yamaha oak live vs dw performance vs pearl masters and 20 vs 22 kick

Jonsgearlocker

just wondering some opinions on the above. currently have a yamaha stage custom, maybe should ask stage custom vs live custom first, anyone compared let me know thanks

trynberg

I own the Live Oaks with 22x18 bass drum, but tested the Live Oaks, the Stage Customs, the Masters BCX, and DW Performance all in the same room. All bass drums were 22x18 export for the Stage Custom with a 20". All stock heads.

To me, the Stage Custom was blown away by the other bass drums. I would put the Masters and DW about even in volume and punch. The Live Oak bass drum hit harder and seemed louder to me.

trynberg

Yes, I did. Volume was not the primary factor as the Masters and DW were plenty loud. I've always liked to be a little different and the oak just sounded different (and better to me) than the birch and maple kits. I will say that the Pearl hardware and build quality is outstanding. I found the DW quality pretty lacking in comparison.

Jonsgearlocker

yea i like pearl hardware. yamaha has great hardware. hearing mixed stories of dw performace and dw in general. some love some don't.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
I currently have a set of Live Oaks and I also owned the DW Performance drums. Both bass drums were 18x22. The DW sounded great to my ears, however I am not a fan of virgin bass drums. I traded them in towards the Live Oaks, I also owned the Oak Customs. I love the Live oak bass drum, plenty of volume and great sound, but it is heavy. You may have seen my kit in the classified section for sale.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Nothing wrong with virgin bass drums, it's just for me it's much easier to set my tom up on the bass drum mount rather than on the cymbal stand or another snare stand. It works for me.

As for Live Oak vs. Oak Custom, they both sound great Both made very well, Live Oaks are a bit thicker.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
The reason for trying to sell the kit is age. I'm 62. I work about 120 gigs per year and the 22x18 oak bass drum is heavy. I have been using my 4 piece Magstar kit with 20" bass drum, or my Littlebird kit with a 20x14

I'm on my iPad now but will send you a picture

Jonsgearlocker

see your ad on ebay too. decent price, i'm thinking of the deal on musicians friend get a coupon add zildjians, wondering between the 20 or 22 bass. extra 50 bucks get bigger bass and bigger floor tom.