Yamaha Raven Black and Cranberry Red finishes

charliedrummer

I'm looking into getting my son a small Yamaha Stage Custom kit for his birthday and have a question about two of the finishes for those who might have either. He prefers black drums but I once saw an older set of Stage Customs in raven black at GC that had a greenish hue to them. Is this typical? I know the wood grain shows through but I'm hoping that this finish resembles piano black more than dark green. Cranberry red is his second choice. Is this similar to a cherry stain finish or is it a much brighter shade of red? If any of you have either of these finishes in the Stage Custom line, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I've had a couple of the Cranberry Red kits. Great color - I really like it a lot.

Haven't had the black, but yes, the ones I've seen have a greenish tint to them.
The raven black looks good, but not if you're expecting a solid black.

It is iridescent - like a raven's wing.
Take a look at the discussion here : http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105121

Here's a pic of the red - pretty close to how it looks in person:

Last edited:
I've had the Raven Black and it looks good but is not at all like piano black (see picture of my floor tom below).

I've seen the Cranberry Red ones in shops but never considered them; I think the colour is too pink-ish for me.

Dutch

...I've seen the Cranberry Red ones in shops but never considered them; I think the colour is too pink-ish for me....

Pinkish - wow - I've never seen any like that.

The bass drum hoops on my current set are such a deep, dark, heavy red, there's no way I'd call it cranberry.

And in lower lighting (without a flash or other lights), the set looks almost blackish from a distance.
Like the sides of the tom in the pic.

There must be a lot of variety, or a wide range of shades in the finishes.

I have a stage custom with 22,10,12,16 in raven black. It is very greenish up close but for 5 ft and further away , it just looks black.

Pinkish - wow - I've never seen any like that.

The bass drum hoops on my current set are such a deep, dark, heavy red, there's no way I'd call it cranberry.

And in lower lighting (without a flash or other lights), the set looks almost blackish from a distance.
Like the sides of the tom in the pic.

There must be a lot of variety, or a wide range of shades in the finishes.

Maybe it's the harsh Australian sun but the ones I've seen here don't look like in the picture you posted Bill. BTW my current SC is officially a Sapphire Blue but it looks more like gunmetal grey to me..

Dutch

P.S. Maybe I'm colour blind!!

Last edited:
This one's pink: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Yamaha/3-Piece-Tour-Custom-Drum-Kit.gc

I wouldn't have bought my set if it were that color. Nothing wrong with it, just not my thing.

An interesting set though. It looks like the recently discontinued maple Rock Tour kit in bop sizes.
Not sure about that though. GC usually doesn't list sizes on their used stuff.
Didn't know Yamaha made that - if that's indeed what it is.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies and especially to those who posted pictures. If the cranberry truly looks deep red like the photo wildbill posted, I think that might be a better choice in my situation than the raven black that at times can take give off a greenish tint.

Your best bet is probably to get to a store to see the finishes in person.

I don't have this set anymore, but if you say you're thinking of getting your son a small Yamaha Stage Custom kit, I'm thinking it's the Bop kit.
Here's a pic of the set like that I had. It's got some fairly strong lighting on it - you can tell from the cymbal stand shadow on the floor tom:

Last edited:
That looks nice Bill. This is the Cranberry Red colour I've seen locally which is more candy-like.. Guess you want to be careful buying sight-unseen..

Dutch

Your best bet is probably to get to a store to see the finishes in person.

I don't have this set anymore, but if you say you're thinking of getting your son a small Yamaha Stage Custom kit, I'm thinking it's the Bop kit.
Here's a pic of the set like that I had. It's got some fairly strong lighting on it - you can tell from the cymbal stand shadow on the floor tom:

I'm actually looking at the new Manu Katche Junior kit that should be available sometime this month. If the photos you posted of your former cranberry red bop kit are accurate, that's the finish I think I'll go for. It's interesting how some of the transparent black finishes take on different colors. Gretsch had a transparent ebony Renown finish that looked brownish in certain lighting. I also saw a similar kit (Mapex?) that looked dark purple.

