Yamaha MCAN issue

The Edge

I have a Yamaha MCAN blue sparkle kit. I bought it used without the snare drum. Since Yamaha is discontinuing the line, I'm thinking of ordering the snare before the June 28 deadline.

The reason I want the snare is for the kit value. If I ever decide to sell it, I'm thinking the kit would have more value with the snare.

I would be ordering through Fork's in Nashville. I'm looking for opinions. My kit has the Nouveau lugs with aluminum die cast hoops. It'll cost $575 for absolute lugs and $675 for hook lugs. I'm leaning torwards the snare with absolute lugs because it's cheaper. Do you guys and gals think buying the snare is good overall idea? Which snare would you buy?

By the way, I've checked ebay alot and have yet to see one of these snares.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I'm not a big Yamaha guy but I'm not sure you will get back the money for the snare just because it matches the kit. Most kits are sold as shell packs without the snare but will let the Yamaha boys chime in.

Dutch

I wouldn't do it. I believe that perhaps in the entry-level drum kit market people would be looking for a full kit (i.e. including snare), but at the top end (where your MCAN resides) most would buy drums and snares separately (I know I do).

Should you ever decide to sell your kit many factors would determine the resale value and your ability to off-load it at a price that's fair (condition of the kit, state of the economy, what's "fashionable" in drumland at that time, number of potential customers in your geographic area, etc.). Don't waste your money now for a situation that may not ever eventuate.

Dutch

Milt Hathaway

Two things:

1. You don't want the Nouveau lugs on a snare. There is so much lug tension on a snare that the Nouveau lugs break. While they are just fine on the rest of the kit, they are terrible for snare applications.

2. Your snare doesn't have to match the rest of the kit. The vast majority of pro players don't have a "matching snare." I'm even of the opinion that it should not match the kit. It's a different instrument for a different purpose.

Sure, it's nice if the finish is similar, but even then hardly anyone will be able to see it well enough to notice.

wildbill

Platinum Member
...The reason I want the snare is for the kit value. If I ever decide to sell it, I'm thinking the kit would have more value with the snare...

If that's the only reason you'd get it, I'd say not to - for the reasons Dutch mentions.

There's a miniscule possibility you'd get your money back, if things go wild after Yamaha goes China. But I wouldn't bet on it - LOL

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Yamaha Drums is discontinuing most of their Japanese-made kits in June of 2013 and NOW is your last chance to get these legendary drums from Yamaha's Japanese factory! Yamaha's future high-end drum production will be accomplished in a new custom-built factory.

Drum Models Being Discontinued Include:
Recording Custom
Oak Custom
Maple Custom Absolute
Birch Custom Absolute
Club Custom
Metal, Concept, and Musashi Snare Drums
This is your last chance to finally get the Yamaha kit of your dreams, or to add-on to your current Yamaha kit!

From Massmusic.net

Last edited:

The Edge

Yamaha Drums is discontinuing most of their Japanese-made kits in June of 2013 and NOW is your last chance to get these legendary drums from Yamaha's Japanese factory! Yamaha's future high-end drum production will be accomplished in a new custom-built factory.

Drum Models Being Discontinued Include:
Recording Custom
Oak Custom
Maple Custom Absolute
Birch Custom Absolute
Club Custom
Metal, Concept, and Musashi Snare Drums
This is your last chance to finally get the Yamaha kit of your dreams, or to add-on to your current Yamaha kit!

This is one of the reasons I'm thinking about doing it. I won't have this chance after June.

The Edge

Two things:

1. You don't want the Nouveau lugs on a snare. There is so much lug tension on a snare that the Nouveau lugs break. While they are just fine on the rest of the kit, they are terrible for snare applications.

2. Your snare doesn't have to match the rest of the kit. The vast majority of pro players don't have a "matching snare." I'm even of the opinion that it should not match the kit. It's a different instrument for a different purpose.

