Yamaha Drums

kanefsky

OMFG. Ups really, really blows sometimes.
So what happens if UPS refuse to pay for a replacement ? I would think whoever sold them to you would have some pull here maybe ?
I believe it's up to the seller regardless of what UPS does. As far as I know UPS will only pay claims to the seller and not the recipient.

As someone who sells a fair bit of stuff, I will just immediately issue a refund to the buyer and worry about filing claims later. Fortunately that's very rare when the items are packed well. I usually don't even insure packages for full value because it's cheaper to just eat the cost once in a while than to pay for full insurance on every package (not to mention the value of the time and effort it takes to file claims and whatnot). For most things, and particularly for large floor toms and bass drums I try to use FedEx ground whenever possible rather than UPS.

--
Steve

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
The saga continues. UPS is denying the damage claim, and the shipper is disputing their denial. Incredible.
Ahh thats sucks badly.

Did he filed a claim? Like Kanefsky mentioned, only the shipper can file a claim (and dispute any following responses from UPS) basically you are out of the blind as a receiver (I had this a few times)

D

drumming sort of person

The store I bought it from is going to take care of it, regardless of UPS. Another floor tom has already been ordered, but won't be here until June (back ordered from Yamaha). He should be able to get UPS to pay. It was insured for $900.

By the way, he's had similar issues with FedEx, DHL, and UPS in the past. They're all pretty bad. You have to pack things so that they can handle extreme abuse, which isn't fair.

Groov-E

Silver Member
Ahh thats sucks badly.

Did he filed a claim? Like Kanefsky mentioned, only the shipper can file a claim (and dispute any following responses from UPS) basically you are out of the blind as a receiver (I had this a few times)
Usually, unless specified otherwise by the seller in districts where consumer protection laws do not regulate such practices, risk transfer to the consumer occurs upon reception of the goods.

In your case if you are a consumer buying from a merchant, this dispute should be between the seller and ups.

What sucks is you are nonetheless missing a floor tom and are dependant on the seller for replacement.

If it is any consolation, know that I share your pain and at least it is not a net loss. But it angers me that a good drum was destroyed for no good reason.

Mardigrasnurse

I'm a huge Yamaha fan also. I started out with Tama, then I went to Ludwig, and one night I played a friends Yammies and fell in love with the tone. I was searching and searching for an older kit in good shape since I didn't feel the newer kits (Except the Phoenix) was worth the price since most of the Yamaha kits I had played on were from the 80's and 90's and actually seemed to sound better. Well I had finally found a double set of Tour Custom (Indonesia ones from 90's not the Japanese ones from 80"s) in the limited 1 year edition Moto X. The gentleman I bought them from played double kick also so had actually found two sets, one played on and one brand new. That in itself was amazing since they only made 200 of these Moto X with the Orange racing stripes. Thing was the Moto X was limited to Drum sizes:
24" x 17" bass drum
12" x 9" mounted tom
16" x 16" floor tom
6" x 14" snare drum
and I being a Rock God lover, Pert, Palmer, Bozio etc was looking for 8,10,12, mounted and 14,16,18 floor. Well while I was playing on my practice set at home and looking almost daily on craigslist national, Jammin Jersey's and countless store orphan searches John Bonham's Guardian Angel Ghost pinged my laptop and I heard it in between beats and lo and behold...A gentleman in Ohio (I'm from New Orleans) that had bought a maxed out kit in February of 1992 with everything I was looking for except the 18" floor. and very unfortunately for him he was in an accident that messed up his leg pretty badly and 2 weeks later he was no longer able to play. He boxed the brand new set back up and decided to sell it about 2 months ago.

I drove up to Ohio the following day needless to say after calling him and making a deposit in his PayPal account sure that it was a scam but I had to take the chance. We met at Sam Ash in Cincinnati where lo and behold...not only did he drive 4 hours south from the top of Ohio to save me an even longer trip but He gave me all the original brand new hardware, and the boxed drums were immaculate and even had the "New Drum" smell lol.

