Yamaha SC Advantage Kit

RayI

New Member here guys ,
The 12" tom buzz's way too much , seems like it reverbs off the snare. I'm using a Pearl 5.5 snare , all other drums sound fine , I've tried everything .
Need help
Thxs

You're probably referring to sympathetic snare buzz- striking the tom makes the snare wires buzz? We've been dealing with it for decades. I might be deaf to it these days, except in extenuating circumstances, 'cause I don't notice it much anymore. It does seem worse in some rooms than others. Try tuning the tom and/or snare heads higher/lower. Beyond that, I defer to others on here, YouTube, etc. for better advice.

Thank you Timmdrum
Yes that's what's happening , may have to put a blind ear to it. Lol
Unless I experiment with a 10 inch and play a 10 and 12 tom rather than my current set up of 12 , 14 , 16 floor
Thanks

Your snare and your 12" tom are probably fairly close in tuning. Maybe pitch the snare up a bit or drop the 12" a little. Good place to start.

I HIGHLY recommend buying a Tune-Bot and revamping your whole kit with it. It doesn't matter how long you've been tuning or how proficient you feel you may be, you'll get an even better result using the Tune-Bot. There's nothing like having a kit full of well tuned drums that sound good individually and collectively.

Thanks Yammy ,
I will look into tune bot , the heads are already marked from the guy that had them before me ?

Thanks Yammy ,
I will look into tune bot , the heads are already marked from the guy that had them before me ?

The Tune-Bot is probably the single best investment in equipment that I've ever made. Give me a $400 drum kit and a Tune-Bot or a $3000 kit and my ears alone and I'll probably get that $400 kit to sound as good as if not better than the $3000 kit. It's that good.

Might want to also make sure your snare wires are adjusted to lay flat on the bottom head and not twisted a little cattywompus- make sure the plates on the end are being pulled straight out, so that they are perpendicular to the wires themselves. Think rectangle vs. parallelogram.

Update ;
Changed the heads on the 12 and 14 " Tom's from Evan's G1 coated to Remo's Emperor coated heads , turned down the resonant head on 12 " and all is good in the world again , no more sympathetic buzz. ?
P.S Also used an Evan's ratchet key for tuning works great

Update ;
Changed the heads on the 12 and 14 " Tom's from Evan's G1 coated to Remo's Emperor coated heads , turned down the resonant head on 12 " and all is good in the world again , no more sympathetic buzz. ?
P.S Also used an Evan's ratchet key for tuning works great
I'm betting the tuning change is what solved it, but if you needed new heads anyway, then all the better. (y)

Yep it's tuning. The analogy is a tuning fork so you get snare buzz cause the toms are at same frequency-so resonate with toms. It's all tuning but make sure wires centered too. You can put your finger on batter, then tap ,then reso head , then tap to find which head is closest to snare to change it. If you really like your tom sound and don't want to change it, then I'd play with snare-first reso head and then batter to try and eliminate buzz. Really a tiny amount of buzz and ring keeps it real in my mind-you eliminate it all it sounds sterile to me. I went round and round with the orchestra conductor with the sound of my snare-to his taste it sounded choked and sterile to me.

Back