Yamaha Rock Tour series discontinued... ):

AJ3000

Silver Member
So I'd been wondering why the price of the rock tour had been falling.... Perhaps even vaguely optimistic that the add on drums were coming down too and I could finally justify buying that second kick drum.... But alas, after going on Yamaha's website, I see it has been discontinued. :(

I know a few people have asked me (and I'm sure other RT players here) about the kit, and on the whole, I think they're great. So if you want one, get in now. They seem to be going pretty quick now you can grab them under £600.

Still, it's a shame that one of the very few kits available in mahogany has now ceased to be. Looks like my options for the double bass monster are even more limited!!!

AJ3000

Silver Member
Yeah. The sound totally exceeds the price tag (which doesn't happen with Yamaha too often - they can be quite pricey!) which is why I went for them over the DW I went out to buy. It's an insane sounding kit. I wonder if people didn't trust a kit that sounds like that for the money?

slowrocker

Silver Member
I love the look of the rock tours, I never have played them but I was looking at those or the tour customs for my next set.

<(' . '<)

That's a shame. I love these things. Pro all the way. At least it'll be cheap to snag a used kit in a few months. I wonder what they will produce in it's place.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
It's a shame they are not going to be around anymore.
I got mine last year, when I found out they were going away, I immediately picked up all the add-on toms.

I have been using my kit live and on a few session and they perform remarkably.
It's honestly one of the best live kits I have ever owned.

My kit specs are:

22" Kick
10", 12", 13", 14", 16" Toms
14" Snare

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
What a shame because this kit had so man pro level features. I really liked the finish options and the virgin kick drums.

charliedrummer

Wow, both the Tour Custom and Rock Tour Custom series didn't last long. I bet Yamaha will launch a replacement at Winter NAMM now that there's a void between the Stage Custom and Oak Custom (and higher) lines. That $499 price for a 3-piece Rock Tour Custom is a steal for someone looking for a nice gigging kit.

Yamaha41

Last Chance for Rock Tours?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-Rock-Tour-3-piece-Shell-Pack-713091-i3487080.gc

$399 for a 3 piece kit.

(1/15/2014)
Got a set from Musicians Friend can't find the Diagonal seem on the inside ply not sure why but they look like there more then one vertical seem NOT WHAT YAMAHAS KNOW FOR as a Yamaha fan I'm kind of pissed.. Thankfully I plan to convert them to a hybrid setup with mesh heads and triggers. I have the older Rock Tour Customs setup like that and feel there to nice of a drum not to play with live heads.

Yamaha41

Could not resist. Bought a set from GC. I'll report when they arrive.
Nice Have to admit whatever the deal is with the seam on ones I got there very nice for $399. Shells are very thin but not a bad sound at all bass drum needs a towel inside but I can get over that. Toms are easy to tune and very low in pitch. I added bigger washers to the inside of the floor tom legs IMO there needed or you risk pulling what's there through the shells.

Drumlove65

MF has several color options the difference between them being the price. I'm gonna pull the trigger on the red sparkle that's listed for 399.00. The Muhashi Oak snares are now hard to find but I found one used in good condition on Amazon. For the rack and floor toms I'm thinking of emperors on the batter side and ambassadors on the resos. I'm clueless about the kick. Any suggestions please I welcome. If my thinking on the tom heads is misguided let me know. I have a friend who put Evans clears on top and bottom which he claims is better suited for mahogany shells.

Yamaha41

MF has several color options the difference between them being the price. I'm gonna pull the trigger on the red sparkle that's listed for 399.00. The Muhashi Oak snares are now hard to find but I found one used in good condition on Amazon. For the rack and floor toms I'm thinking of emperors on the batter side and ambassadors on the resos. I'm clueless about the kick. Any suggestions please I welcome. If my thinking on the tom heads is misguided let me know. I have a friend who put Evans clears on top and bottom which he claims is better suited for mahogany shells.
There's a Red Texture but no Red Sparkle im sure that was a typo but just incase.