Sure, it's nice if the finish is similar, but even then hardly anyone will be able to see it well enough to notice.
I don't believe you can get the Nouveau lugs anymore. The hook lugs are the updated, sturdier version of those.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I wouldnt say don't do it, you won't get another chance, but if and when you sell the kit I don't think you will reap the 600.00 additional

Last edited:

SLAINTE

I have had my fair share of kits over the years and I have not always played the snares that came with them, if the kit actually came with one in the first place. But with that being said I actually do like the way a kit looks if the snare matches, as long as it sounds good. So I say if you like the way that snare sounds then I would say go for it, because pretty soon you won't be able to get a MIJ Yamaha snare drum. So not only would you have a great sounded snare drum that matches your set but you will have a piece of history of the drumming world.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I doubt it will increase the resale value of your kit by $575. Could put a dent in it but I wouldn't bother... spend the money on a new and interesting snare or an add on tom I say.

Dutch

I forgot to mention that I play a Yamaha Recording Custom in cherrywood, so I never had your issue: they don't make RC snares to begin with! But I do concur with part of your reasoning: I will be getting that 8" tom before end of June: I never needed it but always wanted it!
Good luck,
Dutch

wildbill

Platinum Member
I forgot to mention that I play a Yamaha Recording Custom in cherrywood, so I never had your issue: they don't make RC snares to begin with!...

There's an RC snare available locally at a resale shop. It was part of a kit, but this place always splits them up and sells the shell pack and snare separately.

Here's an example of one: http://www.maxwelldrums.com/yamaha-5x14-recording-custom-snare-drum-p-7578.html

The one I've seen here is deeper though - looks like about 7" deep in Piano Black.

If you mean they don't currently make them, I guess you're right. I don't see them listed on the Yamaha sites.

A

audiotech

If and when you sell, you may not justify the full price of the snare drum alone if it's just added to the price of the original drums, but the overall value of the full kit including the new snare drum may very well be worth more than just the additional cost of the snare drum to the perspective buyer. If that perspective buyer only wants to purchase the kit without the new snare, sell it and post the snare drum by itself. With Yamaha no longer making it, you should get a premium price for it.

If it was me, I would audition the the same type Yamaha snare drum and if I liked what I heard, it would be mine and actually about four years ago, it was.

If you need better clarification, I'll do it in the morning, lol.

Dennis

harryconway

Platinum Member
Another vote for DON'T DO IT. When it comes to high end drums, I don't think having a matching snare or not having a matching snare means much. I've never bought a kit, that had a matching snare. I have 7 snares .... and 7 kits. And I mix and match as I see fit.​
If somewhere down the road, you sell the MCAN's ... you probably won't get the cost of the snare .... out of it.​

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
On the other hand, if you want a matching snare for the kit, and don't plan on selling, then get one. I like seeing a matching snare every now and then, and if its something you want, then by all means. Maybe you won't sell it and will like it forever. they are high-end drums, afterall.

But, like everyone else, I wouldn't invest in it thinking I'd get the money back if I sold the kit. However, I do know when I had a DW zebra finish four-piece, what helped sell it was the fact that I also got a matching snare for it. And I happened to find a buyer who insisted on it.

A

audiotech

I don't know how many people have seen it, but Anthony's Gretsch Brooklyn Bop kit looks very nice with it's matching snare drum. Having played a Brooklyn set of drums, they sound as good as they look.

Dennis

johnnylaw

That is the snare I play (5X14 absolute lug). I bought it used at a great price because I loved the sound and feel of it.
I later purchased a Tour Custom Maple bop shell pack in Ocean Blue that doesn't match the natural wood snare finish.
I never thought about resale. These are likely to be my only drums though.

D

drumming sort of person

I always like to have a matching snare, as it will have a similar tonality. Plus, Yamaha makes really nice wood drums (metal, not so much). The problem I have here is with the price. No way is that snare worth any more than $450. Tell Forks you'll take the one with Absolute lugs for $450 incl. shipping or shop elsewhere.