Yamaha Custom Absolute Hybrid Maple users- Tuning Advice please

dumbeat

Hi- Im a new player of this kit. Most of my 35 year career ive been on Vintage Gretsches and Ludwigs, a SonorLite and had A Recording Custom about 10 years ago for a while. Did a few records with it and loved it, but had to let it go.

Im learning the behavior of this kit. I find the 10" Tom super easy to tune, either hi pitch Jazz style, or relatively lower with the batter head pretty loose for a warm punchy tone. However the 12" is not behaving quite like the 10, and ive messed with it a lot.

I very fast enter the wobbly, "Synth like" loose head sound when i go for the lower punchy tone, and if i tune up even a bit, i lose the punch and enter the upper territory which is the "Ringy" Overtone rich area. Cant find the sweet spot on the 12" for the lower punch a la RC.

Any advice from people who know well these shells would be welcome.

Please share your experience with these drums.

Thanks!

Last edited:
On the older absolute series with the earlier Yess mount, some people found that sliding the drum closer or further away made a difference. There was a dead spot where the slight flex in the hex rod cancelled the vibrations from the shell.
Worth trying I guess.

On the older absolute series with the earlier Yess mount, some people found that sliding the drum closer or further away made a difference. There was a dead spot where the slight flex in the hex rod cancelled the vibrations from the shell.
Worth trying I guess.
Oh yea, I remember reading that somewhere. Thanks! Ill try that. It may not be the only thing but worth a shot.

Worth trying I guess.

That has been my experience with my BCAN kit. The 12" tom requires special attention to get it to sound good, often due to the need to balance the 12" and lighter 10" on the tri-mount. The 12", being heavier, pulls the mount in one direction so I must play with the positions of the 10 and 12 to get them just right. A millimetre or two makes a difference.

As for the actual tuning of the 12", I tune to somewhere between 98 Hz and 110 Hz to achieve the sound I'm looking for. The Nouveau lugs are impossible to finger tighten so extra attention must be paid when seating the head and bringing the tension up evenly. I haven't played hybrids yet so I don't know if that situation has changed. Once achieved the Absolutes hold their tuning magnificently but getting there requires some patience.

Clear Emps : heavier stuff and a more generic sounding drum set, also great if you need more beef, drums will never saturate or choke.
Clear Ambs : cleaner sound, great for jazz, latin and fusion.
UV1's : great all-rounders, they are my go-to heads for my AHM.
(I always use clear ambs for reso)

I personnally tension my AHM tom-tomsa bit higher, and the response of the 12 I find gets better when top and bottom are tensionned the same.

I sometimes tension reso a bit higher than batter to kill a bit of the sustain.

Floor toms sound great as long as they have heads on them, they are just incredible.

Good luck !

Are your drumheads brand new? I’ve had this same issue you describe (albeit I don’t have a Hybrid) especially with diecast hoops - my 12 literally is either flappy or too high and I could never get it to the point I used to with same drum but a triple flanged hoop always did the trick!

Try a new head and/or same head with a different rim... wonder if that helps!?

Also how do you like the drums? I’m debating between a Canopus Yaiba or splurging for a Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple ? (but don’t tell my wife)

Back