Yamaha Manu Katche Hipgig

Billy Boy

Does anyone own a set of these drums? If so, could you give me a review? it says that the drums are mahogany - what is the quality of sound for mahogany drums?

I've read only good things about the (rather small) kit. But Yamaha makes good stuff. Around $300-400 or so used seems about right.

I have owned my hipgig jr. kit for 8+ years and it has served me well. Back when I bought the kit, there were few options in the micro kit catagory, now there are all kjnds of kits in this genera. Still they are great kits although the current version is getting kind of pricey. I use mine 2 times a week for open mics I host and I used to use them for my jazz gigs before I scored my Fibes micro kit. The Yammies live in the garage year round including sub zero winters her in Buffalo NY. All the hardware has held up well and I'm still kicking the factory Remo UT heads on the kick. The matching 12" snare drum stays home and I typically use an Acro or a Mapex Black Panther 6x13 snare. Micro kits are great to have around, you will use them more than you would imagine I use mine for kid clinics, living room practices, coffee shops, etc.
Jeff

Attachments

• Dscn5723.jpg
    Dscn5723.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 6,371
  • DSC03750.JPG
    DSC03750.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 6,182
is mahogany more in the low range or upper range? i would be probably wanting to tune the toms up for be-bop... would this be appropriate for this kit?

My first drum kit, it was love at first sight

Here it is at a cool little blues gig we did over in Arkansas

Katchegig100.jpg

Alas I did sell it for a bigger kit, and later bought a Sonor Safari and to be honest, I like it better,

is mahogany more in the low range or upper range? i would be probably wanting to tune the toms up for be-bop... would this be appropriate for this kit?

It will sound great in that range!...the manu is a great little kit...mahogany tends to be a little more mellow in tone...

Back