Yamaha Drums

Re: THE YAMAHA DRUMS THREAD

I've been saying that for ages - it would be nirvana if Yamaha made a bubinga model... Without that real ugly new YESS system though.

You guys talking about bubinga are forgetting about Yamaha's Oak Customs. The bubinga is similar to the Oaks.

yamaha NAMM 2008:

yam.jpg
Yamaha have lots of new gear covering both acoustic and electronic and high and low end. The PHX (or Phoenix) range is the new high end kit, coming in above the Absolute range. The shell are come in two styles – maple or ash – with a hybrid shell mixing Jatoba, Kapur and maple and the ash outer ply.

yam1.jpg

The drums also have a new design of quick release lugs (different from the Absolute Nouveau) and a new YESS mounting system made from wood (!).

yam2.jpg

The shells have the very hard Jatoba in the middle with the hardness gradually diminishing as the plies go out to the maple on the outer and inner faces.

yam4.jpg
These drums are ultra high end so they priced accordingly.( $$$)

yam3.jpg

The Stage Custom line has been totally redesigned and now features an all birch shell, have lost the Nouveau lug and come in eight wood and metallic lacquer finishes. There are four bass drum sizes, nine tom sizes and five snares and they look much closer to the Tour Custom in design than before.

The Hexrack is Yamahas new rack system. It has curved hexagonal tubes with clamps that have a nylon insert so the clamps can rotate around the bar without being released. The tom arms are very simple as they don’t swivel – the clamps do - and there are a wide variety of clamps available to connect anything to it.

Yamahas standard wooden snare drum line has been given a complete overhaul and now feature three sub ranges, called Vintage, Sensitive and Loud. The Vintage has a very thin 4 ply maple shell with reinforcing hoops, small lugs and triple flange hoops, the Sensitive has a 7 ply maple shell with aluminium die cast hoops and Maple Custom style lugs and the Loud has an 8 ply Oak shell with dark chrome Dynahoops, ten air holes and off set lugs. ( courtesy: Mike Dolbear)

Last edited:
Mayun!....

I want this kit with just clear lacquer on the shells.....

drool!

You guys talking about bubinga are forgetting about Yamaha's Oak Customs. The bubinga is similar to the Oaks.

Huh? Doesn't bubinga have a darker and deeper tone than oak? Or are my ears deceiving me?

Here's a few pic's I got from NAMM and my New BCAN

DSCN6005.jpg

DSCN6007.jpg

DSCN6008.jpg

DSCN6000.jpg

DSCN5967.jpg

Now what do you Guys think about Aquarian Super 2's for the BCA?? I want to try some other top heads I tryed a clear Emp top stock bottom

Hi
Regarding the Aquarian Super Kick 2 for your bass drum. I used that head on my Pearl Master 18x22 with no internal muffling and it was great. I sold that kit and put the sk2 on my Maple Yamaha Absolute 16x22 and it sounded like crap, boingy. Now I have an Evans EMAD (single ply) with the thicker dampening ring installed with no internal muffling and the drum sounds great. Cdrums21(member) advised me to try it and everything he's told me so far he has been dead on. Good luck

Does anyone know why Yamaha changed the mounting system on the new Phoenix line? That block of wood, in my opinion, looks rather unsightly, and it appears (from the photo below in the thread) to add more attachment to the shell (3-4 screw mounts compared to just 2 with the traditional YESS system). It looks like a Sonor attachment: two screws up top, one or two below, but with the YESS mount on the wood block.

Is there some "acoustic reasoning" as to why Yamaha did this? The current YESS setup on the Absolutes, RCs, and Oaks looks way better and functions just fine. At the least, the current system shows off the drum shell more; the Phoenix wood block really obstructs the drum shell finish and looks sloppy.

Otherwise, I can't wait to hear/see the new snare drum line (L and S series) and the Carter signature snare!