You're definitely going to have to check them out in person.
They list 3 colors available, and while two of them have the previous names I've heard of, they could be new or altered versions of what's been out before.
The red looks different from what I've posted:
http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/drums/compact/junior_kit_2015/?mode=model

And Dutch - the pic you posted looks several shades lighter than the ones I've had, and have seen around here.
Not as consistent as a wrap - that's for sure.

This is the Manu in real life:
attachment.php

(picture by Yamaha Drums Facebook Page)

attachment.php

(pictures by Nathalie BlochSitbon)

Comes close to Red Oak (my color of choice)

The thing with this kind or red, it looks different depending the incidence of light

Hey MusiQmaN: would you happen to know the sizes on that kit?
I've read some differing opinions on it, and as usual, Yamaha didn't put any info on their site.
I see TT10 on one tom though.

The kits in the first pic you posted look more like wraps or paint, than stain to me.
But pictures can be funny that way.

From the Facebook page (i've noticed that is the new information source, very modern)

The new Manu Katché Junior kit consists of 100% Birch shells with 16"x15" Bass Drum (with riser), 10"x7",12"x7" Tom Toms, 13"x12" Floor Tom and 12"x5" Snare and comes in 3 lacquered finishes: Raven Black, Cranberry Red and Deep Violet.

Raven Black and Cranberry Red can additionally be combined with shells from our Stage Custom Birch series.

That looks nice Bill. This is the Cranberry Red colour I've seen locally which is more candy-like.. Guess you want to be careful buying sight-unseen..

Dutch

That color looks like their Raspberry Metallic finish that they offered, as opposed to the Cranberry Red.

I have a 2012 version of the Stage Custom in the Cranberry Red finish and it looks like the pictures that Bill has posted. I actually was going to get the Honey Amber finish until I saw both of them in person and the Cranberry Red just caught my eye....beautiful finish.

That color looks like their Raspberry Metallic finish that they offered, as opposed to the Cranberry Red.

I have a 2012 version of the Stage Custom in the Cranberry Red finish and it looks like the pictures that Bill has posted. I actually was going to get the Honey Amber finish until I saw both of them in person and the Cranberry Red just caught my eye....beautiful finish.

Ding, ding - we have a winner here: http://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/drums/drumsets/stage_custom/?mode=model

Raspberry Metallic it is. They also show Cranberry Red and Raven Black toms on that page for comparison.

Hey CALLEDOUTONE: which configuration/sizes did you get?
Yes - I think the Red is pretty gorgeous too.

Hey CALLEDOUTONE: which configuration/sizes did you get?
Yes - I think the Red is pretty gorgeous too.[/QUOTE]

I have the 5 piece shell pack with the 20" bass drum and 14" floor tom.I was hoping to add a 16" floor tom, to add another voice when needed, but they changed the design a bit before I was able to do so.So now I'm keeping my eye out for a used one. I think with the design and construction of these drums along with the beautiful finishes that they sit well above their price point.

I have that same set now - 20/10/12/14/14snare - love the sizes.

I got a 16" floor tom for one of the sets, but didn't care for it. It was too much of a stretch for me using it with the 14, and if I only use one, I like the 14 better.
I toyed with the idea of making a mini bass drum out of it (which I've done before with other toms), but decided to just sell it instead.

That's why I wasn't so stressed out getting a 16" floor tom. I really like the sizes of this kit as well and the 14" floor tom takes care of my needs. I was only looking for the 16" for an extra voice on a couple of songs that I do but to be honest it would have probably ended up just sitting alone at home most of the time. This was the first kit that I have owned that had a 20" bass drum and to be honest I can't see myself playing any other size now. I still have a kit that has a 22", but that doesn't get taken out anymore.

Back