Yamaha DTX6K3-X vs DTX950K

Which is the better buy here? There’s a 950K used with a 3 yr warranty for $3000 or there’s the new DTX6K3-X for $1800.

Key differences I see is the DTX6K3-X has a better? module, a rubber kickpad instead of the DTX pad kick, a plastic rack, and one less DTX tom. Perhaps the DTX pads are of different sizes as well..

Is it worth the $3000 for the 950K used vs the $1800 new DTX6K3-X?

Last edited:
The 6 is obs much newer. Comes supplied with smaller pads out of the box. (obs, you can use bigger ones if you like). Have a listen to check out the sounds - many would suggest they are jolly good. (rack is not plastic!)

The 9 is the older flagship. Bigger pads (if that's important). Best MIDI of any module, ever - up to 100 sounds on each zone on each pad - so that's up to 300 sounds on one pad! Very flexible audio output choices as well

You need to download and read the manuals to check functions, and pref (obs) go play 'em.

The 6 is obs much newer. Comes supplied with smaller pads out of the box. (obs, you can use bigger ones if you like). Have a listen to check out the sounds - many would suggest they are jolly good. (rack is not plastic!)

The 9 is the older flagship. Bigger pads (if that's important). Best MIDI of any module, ever - up to 100 sounds on each zone on each pad - so that's up to 300 sounds on one pad! Very flexible audio output choices as well

You need to download and read the manuals to check functions, and pref (obs) go play 'em.
Unfortunately no opportunity to try before buy here, even in San Diego. Was getting buyers remorse even before receiving the 950K. I see the smaller pads on the 6, rubber kick instead of the DTX kick pad, from what I hear on YouTube the sounds may even be better in the 950K.

Unfortunately no opportunity to try before buy here, even in San Diego. Was getting buyers remorse even before receiving the 950K. I see the smaller pads on the 6, rubber kick instead of the DTX kick pad, from what I hear on YouTube the sounds may even be better in the 950K.

The KP90 is a fine kick pad. Again, subjective - down to YOU to try if poss. Has multiple physical layers that come into play the harder you hit.

As for sounds - VERY subjective and there will be people on both sides (as will all things drumming - indeed, all things musical) who will shout for the one they bought as the best.

Can't advise either way in an empirical fashion - only suggest you look at the features to ensure you get what fits your needs - then yes, play if poss or you're just going to have to go on videos online. (But that's like buying a car based on a YouTube video ;) )

As mentioned - the feature set is different. The 9 will give multiple outputs, silly numbers of layers, 3-zone pads everywhere, etc. The 6 has more recently sampled kits, physical modifier knobs, and a more compact form factor.

Either way - both bloody good kits with more features then you can shake a stick at, damned fine sounds (no need to buy an extra computer and a load of software to make it sound good!) - and no evil proprietary cable snakes ;)

if you use a vst then 950 wins by a landslide: better hardware and more powerful module. but kit only wise i think the newer kit is almost always the better option because of the updated sounds and functionality that this generation uses a lot (like bluetooth in some cases).

if you use a vst then 950 wins by a landslide: better hardware and more powerful module. but kit only wise i think the newer kit is almost always the better option because of the updated sounds and functionality that this generation uses a lot (like bluetooth in some cases).
VST.. guess I have some reading up to do. I do plan on doing recording later down the road. I was hoping the 950K had Bluetooth but that’s okay. Not too important. Longevity is important and I’m hoping those DTX pads last or break within the 3 yr gold coverage period musicians friends has. First time buying that warranty, I’m curious how that will play out given that the 950K is discontinued. Makes me wonder if they attempt repairs, do they send it to Yamaha?

