Yamaha Recording Custom ($5000 kit!)

w3r1_drums

So this isn't my kit, but it was a pretty epic kit and I just wanted to put it up.

Last Friday, my band We Are One had the opportunity to record at a studio that has previously recorded such artists as Blink-182, Queens of the Stone Age, Boyz II Men, and other famous artists. My kick drum doesn't have a hole in the resonant head, so I took my toms and snare and decided that I would have a look at what they had. I like big stuff, so the guy helping me out decided (he essentially made the decision for me but I'm almost sure this is the same decision I would have made) that I would use their $5000 Yamaha Recording Custom kit from the 1980s with a 24" bass drum. Beautiful kit. I ended up using my own snare drum, but the rest of the kit is part of the set. (I believe the toms going from left to right were 10", 12", 16", 18" - I'm not sure about the depth)

A little bigger than what I'm used to, but that's a good thing, right? :p
The cymbals, snare, and bass pedal are what I own, everything else is the studio's gear.

Attachments

RickP

Gold Member
You would not get $5000 for that kit if you put it up for sale right now.
Maybe $2000 to $2500 - nice drums for sure ( I have owned two recording Custom kits) but no $5K kit.

w3r1_drums

You would not get $5000 for that kit if you put it up for sale right now.
Maybe $2000 to $2500 - nice drums for sure ( I have owned two recording Custom kits) but no $5K kit.
You're probably right. What I was told is that the kit was $5k when it was bought new in the 80s.

according to https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl, that's roughly 12k now, so I don't know if I believe him, but whatever. On sweetwater these go for nearly 5k new :p

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
Interesting that the engineer used a c414 on the 1st floor tom. Don't think I've seen that before because the amount of bleed you'd get with that.

Great looking kit too! I'm sure it sounded great in that room, especially with those Ks.

-Jonathan

w3r1_drums

I just went in the studio today and we finished the song.

We're going to get it copyrighted, promote it, and all that jazz but I can't wait to share it with you guys!

kevinmac

You're probably right. What I was told is that the kit was $5k when it was bought new in the 80s.

according to https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl, that's roughly 12k now, so I don't know if I believe him, but whatever. On sweetwater these go for nearly 5k new :p
No way way thats a 5k kit in the 80’s, someone is telling you a tale! The RC’s were a lot less than what they are today. Maybe $1800 tops In the 80’s new.

Last edited:

harryconway

Platinum Member
Love the RC's. I'm on my 3rd one now. You could pretty much assemble those drums right now, off eBay, for $4300. Everything's easy until you get to the 18" floor and the 24" kick. Little harder (and more expensive) to land those.