Yamaha people and/or builders: I need a little help

Old Dog new Cans

I'm restoring and converting a Yamaha marching bass drum. ALL of the plastic pieces that hold the swivel nuts in place have been crushed from the drum heads being CRANKED! Any chance someone has 24 of these they don't need? Plus a metal Yamaha clip that holds that plastic piece. DFD doesn't appear to have the proper size. These are pretty small (I put a micrometer on a piece of one--I'm pretty sure the width is about .35 inches or 8.9mm).

I don't mind making them if that's an easy ordeal. I just need some help knowing what I need to make them from.

Thanks

A million years ago when I was still on FB, I contacted Yamaha there re: a mouthpiece for a Pianica. I asked where to buy one, they sent me one for free. They responded quite quickly, iirc.
I can't guarantee they'll treat you as well, but it's worth a try. ;)

A million years ago when I was still on FB, I contacted Yamaha there re: a mouthpiece for a Pianica. I asked where to buy one, they sent me one for free. They responded quite quickly, iirc.
I can't guarantee they'll treat you as well, but it's worth a try. ;)

Well the parts I would need total less than $3 or so at DFD (if they were to fit properly). Maybe I'll get lucky!

And I had to look up Pianica! Lol

So I called Yamaha today and spoke with a Dennis. He sent me parts catalog pics via email. And they do NOT show the part I need.

I'm having great difficulty with this. I'm probably going to order some from DFD and see if I can make them work.

I don't mind making them if that's an easy ordeal. I just need some help knowing what I need to make them from.
Can you post a pick of what you have and what you need? It doesnt have to be exact, but I am having a hard time envisioning what exactly you need. There might be a pretty simple DIY solution to this.

Can you post a pick of what you have and what you need? It doesnt have to be exact, but I am having a hard time envisioning what exactly you need. There might be a pretty simple DIY solution to this.

This IS the problem----ALL 24 on the drum have been completely crushed. Here's a generic pic.

1614889060574.png

I actually may have found Yamaha's version. . . . .and if I did, they WANT $2.30 a piece!!!!! While DFD sells their replacements for 15 cents. No way in hell I'm giving Yamaha 55 bucks for little tiny plastic parts that cost all of 3 cents to make.

Got access to a 3D printer? I'm not really sure how to reproduce something that small.

Maybe just put new lugs on the thing?

This IS the problem----ALL 24 on the drum have been completely crushed. Here's a generic pic.

View attachment 101868

I actually may have found Yamaha's version. . . . .and if I did, they WANT $2.30 a piece!!!!! While DFD sells their replacements for 15 cents. No way in hell I'm giving Yamaha 55 bucks for little tiny plastic parts that cost all of 3 cents to make.

They look like plastic lug locks with a larger oblong hole drilled

They look like plastic lug locks with a larger oblong hole drilled

DFD refers to them as swivel nut stoppers. That's a pic of one of their parts. I actually made a mistake. I've restored more than a few kits in the last few years. Yamaha is different. Their "stoppers" are metal. And, the plastic piece I was searching for is actually an O ring that the swivel nut/or receiver fits through.
I found a guy on Ebay that has a 3d printer and makes certain drum pieces. I purchased a Yamaha bass drum "plate" to cover the tom mount holes. Very well made. I happen to search Yamaha lug O ring and one listing came up (of the actual part)--same guy.

Way more than I thought I would have to pay for such a small plastic part. But his price is about 1/3 of what Yamaha wants. He did throw in 4 for me.

Back