Yamaha SD-016 snare drum

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Anybody familiar with this snare? My question is being able to get replacement snares for it. The drum is 40 years old and was wondering if Yamaha even supports it anymore. Anybody have any insights?

Is this the one that uses that parallel wire system?

Ugh!
I found a Pearl MLX 8x14 Dual Action that used a weird rod system underneath. At first I thought it was some orchestral snare that the guy was selling cheap.
I never could get that thing right. No wonder why he was chomping at the bit to unload it.

I'll keep up the research on the Yammy as I'm sure yours is WAY better & less stressful to get right.

looks like a marching snare throw.
I'd look in their marching percussion section
Wow - $189 for gut/wire snares? I may try to find a way to retrofit regular extended snares to it instead. Or make the drum a total keep and replace the strainer and butt plate altogether ?

Yamaha have been very helpful previously when I've been looking for unusual bits and pieces. I know you're in the US but may be worth contacting the UK Yamaha instruments contact page and asking them on there. They may be able to point you in the right direction. This is the link;

Another possibility if you have a worn-out set of wires and can't find a replacement: Get a larger regular set of wires like 16" and have someone who's good at it solder those new wires to the old end pieces.

Sure, drill away - I'm not familiar with that Yamaha snare but I've heard that the Dynasonic doesn't like such conversions (very shallow or no snare bed at all???).
It was just a general idea to solder new wires to the end pieces if you have a rare system. Might be an option for @CommanderRoss or whoever else reads this thread. :)

Back