Yamaha FP9

Cool
What made you decide on the chains vs direct drive? Can you buy a direct drive unit and install so you can have either option?
Thanks!

I went in Manchester PMT and they had the chain drive version of the FP9 and I tried a Tama Dyna-Sync in direct drive. After playing with them both and making adjustments i preferred the Yamaha by far. I spoke to the Drum dept assistant and we talked a good deal about the differences and benefits and the chain just seemed right.

I'm not sure about buying a direct drive unit, but when you buy the chain unit it comes with interchangeable straps.

Hey guys, I just got the double bass direct drive version of this pedal and my beater angle adjustment keeps coming loose as I play. Is anyone else having this issue? I tighten it as hard as I can and it still comes loose after varying minutes of play. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix? Is my pedal defect?

Hey guys, I just got the double bass direct drive version of this pedal and my beater angle adjustment keeps coming loose as I play. Is anyone else having this issue? I tighten it as hard as I can and it still comes loose after varying minutes of play. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix? Is my pedal defect?
Thanks, I’m gonna take it back to the shop and have them take a look at it.
Did you get this resolved? Mine has started to do this too.

Thanks, I’m gonna take it back to the shop and have them take a look at it.
Mine was resolved by fitting extra washers on the pedal. The Drum department at PMT Manchester worked this out and fixed it for me. Its like 99% perfect now.

I've tried both at home for a week and eventually settled for the chain one.
View attachment 86646
Hi,
I had only option to try direct version in our music store, but I am very curious about their differenceses. When I tried FP9D, I liked it so much I bought it. My pedal before new Yamaha was DW 9000. Dw felt so heavy under my foot and I was searching something lighter so that is why i chose direct drive. My only thought was, does the chain version of fp9 feels as light as direct? Could you explain what were the main differences between direct and chain drive and why you chose chain between those two?
Thanks

I have the older 8500 Direct drive double pedal and found them to be more to my liking than the more complex FP9D . This is no slight agains the new pedal , I just looked lighter action pedals and the FP 8500doect drive fits the bill for me .

Attachments

• D72A27A7-57FD-4D6F-BFF8-820DE6745D04.jpeg
    D72A27A7-57FD-4D6F-BFF8-820DE6745D04.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 7
Could you explain what were the main differences between direct and chain drive and why you chose chain between those two?

I'll try: Yamaha publishes a chart that shows how the chain drive follows a linear function between the position of the pedal and that of yr foot, whereas the DD requires less effort at the beginning and more at the end. In practice it is not a problem on the way down, but the rigid link throws back the pedal in a sort of "rebound feel". It requires an additional effort to control and, at my humble level, at the cost of precision. Remember that somewhere in the 80's chain pedals were invented as a progress upon direct drives, for they were smoother and more precise.

Since I made the above comments though, I replaced the chain with the belt that comes with the pedal. And that's a lot nicer. You get the directness of the DD but in a linear fashion, and no rebound. Overall it's really a great pedal, smooth, super fast. However, I also notice that some critical parts are made of plastic, which on a tour could be worrying because there might be some weak points, especially at the spring attachment. Also the pedal is very quiet but, when played fast, not totally -which could also raise issues for recording.

I can't refrain from thinking of a few guys in this thread who said they went back to a 9000 or 8500, or when you lay your foot on an abandoned Pearl Eliminator in a studio and feel like it plays so naturally... Don't get me wrong, I don't plan to get rid of it, but overall the FP9 may be too much of a good thing.

Also the pedal is very quiet but, when played fast, not totally -which could also raise issues for recording.

Mine just started squeaking a little bit after a nearly a year. Some WD40 rubbed into the springs helped and now it's back to silence. Not that I play all that fast.

Man I really wanted to love that pedal. In the end, I prefer the older model from Yamaha.

Same. For the price, I had high expectations from FP9.

They are shiny, and slick looking. I didn't feel any improvements in function over my Flying Dragons. Certainly nothing to justify the price.

This is the first instance where Yamaha has failed to impress me.

I’m looking at a used Yamaha DFP880. Are you familiar with it? How does it compare to DW5000, Iron Cobra 600?
Master was great. A lot like the current 7210a. Slave was sloppy. I imagine a modern driveshaft would fix that, but it had too much play in it. I regret selling mine. Never had an ounce of trouble with that pedal.

Back