Yamaha part number question

John Q. Drummer

I've got a Yamaha BCA kit with YESS mounts from 1999 (I think) and one of the three allen/hex key heads screws underneath one of the tom holders has stripped out. As such, it doesn't hold its position as well as it should when tightened and I want to replace it. Yamaha sells them almost anywhere where their instruments are sold.

But looking at the catalog from that time period, the tom holder was labeled TH945A. But searching for that part number comes up with stuff in Malaysia and older stuff on various sites like Reverb and eBay. That number doesn't appear to exist on the Yamaha website or in more recent catalogs now. There is a TH945B which is on all their kits and the part(s) looks exactly the same. (For the record, I don't need the whole tom mounting assembly, which is what the TH945A or B is. I just need the CL-945B tom holder...I THINK.)

Hence my question(s): Is the CL-945B the direct replacement part I need to accomplish my needs? If it is, does anyone know why Yamaha switched from the "A" to the "B" in their nomenclature?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

A usually means new model with Yamaha.

Interesting that they seemed to have switched the other way or up in letters with these.

i would buy a new used tom holder as they go for 5-15 and that is probably cheaper than a replacement part.

And tou have more spare parts with it too.

Take the allen screw out and take it to Lowes/Home Depot/wherever. They can help you get a replacement. No need to buy new hardware.

Take the allen screw out and take it to Lowes/Home Depot/wherever. They can help you get a replacement. No need to buy new hardware.

Not in this instance. The threads in the receiving end of the top cap housing bit are gone. Literally. The allen head screw itself is just fine. The only thing holding the screw in place was a tiny little section of threading that came out/disintegrated when I was trying to tighten that screw down.

The kit (and it's hardware) was used and it's from the late 90's/early 2000's. It's not the end of the world to buy a new one. They are cheap and readily available.

My understanding with the A and B label is that some have a longer hex arm than others. You can also get holders with a longer base tube, for use as a single tom mount in a four piece kit (like the SC bop kit).
Note, if you order the wrong legth hex arm, you can use the one from your old mount.

Hi JQ and welcome to DW. Take a look at Yamaha's part site You can find parts at Yamaha's web site https://parts-search.yamaha.co.jp/html/WIND_ENGLISH/index.php

That link is SUPER helpful. I'm a little confused that I wasn't able to find that database doing my own research. Maybe I'm not a good Googler.

I thank you profusely for your assistance. That link has helped with with other questions I've had regarding my change over to all Yamaha.

Watch this video, maybe you can repair it yourself. Not that the Yamaha tom holders are very expensive, but still...

That link is SUPER helpful. I'm a little confused that I wasn't able to find that database doing my own research. Maybe I'm not a good Googler.

I thank you profusely for your assistance. That link has helped with with other questions I've had regarding my change over to all Yamaha.

Your welcome JQD.

Back