searching on the kit (just for the heck of it) and saw lots of pictures online of the finish I chose and it damn near made me want to puke.

If I would have seen what they looked like in online photos first, I definitely would not have chosen that finish.

Good luck on fixing the problem I sure you never thought you'd have. Cheers!

Id be much happier with that purplish finish from the older Stage Customs. It just boggles my mind that they call the finish raven black, as well as the Yamaha photos looking nothing like what I spent my hard earned money on. I should just get over it already since there is nothing Yamaha, Zzounds, or myself can do. I dont have the money to have them replace them , have them wrapped, or have them refinished. And I cant run the risk of sanding and staining them myself and destroying a perfect finish.

ronyd

Silver Member
+1 on the Raven. I like the subtle color. the best of the colors they offer. I was going with the honey amber. but when I saw the kit at a local GC, looked nothing like the pics. Very bright, not subtle at all.

But I hear ya, if your trying to put a real black component with the kit, won't go. How bout getting a brass over chrome snare or something in that style. Now that would like sharp. My Phil Rudd sonor is going to like real nice with it. I had a Sonor Arena black translucent, showing the grain, with the Phil Rudd... really nice.

anyways, you still have a nice kit!!

wildbill

Platinum Member
I don't think the colored car wax idea is going to fly. It works good on cars/trucks, that have a matching color and some scratches.
But I tried it on a light colored drum (with no scratches) and it just looks like putting regular wax on it. If it darkened it, it's not enough for me to tell.
Might be different on a dark colored drum though - IDK.

jofizzm

Id be much happier with that purplish finish from the older Stage Customs. It just boggles my mind that they call the finish raven black, as well as the Yamaha photos looking nothing like what I spent my hard earned money on. I should just get over it already since there is nothing Yamaha, Zzounds, or myself can do. I dont have the money to have them replace them , have them wrapped, or have them refinished. And I cant run the risk of sanding and staining them myself and destroying a perfect finish.

That sucks man, I feel for you. Yamaha does have a straight trans black, their "Musashi Black" is probably more what you were looking for. Don't know why they didn't offer it on the stage customs...

they offer a flat black now which is perfect. But it was not available when i ordered my kit. I love my black pork pie. Its all maple, my favorite size and was an unbeatable price, Now it just looks silly. I actually dont like matching snares 90% of the time. But my snare just shows how not black the rest of the drum are.

SLAINTE

I really like that greenish hue to the finish but I can understand after playing a green kit for years you wanted something different. When I bought a new kit last year I wanted something different from the 70's black Pearls that I played. I had stopped playing the drums for about 20 years and had just got back into it about a year or so ago and decided that I wanted to get something different then what I had played for so many years. I too have a family and money can be tight so I really didn't have a lot to spend on new kit. So I did a lot of research and decided on the Stage Custom Birch set as well. I was actually wanting to go with the honey amber color until I saw one in person and it didn't look like the pictures I had seen, it had too much of an orange tint to it.I'm not sure if it was just that particular set or not because I have seen that color since on kits and it looked better then that on at the music store. Funny thing is I ended up getting the cranberry red color, which in the pictures I had seen it didn't do anything for me until I saw it in person and I absolutely loved it. So I can relate because if I had bought the other color and the set came in looking like what I was expecting it to look like then I would be upset as well. But coming from someone who played a black set for many a years that set that you have now is really a nice looking color.

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member

Attachments

• 8F282AE7-71A1-4EB0-8303-7318DBF759D6.jpeg
    8F282AE7-71A1-4EB0-8303-7318DBF759D6.jpeg
    431.5 KB · Views: 11

single-ply

Is it me or does the raven finish on the new Yamaha SCs look green. At first i let it go, but after adding a Black Pork Pie snare drum its obvious my Yamahas are not black. Am i the only one annoyed by this? Please excuse the cell phone pic.
My band has a set of those in our practice space. In light, they are a really, really dark green. The name is a misnomer in my mind. Ravens are not black but a very dark blue, much like the night sky. Of course, maybe there are ravens elsewhere in the world where they are dark green. Beats me.

A truly black drum will be noticeably different next to the others.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Looks a little green to me but I like it.

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
Is it me or does the raven finish on the new Yamaha SCs look green. At first i let it go, but after adding a Black Pork Pie snare drum its obvious my Yamahas are not black. Am i the only one annoyed by this? Please excuse the cell phone pic.
Pork Pie drum making other drums green with envy by comparison ? :) You didn't buy black Yamahas you bought Ravens which I suppose in this case is a misnomer instead of a description so Yamaha should consider changing the name and is annoying unless through the passage of time you have either let it go or the drums.

Is chocolate ice cream always brown? Is cotton always white? What color is milk?
The finish might have darkened a little in the nearly eight years since the OP was last seen here. Alas, we may never know.... ☹️
Time will tell lol..

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
Staff member
The close-ups on google images also reveal a slight greenish tint.

co0g2q3odf2jlhyvefoq.jpg
nrvn9q1abn4lpk5b8yey.jpg
cddj5sobxrvstm7j29sx.jpg
yam_scscb4f4rbl_91_1_93_.jpg
s640_47bb9ecb37a2424537eaea3806540.jpg

I love it!

harryconway

Platinum Member
The close-ups on google images also reveal a slight greenish tint.
I love it!

I do too. Depending on the light and the angle viewed ..... they look mostly black. Then you get this glimpse of a greenish hue. It's very subtle.

I do too. 1.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

A J

I have a Yamaha SC bass drum (16" x 20"). It's supposed to be raven black, but is more of a dark green. No problem. Looks fine to me and besides, I use it with a mismatched set.