Not a scratch, blemish on the shells or hardware at all and the original heads from Yamaha were even weeks old looking. The all Maple kit sounds freaking incredible. The day I got back home I started looking online for another what I thought useless orphan search for a second 22" kick. Well what can I say when Mr. Bonham's Guardian Angel Ghost looks out for you he goes all out!!! I found online at Drum City Guitarland in Denver a brand new in box Cherry Sunburst Tour Custom kick but it was a 24". I after picking myself off the floor and sending my PayPal info ordered it on a Sunday after hours not even sure it was still available... It was. And so until I can afford a new Phoenix one day I guess I'm set.

Sorry about the long post but 2 months later and I'm still stoked!

P.S. I found on EBay an 18" Rock Tour Custom Floor tom in Mirror wrap in mint condition and am currently looking for a Cherry Sunburst Wrap that will match my kit as closely as possible.
P.S.S. I also found another Orphan Cherry Sunburst Matching Tour Custom Snare which I of course purchased for my second snare.
Both are pictured.

Attachments

Last edited:

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
So this arrived this week :D

The 1969 D-18 4-ply bop kit in Black Willow.

Sizes are 12x8, 14x14 and 18x14. Let it slip once, didn't let that happen a second time.

The front head is a new old stock that I bumped into by extreme luck. It was even already sold trough Dave's Drumshop at the other side of the globe, but the seller (which I know from the Yamaha community) passed it on to me.

She needs some touch/clean up after 48 years but the sound is already impressive. Full bodied and warm. The 18" has a certain sub that I haven't found on another 18" so far.

evilg99

Platinum Member
^^^^
Looks great man! Awesome.
I really regret selling my D20 kit now :(

I had no current use for the head, so I'm glad it worked out for you. It looks proper on that. Don't cut any holes in it, ever!

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
^^^^
Looks great man! Awesome.
I really regret selling my D20 kit now :(

I had no current use for the head, so I'm glad it worked out for you. It looks proper on that. Don't cut any holes in it, ever!
Never! for this small kick, a closed head works best. The sub low is insane. And if the occasion does occur I will use another head. Thanks so much man!!!

ionic

Hello all.

I'm bumping this one after going through the entire thread and not finding one
pic of a long lug 9 series in a silky wrap. Also to discuss the timeline.

Thanks to DrummerMP who,in another Yamaha id thread, stated...

"Yamaha history on the YD9000's is a little spotty and it is difficult to find the correct information-even from the company.Yamaha actually introduce the YD9000 (Recording Series) line somewhere between 1975 and 1977. Originally, the kits had the single high-tension lugs and for some reason changed to the split lugs in 1978 and 1979, but went back to the single lug design in 1980 or 1981."

The '77 / '78 catalogs confirm this. Badge is AE and A in '77. D in '78.

There is one other thing that helps id these. The bass drum spur does not have the usual wing screw. There is a three spoke design in the '77 catalog.
Back to a wing screw in '78.

Apparently the silky wraps were a special order in '77 becoming a standard finish on the 7 series later on. Does anyone know
if there were extra wait times/ costs related to a special order?
Any thoughts on the reasons for the lug change?

Attachments

D

drumming sort of person

Have any of guys used the new metal snares from Yamaha? Steel, Aluminum, and Brass. Are they seamless shells? I
I have the Aluminum. I think the Aluminum is the only seamless/spun and the others are rolled/welded.

hefty

Are you liking the Aluminum? Thanks for the reply.
I have the aluminum, 6.5" version. It's great. I think the aluminum die cast hoops with the super light aluminum shell somehow come together to work really well together. I've gotten several nice compliments on how it sounds-- this is coming from someone who never gets compliments on my drum sounds :(

The Edge

I have the aluminum, 6.5" version. It's great. I think the aluminum die cast hoops with the super light aluminum shell somehow come together to work really well together. I've gotten several nice compliments on how it sounds-- this is coming from someone who never gets compliments on my drum sounds :(
Good tips. I'm interested in this drum. I'm looking for a good and used version.