Yamaha Drums

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Ugh. I've had two drums shipped to me that were damaged by UPS. I hope you're able to get it replaced quickly. Oh, and congrats on the new RCs!

evilg99

Platinum Member
I have had a few drums destoyed by UPS.
I've learned to take the hoops off the bass drum, wrap them in thin foam and place them down around the shell. Then I use painters tape in a few spots to hold the heads on and then pack a lot of bubble wrap all around that.

Anyway - DSOP - that really sucks. I think they ship the floor toms with the heads and hoops installed , right? So that must have been a very nasty drop or something, to be cracked where it is. Right through a few plies. Ugh. Makes me sick.

D

drumming sort of person

Anyway - DSOP - that really sucks. I think they ship the floor toms with the heads and hoops installed , right? So that must have been a very nasty drop or something, to be cracked where it is. Right through a few plies. Ugh. Makes me sick.
Correct, the heads are installed on the toms. The crack is right where one of the leg brackets are. The leg bracket was probably touching right against the cardboard wall and then something contacted the box right there (or the box fell and landed right on it) resulting in the cracked shell. What's interesting is that the outside of the drum shows no damage at all. I only noticed because I took off the head to swap it out. Good thing I did that.

RacingBeat

Here is my 14 x 5 JR Robinson Snare (Birch with 20 copper pins enbedded into the batter bearing edge). I got it for a song and put some TLC into it along with an S-Hoop top rim.
Great drum, I am using one of those as my main snare right now, behind an RC kit

Defender

Silver Member
Can an admin please explain to me how pictures as FREAKIN HUGE as the ones just above, made it into the forum? I thought 1200 x 1200 was the largest we were allowed to use. THESE PICS ARE MASSIVE!!

Peace, Defender

kanefsky

I think the forum just embeds a link to whatever image URL you specify. It doesn't care what size it is since it's not actually storing the image.

--
Steve

Defender

Silver Member
Either way, I now understand why the max size is setup for 1200 x 1200.. These pictures are completely annoying.. I have to scroll over like 4 clicks to get to the other side and my monitor is 1680 x 1050. That means this annoying picture is at least 4000 pixels wide.

D

drumming sort of person

I'm really not having much luck. I ordered a Canopus snare from Drum Center of Portsmouth on Reverb.com and they sent me the WRONG SNARE DRUM!!!

I ordered one with die cast hoops, and they sent the same snare with triple flange hoops (which happens to cost $150 less).

I thought these guys knew what they were doing?

Good news is the final Yamaha drums I ordered from Allied Music of Ohio arrived on Monday and they're perfect. Still waiting to hear what UPS is going to do about the busted floor tom.

D

drumming sort of person

Played my new Recording Customs for the first time at rehearsal last night. They sound great!

RickP

Gold Member
My new to me 18/12/14 Yamaha Club Custom kit in beautiful swirl orange arrived today.So happy to have a Club Custom kit again. These are in fabulous shape.

Anyone want to buy a Yamaha Oak Custom Bop kit 18/12/14 in Amber Burst ? :)

evilg99

Platinum Member
My new to me 18/12/14 Yamaha Club Custom kit in beautiful swirl orange arrived today.So happy to have a Club Custom kit again. These are in fabulous shape.

Anyone want to buy a Yamaha Oak Custom Bop kit 18/12/14 in Amber Burst ? :)
Ahhh, excellent, congrats and welcome back:) You got the kit that was in Montreal?

I have orange swirl kits in 12/14/20 and also 12/14/16/22. I was trying to sell the 12/14/22 setup and keep the 16 with the smaller kick....but now, I think I'm keeping both sets for a while. They are just excellent drums, I can't decide which kit has to go.

I think I saw your Oak Custom kit on Kijiji - nice set there too. I would buy them if I had the room, and if I didn't already have Oaks in a bop kit.

RickP

Gold Member
Ahhh, excellent, congrats and welcome back:) You got the kit that was in Montreal?

I have orange swirl kits in 12/14/20 and also 12/14/16/22. I was trying to sell the 12/14/22 setup and keep the 16 with the smaller kick....but now, I think I'm keeping both sets for a while. They are just excellent drums, I can't decide which kit has to go.

I think I saw your Oak Custom kit on Kijiji - nice set there too. I would buy them if I had the room, and if I didn't already have Oaks in a bop kit.

Yes,
I picked the CC up from a forum member from Quebec. This is the third CC kit I have owned. The Oak kit I have for sale was a Yamaha Endorsers kit. It is in really nice shape and sounds great. I was going to keep it but I am running out of room and something has to go.....

I saw you had the Swirl Orange 22/12/14 up for sale. Don't sell your PHX kit, you will regret it !

evilg99

Platinum Member
Yes,
I picked the CC up from a forum member from Quebec. This is the third CC kit I have owned. The Oak kit I have for sale was a Yamaha Endorsers kit. It is in really nice shape and sounds great. I was going to keep it but I am running out of room and something has to go.....

I saw you had the Swirl Orange 22/12/14 up for sale. Don't sell your PHX kit, you will regret it !
To me, the Club Customs are kind of like a modern take on Ludwigs' vintage 3 ply shells. Better made/more consistent than the 3ply, sound great at lower tunings, controlled yet resonant voice...I have found they sound their absolute best with coated Ambassadors.

I may just keep the PHX for a while after all. But that then means I have to sell my Craviotto Center Stage kit. Not sure what to do here - one has to go. I dig the sizes of the Craviotto more (12x7,14x12,20x12) but they don't do lower tunings very well...kind of a drag. I am in the process of trying some Evans UV1, and it might be a bit early in the testing but it seems like UV1's can go a little lower than Ambassadors on the Craviotto kit at least....maybe enough to sway me in that direction.

Groov-E

Silver Member
To me, the Club Customs are kind of like a modern take on Ludwigs' vintage 3 ply shells. Better made/more consistent than the 3ply, sound great at lower tunings, controlled yet resonant voice...I have found they sound their absolute best with coated Ambassadors.

I may just keep the PHX for a while after all. But that then means I have to sell my Craviotto Center Stage kit. Not sure what to do here - one has to go. I dig the sizes of the Craviotto more (12x7,14x12,20x12) but they don't do lower tunings very well...kind of a drag. I am in the process of trying some Evans UV1, and it might be a bit early in the testing but it seems like UV1's can go a little lower than Ambassadors on the Craviotto kit at least....maybe enough to sway me in that direction.
I missed this while I was away : are you thinking about selling the phx kit ? Any particular reason why ? I read diagonally the last two pages and didnt see anything relating to that.

By the way my mha are great, they just sound fantastic and blend in the mix. Can also cut trhough if I want them to, but that is not usually what I am going for.

22x18 are a hassle to carry, but they do a whisper to a sonic boom almost to perfection for my taste. Nice range, and having played them most of my life they sit just right in my comfort zone. Now if only everyone would enlarge their doorways that would be great for the hoops and my fingers.

D

drumming sort of person

The saga continues. UPS is denying the damage claim, and the shipper is disputing their denial. Incredible.