The yamaha press release regarding the PHX drums:

PHX Phoenix Kit Unleases a New Era for Yamaha Drums

— New Ultra High-End Drum Set Pushes Musical Boundaries —

ANAHEIM, Calif. — Not resting after celebrating its 40th anniversary this year, Yamaha Drums will begin its push to further drumming innovation over the next 40 years when it introduces its ultra high-end PHX Phoenix Drum Set at Winter NAMM 2008.

In Yamaha's quest to continually expand the boundaries of musicality for drummers, the company used newfound Asian woods to create the PHX kit.

"These particular woods, jatoba and kapur, have never before been used to make drums, and when you put them together in a specific combination, they produce an amazing musical tone," says Dave Jewell, marketing manager, Yamaha Drums, Pro Audio & Combo Division. "We've discovered one of nature's secrets."

In addition to sounding great, the 11-ply shells are a sight to behold. The center ply, jatoba, is an extremely hard wood that provides the drum's core note. On either side are four plies of kapur, which is a softer wood than jatoba. The inner and outer plies of the shell are customized, using maple or a combination of a burled ash outer ply and a maple inner ply.

The concept behind the PHX Phoenix shell construction is to use the hardest wood in the middle surrounded by softer plies of wood; this produces a sonic "ripple effect" similar to the sound a pebble creates with waves when dropped in water.

"The trend today is thin shells, but frankly, these drums—made with this specific wood combination — do not sound 'thick,'" said Jim Haler, product manager, Yamaha Drums. "They go against every sonic standard of a thick shell."

Joe Testa, Yamaha Drums international artist relations manager, added that "We brought these drums into the studio with some of our top artists, and the difference is astounding. I describe it this way: when most drums are struck, the sound comes from them and hits you. With this kit's sound, it hugs you. Imagine your current Yamaha sound with a natural preamp on it. Generally, a kit's sound improves with age. On the PHX Phoenix, the aging process seems to be accelerated. Within just a week of playing it, the sound matured immensely. It really is beautiful."

Not only is the shell construction a new venture for Yamaha, the kit's new and improved mounting system is, too. Developed to make the fundamental tone of each drum clearer and better defined, the wooden tom mount, combined with shock-mountable rubber contact points, provides ultimate resonance. As with all Yamaha drums, the mounting points are positioned at the nodal points of the shell.

The newly designed detachable lugs are mounted where the overtones are the highest. The balance of the nodal point mount and the overtone point of the lugs help mute unwanted overtones, making the fundamental tone come alive with much more clarity.

"The PHX Phoenix was not made to replace our current high end drums, but rather to supply drummers with another musical voice in their arsenal," said Jewell. "Yamaha Drums will continue to create instruments that further a musician's capability to create better music. We pride ourselves in being the choice for those serious about their music."

Available with chrome or gold hardware and in nine impressive finishes (four maple, five in burled ash), the PHX Phoenix drumset is expected to ship in March 2008.

The Hexrack is Yamahas new rack system. It has curved hexagonal tubes with clamps that have a nylon insert so the clamps can rotate around the bar without being released. The tom arms are very simple as they don’t swivel – the clamps do - and there are a wide variety of clamps available to connect anything to it.

I can't believe it! I searched for hex appeal and found this forum with Yamaha's hex hardware. I came up with "Hex Appeal" in 2004, which utilized hex-shaped 6061 T6 aircraft grade anodized aluminum. The idea was the solid hex design would not dent or rotate like round tubular steel does.
Nice to see someone developed and enhanced my idea!!
http://kenamay.tripod.com/hexappeal/
hexappeal.jpg

Last edited:

Huh? Doesn't bubinga have a darker and deeper tone than oak? Or are my ears deceiving me?

Huh? LOL.....Possibly, but I know for sure that Oak has a darker tone than maple, but similar warmth. Thats what my answer was directed at, to establish that yamaha is making drums out of a harder wood than maple, that produces a darker tone than maple, and has a similar warmth. No one else is making drums out of oak that I know of, so it seems to be a yamaha thing. Tama is already making a bubinga kit.

anyways, here's my kit. Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage in Sappire Blue Fade. I wanted to sell this earlier but I've decided not to. The bass drum reso head was designed by my better half. We took the design to a local sign shop, and from our flash drive they took the image and altered the size in photoshop and printed a giant round sticker. We then stuck this onto a new head. It was pretty difficult to stick it on without creating creases or air bubbles. I always thought it would look sikk on my kit and it does. Incase you can't tell, its a jazzy motif, keyboard, double bass, saxaphone etc. are in the lines.

