Yamaha EAD10 trigger add-ons and VSTs?

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
This is my first time messing around with e-drums, and I'd like to set up an electric snare for a low volume practice pad. Thankfully I don't need to invest in a module because I already have a EAD10. If I like the setup I might add trigger pads around my acoustic kit for a hybrid setup. So my questions are

1. Will most brands of pads/triggers work with the EAD10

2. Can I run VST drum software from my computer into the EAD10

and if anyone knows, does the EAD10 support positional sensing? If anyone can help, thank you I appreciate it!

electrodrummer

This is my first time messing around with e-drums, and I'd like to set up an electric snare for a low volume practice pad. Thankfully I don't need to invest in a module because I already have a EAD10. If I like the setup I might add trigger pads around my acoustic kit for a hybrid setup. So my questions are

1. Will most brands of pads/triggers work with the EAD10

2. Can I run VST drum software from my computer into the EAD10

and if anyone knows, does the EAD10 support positional sensing? If anyone can help, thank you I appreciate it!

1. Yup - but check the manual for the different types with reference to multiple zone pads. If you want three-zones, then you'll need to use Yamaha pads, for example. (they're the best, anyway ;) )

2. "Into"? Eh?

3. Positional? Nope.

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
2. "Into"? Eh?

Sorry I'm new to this so I might not know all the terminology

What I mean is, can I use ezdrummer 2 sounds with the EAD10 module if I connect it to my computer? It has a spot for USB on the back of the module but I know this isn't a traditional e-drum module so I wanted to check

But thanks for the reply this helps a lot!

sumdrumguy

1. Any single zone pad/trigger will work with the EAD. If you are wanting multi-zone capability, use Yamaha pads/triggers.

2. If I am understanding you correctly, no. Unlike actual Yamaha drum modules, the EAD has very limited midi in/out capability via USB.

You can extend it's use a little by adding pads/triggers, and import small samples into the EAD. You can't assign/trigger sounds from your computer/laptop VST library.

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
If I am understanding you correctly, no. Unlike actual Yamaha drum modules, the EAD has very limited midi in/out capability via USB.

You can extend it's use a little by adding pads/triggers, and import small samples into the EAD. You can't assign/trigger sounds from your computer/laptop VST library.

Ahh I see, well thank you I think that answers all my questions. Maybe I'll like the trigger sounds in the EAD10 module. If not maybe I can find a way to import my own sounds

electrodrummer

Sorry I'm new to this so I might not know all the terminology

What I mean is, can I use ezdrummer 2 sounds with the EAD10 module if I connect it to my computer? It has a spot for USB on the back of the module but I know this isn't a traditional e-drum module so I wanted to check

But thanks for the reply this helps a lot!

Yes. It's, in effect, a DTX drum module with an FX unit.

Turbine

I use the EAD10 with Superior Drummer 3 and it triggers great. The onboard sounds get old fast so I love using the EAD10 for the drum sounds and Zildjian LV80’s for the cymbal sounds. Super fun practice kit.

sumdrumguy

This discussion (Dec 2018) was before the EAD's firmware update. Being able to trigger VST's was just one of the awesome tweaks Yamaha made to the EAD (y)

Hypercaffium

I use the EAD10 with Superior Drummer 3 and it triggers great. The onboard sounds get old fast so I love using the EAD10 for the drum sounds and Zildjian LV80’s for the cymbal sounds. Super fun practice kit.
What to you do to hear both the cymbals and SD3 sounds? Do you use a mixer?