Yamaha Drums

Snowdogyyz

Re: THE YAMAHA DRUMS THREAD

Just noticed this thread! I'm also a big Yamaha fan (although I've also become a huge Sonor fan). I own a maple custom absolute kit (nouveau lugs) in black sparkle sunburst. Sizes: 8x8, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 20x17, 22x18. NICE sounding kit. I have clear ambassadors top and bottom for a real open, resonant sound. The pics I'm posting are from a show in September... I let Mark Mondesir play the kit on the opening night of the John McLaughlin and the 4th Dimension tour. I had only heard a little Mondesir before that night, but let me tell you... he is a monster player! He loved the finish of the kit a lot. Anyway, pics below!

Attachments

aydee

Platinum Member

This is the exact same kit, in the same finish that I played at the GC, before I bought mine in embossed silver in the exact same sizes!

arent they incredible?

Those are nice pics, btw.. I like that " beast lurking in the dark caught by flashlight " kind of look : )

Last edited:

spleeeeen

Platinum Member

Hey Spleen! Havent really tried them with other heads because I'm pretty happy with my sound. This is happening even after the settling in period of the heads. Not a huge problem, I just take the heads back up a turn after sometime.

Am curious about the aquarians, though, lots of great feedback.

Hey, when are we going to see your cherry maples up here, Spleen?

Hey Aydee,

Thanks for remembering! I know, it's been forever and I still haven't managed to take and post any pics but I promise I haven't forgotten about it. My life has been crazy-busy as of late (in part because I'm playing more, which is a good thing) but I'm hoping to squeeze in some time over the upcoming holidays. Hope all is well with you and your family.

spleen

aydee

Platinum Member

Hey Aydee,

Thanks for remembering! I know, it's been forever and I still haven't managed to take and post any pics but I promise I haven't forgotten about it. My life has been crazy-busy as of late (in part because I'm playing more, which is a good thing) but I'm hoping to squeeze in some time over the upcoming holidays. Hope all is well with you and your family.

spleen
All well, thanks very much , bud. If you've been busy playing, thats great and you are hereby forgiven for not having posted the pics .

Do post them when you can. I'll fantasize till then : )

MarkoTaxman

I'm a fairly recent registrant, but a long-time Yamaha drum fan. I don't think Yamaha manufactures the best drums available, but I do think the designers appropriately considered the law of diminishing returns to deliver exceptional musical instruments for the money. Even more, Yamaha's customer service is second-to-none. I love my hybrid Absolute Nouveau kit.

20x16 Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau kick (plus Yamaha Subkick mic)
10x7.5, 12x9 and 14x14 Beech Custom Absolute Nouveau toms
14x6.5 Manu Katche Signature Snare

DSCF2120.jpg
DSCF2118.jpg
DSCF2125.jpg
DSCF2127.jpg

Booyaa!

aydee

Platinum Member

marko, have you played the maple toms? If yes, what difference do you find in those and the beech toms?

MarkoTaxman

marko, have you played the maple toms? If yes, what difference do you find in those and the beech toms?
Aydee, imagine that the Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute tom has a perfectly flat frequency response (it doesn't, of course). The Beech Custom Absolute tom has more of a smiley face-shaped frequency graph: emphasized low end and attack (high end). Similar to what members are saying about Recording Customs, the Beech Custom Absolute toms sound more pre-EQd. To my ear, they're more focused, controlled and studio-friendly. Just my ears, though.

Hope this helps.

aydee

Platinum Member

Aydee, imagine that the Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute tom has a perfectly flat frequency response (it doesn't, of course). The Beech Custom Absolute tom has more of a smiley face-shaped frequency graph: emphasized low end and attack (high end). Similar to what members are saying about Recording Customs, the Beech Custom Absolute toms sound more pre-EQd. To my ear, they're more focused, controlled and studio-friendly. Just my ears, though.

Hope this helps.
Yes, thanks Marko. When I got my MCAn's, I was shopping for DW collectors. These drums outdid the DWs for me, and I'm pretty thrilled with what I have. ok, the 12 and the 16 leave me wanting a little bit more BUT...

.A pro friend of mine in Europe has a hybrid kit just like yours, and has been raving about it. . I told him what could be better than my 8, 10, 14 maple toms which to me, sound the way you describe yours.....perfect! tone controlled and sing beautifully..

And he said the same thing you are saying!

I hear a lot of positive feedback on Birch Kicks & floors, and maple toms too

maybe there is a beech 16 and 12 in my future : ) . Wonder how compatible the will sound with the rest of the tom family..

MarkoTaxman

Yes, thanks Marko. When I got my MCAn's, I was shopping for DW collectors. These drums outdid the DWs for me, and I'm pretty thrilled with what I have. ok, the 12 and the 16 leave me wanting a little bit more BUT...

.A pro friend of mine in Europe has a hybrid kit just like yours, and has been raving about it. . I told him what could be better than my 8, 10, 14 maple toms which to me, sound the way you describe yours.....perfect! tone controlled and sing beautifully..

And he said the same thing you are saying!