VST.. guess I have some reading up to do. I do plan on doing recording later down the road. I was hoping the 950K had Bluetooth but that’s okay. Not too important. Longevity is important and I’m hoping those DTX pads last or break within the 3 yr gold coverage period musicians friends has. First time buying that warranty, I’m curious how that will play out given that the 950K is discontinued. Makes me wonder if they attempt repairs, do they send it to Yamaha?
i wouldn’t bother too much with warranties.. usually it’s a bad deal.
dtx950 is from 2012 so bluetooth wasn’t really common back then, especially in drums so obviously it doesn’t have bluetooth. i think only the newer roland models have them. yamaha is good quality, you can expect at least 5 years or a decade without problems, but some people had problems with TCS pads blistering, so be prepared for that. the cymbals and hardware should be good though.

dtx950 is from 2012 so bluetooth wasn’t really common back then, especially in drums so obviously it doesn’t have bluetooth. i think only the newer roland models have them. yamaha is good quality, you can expect at least 5 years or a decade without problems, but some people had problems with TCS pads blistering, so be prepared for that. the cymbals and hardware should be good though.
$350 for 3 yrs covering everything on a 5-8 yr old kit. I think it’s a good deal. Module looks like it’s $1600 new, $399 new for a DTX pad. One alone will make up for it. I think for used kits it’s a smart move, especially on those used TD12s for $1K, 3 yrs is only $180.

I suppose other option is buying the $1799 6 DTX, buy $2400 of the 950K pads. Sell the original 6 DTX pads for $200 a piece and the 6 kick pad. Would be around $3300 total I suppose at the end but still wouldn’t have the 950K module or the rack.

I recall when playing on the td9, I had some AKGs that had a long cable, and every now and then a drum stick would get caught on the cable and throw the headphones. Didn’t happen often, but when it did, those headphones would fly.
bluetooth is for connecting your phone to send music to the module, not for headphones. otherwise there would be too much latency

I suppose other option is buying the $1799 6 DTX, buy $2400 of the 950K pads. Sell the original 6 DTX pads for $200 a piece and the 6 kick pad. Would be around $3300 total I suppose at the end but still wouldn’t have the 950K module or the rack.
don’t overthink this and buy a roland td17kvx, it has all the features you could ask for and it’s 1900.

don’t overthink this and buy a roland td17kvx, it has all the features you could ask for and it’s 1900.
I want to try the DTX pads. The td9kx I had.. yes it was like 10 yrs ago but the heads were like trampolines, the transition from electronic to acoustic was tragic. I definitely need to give the DTX pads a try.

I want to try the DTX pads. The td9kx I had.. yes it was like 10 yrs ago but the heads were like trampolines, the transition from electronic to acoustic was tragic. I definitely need to give the DTX pads a try.
oh ok. then the top end DTX6 should do

Trampolines….that’s exactly how I’d describe the (only) mesh pads I’d tried - on an Alesis Mesh Nitro kit I initially bought. Then I had a dtx Yamaha tcs silicon pad by chance.
I found it a revelation by comparison although to be fair the Alesis pads were the only mesh kit i have tried.
I bought the kit in question, but have replaced almost all pads with bigger ones of the same type; one 70 yet to replaced. Not convinced about the hi hat through- messy to get set up right , takes floor space (I have a snare on a stand too) and seems to keep turning. I’ve gone back to one on a pole and a separate floor trigger pad.
No regrets so far, but maybe top end Roland mesh pads are better as I’ve not tried them?

I recall when playing on the td9, I had some AKGs that had a long cable, and every now and then a drum stick would get caught on the cable and throw the headphones. Didn’t happen often, but when it did, those headphones would fly.
Cable down back of neck, held on to shirt collar with a cable croc clip if necessary. Sorted. Same as with IEMs. Don't have the cable down your front.
1626253769925.png

Never use Bluetooth headphones with drums. Hit drum, wait for a bit..... hear the hit. #latency.

- so - still no need for Bluetooth!

No regrets so far, but maybe top end Roland mesh pads are better as I’ve not tried them?
Bouncy, hot-spotty, only 2-zones... and can be bloody loud like hitting Tupperware :(

That’s interesting to hear that- why then are our super duper tcs silicon Yamaha pads not the market leaders?
mesh still seems to be king out there?

Back