Yamaha Drums

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
You guys must be fun at parties.

But ok. To anwser the question, as far as I know the new ones aren't seamless. The seamless snares where discontinued in general years ago too.

D

drumming sort of person

Yes, and as I said, I own one, and I know what a seam looks like. It is sans seam.

Yamahabeech

Decided to add these to the Yamaha thread, any help would be appreciated.

Hello,
I just joined looking to learn more about this. I'm a guitar player for over 20 years and big gearhead. These drums are for my son, he's 8 but a pretty decent player already. I just upgraded these from a Percussion Plus set. I play a little drums and have filled in a church before, but he is definitely above me in skill lol.

Got them from the original owner who was drum teacher and "pro-drummer" (he just does lessons and plays for a living. pretty cool) He gave us an extremely good deal on the shell kit.

Anyways from what I can gather, they are Yamaha Beech Customs, Made In Japan. Any info on the date or things about these? Very hard to find info on them.

6 pc set:
10x8 - WTT810 0M-5643
12x9 - WTT812 0M-5643
14x11 - WTT814 0M-0134
16x13 - WTT816 0M-5657
22x18 - WBD822 0M-5688

Pork Pie Lil' Squealer 12x5 snare
DW5000 single chain kick, (camco model) Pearl H900 hi-hat stand,

The cymbals are junk (except for 1) so that is the next upgrade path.
Neal Peart Paragon 10" splash
Wuhan China
ZBT ride
Paiste 302 rebranded hats and 16" crash
No-name garbage can lid crash lol

Click for larger picture.

Yamahabeech

Very nice. Congratulations. Those are the first Beech Custom series from the 90's (drummers like Manu Katché and Dominique Messier loved them)

If you want to check the date you can use this handy sheet:
faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/drums/ac-drumsets/806/4177/
Thanks! We got a great deal on them I just couldn't find much info.

According to that chart it should be June 1988. Wow, those are almost 30 years old! Would that date be right or is it 98?

Yamahabeech

That would most likely be 98. As these weren't released in the 80's.
Looking again, yeah 98 would be right. They sound fantastic!

I'm looking at a cymbal stand for the middle of the YESS mount. I assume I can just order the Yamaha Short Boom Cymbal Stand Arm and that will fit it?

Going to put his 10" splash there.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Looking again, yeah 98 would be right. They sound fantastic!

I'm looking at a cymbal stand for the middle of the YESS mount. I assume I can just order the Yamaha Short Boom Cymbal Stand Arm and that will fit it?

Going to put his 10" splash there.
Awesome. Yeah the CS-750 and 755 should work perfect.

scorch whammin

Gold Member
Thanks! We got a great deal on them I just couldn't find much info.

According to that chart it should be June 1988. Wow, those are almost 30 years old! Would that date be right or is it 98?
They would be 98... beech customs weren't around in the 80's...introduced in the mid-90's thru 2003, then replaced with beech custom absolutes in 2003-2004.

Yamahabeech

Awesome. Yeah the CS-750 and 755 should work perfect.
Thanks will get that ordered!

They would be 98... beech customs weren't around in the 80's...introduced in the mid-90's thru 2003, then replaced with beech custom absolutes in 2003-2004.
Appreciate the info for sure! These drums sound awesome. Not sure what heads to put on when we change those.
Currently has Evans EC2 clear. Any thoughts on heads for these drums?

scorch whammin

Gold Member
Thanks will get that ordered!

Appreciate the info for sure! These drums sound awesome. Not sure what heads to put on when we change those.
Currently has Evans EC2 clear. Any thoughts on heads for these drums?
I really like Aquarian drum heads...can't go wrong with any of their heads (IMO), but would prolly try coated modern vintage or coated super 2 on toms and a super kick on bass drum..

Last edited:

Yamahabeech

I really like Aquarian drum heads...can't go wrong with any of their heads (IMO), but would prolly try coated modern vintage or coated super 2 on toms and a super kick on bass drum..
Thanks. The Bass has a Remo Powerstroke Pro on it and it seems to sound pretty good but Ill check on the aquarian heads.

jbass524

I completely agree with the Aquarian Modern Vintage head recommendation.

I have them on my Birch Custom Absolutes and they really sing. I have the Super Kick II on my bass drum with a Modern Vintage on the reso side. The bass drum had attack and old school tone. Plus I love the way the MV look.

Yamahabeech

I completely agree with the Aquarian Modern Vintage head recommendation.

I have them on my Birch Custom Absolutes and they really sing. I have the Super Kick II on my bass drum with a Modern Vintage on the reso side. The bass drum had attack and old school tone. Plus I love the way the MV look.
Any advice on Modern Vintage vs Modern Vintage II?

Here's a bad recording of how the drums sound now. It's me on guitar, my 8yr old son on the drums just randomly jamming/playing. It train wrecks towards the end lol, but you can REALLY hear the toms when he goes into a full rock concert ending and finishing with fast triplets.

https://soundcloud.com/user-36429101/randojam

Last edited:
D

drumming sort of person

This track was not found. Maybe it has been removed — Learn more