I hear a lot of positive feedback on Birch Kicks & floors, and maple toms too

maybe there is a beech 16 and 12 in my future : ) . Wonder how compatible the will sound with the rest of the tom family..
Based on what I've heard and read, the MCA rack tom / BCA (Birch or Beech) floor tom combination is pretty ideal. Just curious, what heads do you have on your 12 and 16 MCAs? I really dig my 12 and 14 BCAs, and I use Acquarian Response 2s over Acquarian Classic Clears. Regardless, the MCAs are so nice, as is, so it's hard for me to support the notion of selling MCAs for BCAs (cost vs. benefit may not be there).

As far as kick drums go, I think if you own a Yamaha Absolute series kick, you're in great shape. No reason to feel like you're missing out on anything.

aydee

Platinum Member

Evans. EC2 batters on the 8,10,12s and G2s on the14 ad 16s. All resos are G1s. That works pretty good for me.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy, but ones always looking across the fence into the neighbor's house, isnt it ? ; )

I've given up on Remo, but I hope to try Aquarians, next change.

Fett2oo5

Hi, Im new, please be patient heh.
I was wondering if I could get some advice from someone with experience with Stage Custom drumsets. What's the skinny on the Nouveau lugs? I haven't heard a lot (and Im searching this site for more info ) but what I have heard is that around 50/50 hate them and like them.

I play in a Funk/Texas rock/island(think 311) band. I REALLY like the sound of Carter B.'s set and Chad Sexton but getting off subject....

I would have no problem getting a Recording Custom however I'm limited on cost. So I have been thinking of getting the Stage Customs:
20 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 16-Floor w/ room to shove in a 14" a little later.

I have purchased 1 other used set about 15 years ago and it is not doing so well, I really want to upgrade and do it right.

Can you give me any advice about the Stage Custom's
Also what to look for in buying a New set of drums so I don't let those ***** at the nearest "big chain" store pull a fast one on me. Things like the finish having gaps in it? or bearing edges having dents? these type of things.

and has anyone seen or heard of Stage Customs coming with traditional Lugs? If that were possible I could eliminate the doubt I have about the Nouveau's

Thanks for helping out a newb

Last edited:

I have played Yamaha Recording Custom drums for around 12 Years, found my first set of RA's ( black bearing edge model, thinner shells than recent product ) in a local music shop. I had no knowledge of RC's at this time, just bonded with them immediately, the sound is fat and warm and musical, and manufacturing quality unsurpassed, in my opinion.

I now own a selection of ( Black ) RC's 26/24/16/15/14/13/12/10/8 all 'Power' depth ( unfashionable to some maybe, but I love em ! ) which cover any job, and more, than I could wish for, generally I will use a 5 drum configuration.

I foolishly sold my original set, and another 18/10/12/14 Jazz sized RC ( Cherrywood )setup to finance the drums I now use, but it was worth it.

My Yamaha Snares are a Brass piccolo SD493 and a beautiful 8" deep Birch RC, however most of my recording recently has been using a 6.5" Ludwig BB' and a 6.5" LM2000 Millenium edition Brass ( number 44 ) together with a Coliseum and an Acrolite which together with the RC's and a bunch of Istanbul Cymbals gives me my dream setup.

Please go ahead with the Yamaha Drum Thread!

Fett2oo5

Having gone to GC the other day and looking around some more here I found that the Nouveau lugs aren't fully plastic any more, most of the lug is metal. While at the store I found that the "threaded insert" whatever it's called that slips into the lug that the rod screws into was plastic. So now I'm thinking that "slipedge" you were expierencing with your heads Aydee might be due to the plastic threads..... idk it's just a theory.

Aydee how do you like the lugs system overall? Is the only problem a little tuning adjustment every 3rd day? Cause if so, then to me that's no big deal, and I'll procede with persuing the SC's. I had also thought of using EC2s but with Ebony reso's.

Another concern I have is if the rods loosen after being played for a few days will I need to retune them after the drums travel in cases?
I will be making cases for these myself over the next few months, because as I said earlier the set I have is limping along. =( poor guy.
The new set will need to leave the house soon to take to gigs (can't afford two sets) however it will not leave the house without cases.

What do ya'll think? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

aydee

Platinum Member

Having gone to GC the other day and looking around some more here I found that the Nouveau lugs aren't fully plastic any more, most of the lug is metal. While at the store I found that the "threaded insert" whatever it's called that slips into the lug that the rod screws into was plastic. So now I'm thinking that "slipedge" you were expierencing with your heads Aydee might be due to the plastic threads..... idk it's just a theory.

Aydee how do you like the lugs system overall? Is the only problem a little tuning adjustment every 3rd day? Cause if so, then to me that's no big deal, and I'll procede with persuing the SC's. I had also thought of using EC2s but with Ebony reso's.

Another concern I have is if the rods loosen after being played for a few days will I need to retune them after the drums travel in cases?
I will be making cases for these myself over the next few months, because as I said earlier the set I have is limping along. =( poor guy.
The new set will need to leave the house soon to take to gigs (can't afford two sets) however it will not leave the house without cases.