10x9, 12x10, 14x12, 22x17
All cymbals sabian for no reason other than I happen to love the sounds of all my cymbals, as well as Sabian is carried in the most quantities at the music stores here.
6'' AAX splash inverted ontop of a used 8'' Hand Hammered, 14'' Paragon Hihats, 16'' Paragon Crash, 18'' Vault Crash, 22'' AA Raw Ride. Not Pictured are my Sig. 22'' Jack Dejohnette ride and 22'' Paragon Ride.
Snares inlcude: 10x6.5 Tama Hammered Steel Soprano Snare, 13x3 Maple Piccolo by Pearl, standard 14x5.5 Yamaha wood snare that came with the kit. On my kit now is a 14x4 Brass Piccolo by Dixon. I found this at the music store used, and bought it for $80. It had a new highend pearl throw-off and snares when I bought it. Same with the maple piccolo, found it used and picked it up for the same price roughly.
I was getting into alot of jazz drum sounds and decided to pick up a floor tom and convert it into a bass drum. I picked up a 16x16 sonor force 2005 floor tom, BB-3(i think) Pearl tom bracket, Yamaha Long Tom Arm, and gibralter bass drum riser and bass drum legs that fit conveniently into the existing floor tom leg brackets. I had to do some drilling and cutting to fit the tom bracket on. It works well. I havent done much with it, but I hope to use it more when I get new heads for it.

I also have a Kenny Aronoff 6 1/4'' cowbell. I also have a Roland TD-8 Electric drumkit (used) with some upgrades. I use it mainly for recording some ideas and full songs. Actually sounds really good and pretty real in the mix with other instruments. My most recent purchase was a Roland SPDS Sample trigger pad. I kind of regret gettting it because I don't use it much at all. Main problem is that these things take Compact FLash cards as extra memory which is cool, but max. memory on the card has to be 512mb, and practically no one makes them anymore. They are very hard to find. Maybe one day lol.

That's pretty much it. I know this was really long and only supposed to be about yamaha gear, but I couldn't help it lol.

Attachments

• DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 12,068
  • DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 12,274
  • DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 12,357
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 12,623
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 12,623
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 12,731
  • DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 13,033
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 12,000
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 11,896
Last edited:

Huh? LOL.....Possibly, but I know for sure that Oak has a darker tone than maple, but similar warmth. Thats what my answer was directed at, to establish that yamaha is making drums out of a harder wood than maple, that produces a darker tone than maple, and has a similar warmth. No one else is making drums out of oak that I know of, so it seems to be a yamaha thing. Tama is already making a bubinga kit.

Hehe!

In any case my favorite wood essence so for is bubinga, I love the low end you get out of it. I find Oak to be too aggressive.

Tama is not the only brand using bubinga - Sonor has been using it for quite some time.

Hehe!

In any case my favorite wood essence so for is bubinga, I love the low end you get out of it. I find Oak to be too aggressive.

Tama is not the only brand using bubinga - Sonor has been using it for quite some time.

Ddrum & Peace do, too.

Just curious, Did Vinnie Colauita play a YRC before he signed up with GRETSCH? Anybody know?

yeah he played a RC kit on the burning for buddy vid from 89 with he gadd and weckle. Later in his stint with yamaha he played a MC kit on tour with sting. he also had a sig snare with yamaha that is pretty rare. I think it was a maple 14x4.5

Yeah, Vinnie played the famed white lacquer Recording Custom kit from the late 1980s/early 1990s. I think Carter Beauford also played this kit in the early/mid '90s before he switched to the black lacquer RCs. I wish Yamaha would offer more finishes in the RCs.

Back