What do ya'll think? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Fett, The nouveau lugs sometimes get a bit of a bum rap IMO.
I think they are great and their ease-of-use, and tuning abilities make them a terrific Yamaha innovation.
Its a high class problem, in that it isnt really a problem. The nouveau lug system hasnt been cause for any concern in my case. The fact that the tuning is very sensitive,and I can get pretty nerdy about tuning, and by the third day I notice a pitch change, isnt reason enough for me not to like em.

I have heard about some people cranking their snare heads way way tight, and that has caused stripping in the inner sleeve.

Dont need to re-tune after travel. Re-tweak a touch perhaps due to a new accoustic environment, but not because of the lugs.

I wouldnt worry about it. The pros outweigh the cons.

RobertM

Platinum Member

Are there any major differences between the Recording Customs and the Absolute Birch?

I've heard both kits are 45 bearing edge, single-point contact lug, YESS system, etc. The only differences I can see are the long, high-tension lugs on the RCs have three screw points on the inside of the shell per lug, as opposed to two with the Absolutes, and the RCs have triple flanged hoops versus Absolutes' aluminum die-cast hoops. And the colors: RCs only in two; Absolutes in 30+. And badges: Absolute badge is screwed on, RC badge via glue. I've been told that both kits use the same legendary Yamaha birch shell.

Struggling to decide what would be better--the RCs or Absolute Birch. With both kits, you could mix and match with Absolute maples, it will just be a color clash, which doesn't bug me at all. In fact, I have seen Paul Leim play an Absolute maple bass drum with RC toms!

Any thoughts? Even though the colors are boring compared to the Absolutes, I still find myself dwelling on the RCs. They sound good and seem to command so much respect from drummers worldwide despite all the newer drums and innovations over the recent years. That kind of respect is pretty amazing, if you think about it, and hard to top. I think only old Gretsch round badge kits and Ludwig Black Beauties can match the long-standing demand of use and respect of a Recording Custom kit. Even though the shells are the same, it seems that RCs are praised more than Absolute Birch kits.

baz

Silver Member

...I have owned two Yamaha kits, and a couple of strays.

This was my first Yamaha kit. It was an MCA 10x9, 12x10, 14x12, 20x16. The bass, 12, and 14 were monsters. I loved those drums, but I hated the 10. No matter what head combo, or how I tuned, I could not get a sound that I liked from that stinking rotten dirty tom. If I had of been able to make this drum sound half decent, I would probably still own that kit. As it was, this is the kit that I traded off on a used seven piece DW kit, that started a whole new obsession.

This was my Yamaha franken kit. 22x14" Maple custom bass drum, 16x14" oak custom tom, 13x10" oak custom tom. After I bought my first DW kit, I had too many drums for one kit, so I picked up the MC bass drum and used it with my 12 and 16" DW toms. I bought a 22x18" DW bass drum to round out that kit, then picked up the stray Oak Custom toms, and put together this kit which I sold to a guy in Fort MacMurray.

Out of all the drums that I have owned over the years, the two Yamaha bass drums were the most powerfull, out of them all. They had the perfect blend of boom, warmth, and projection. I have not seen too many used MC, or Recording Custom kits around here, which is probably a good thing.

Hmmmm, I see another thread coming on.

barry

Fett2oo5

That's good to hear Aydee, Thank you for the help.

I hadn't planned on getting the snare with the shells I'm going to purchase. It'll just ba a package of

8x7
10x8
12x9
16x16 Floor
20x17Bass
and a 14x12 if I'm still below budget

I'm planning on picking out a snare rather than get the SC one. Speaking of which I am looking for a Snare similar to one a friend has a few years ago. What I liked about it was that if you hit it in center it sounded like a normal snare but you hit it a quarter of the way in toward the center and I could get quite a bit of ring out of it. It was tuned a little high and that ring would give it a regee sound which I liked, it was like having two snares in one. I don't know a lot about snares, does anyone know how I can get this type of thing done? And what snare would ya'll recommend to achieve this?

aydee

Platinum Member

That's good to hear Aydee, Thank you for the help.

I hadn't planned on getting the snare with the shells I'm going to purchase. It'll just ba a package of

8x7
10x8
12x9
16x16 Floor
20x17Bass
and a 14x12 if I'm still below budget

I'm planning on picking out a snare rather than get the SC one. Speaking of which I am looking for a Snare similar to one a friend has a few years ago. What I liked about it was that if you hit it in center it sounded like a normal snare but you hit it a quarter of the way in toward the center and I could get quite a bit of ring out of it. It was tuned a little high and that ring would give it a regee sound which I liked, it was like having two snares in one. I don't know a lot about snares, does anyone know how I can get this type of thing done? And what snare would ya'll recommend to achieve this?
Those are great sizes! The kit will sound amazing, I promise you.

On the snares, I think any good quality snare ( well tuned ) will give you the dry in the center, and ringy towards the rim sound.

If you're going to your local GC, try a bunch of them out..

all kind of shapes and sizes, and materials.. and then short-list them further.......