Yamaha Crosstown Lightweight Hardware

I had a set of Crosstown that I just offloaded to a friend for a set of 700 series hardware. My primary gig hardware is a mixture of 600 series single-braced and 700 series. The Crosstown works as advertised, but I was never able to get over the looks and the extra step of having to put them in the individual sleeves (sheer laziness on my part).

They were mostly rock solid, even in windy conditions, and the non-adjustable spring tension wasn’t an issue with my 17” hats. Highly recommended if the looks and extra step of sheathing each piece aren’t an issue. One slight annoyance (very minor) was that the snare stand “hopped” around a bit when playing firm backbeats. Just enough to notice and readjust every so often.

Ryan,
Thanks for info. I could see that breaking down the stands and putting in sleeves at the end of a long gig would be cumbersome. Hadn’t heard that about the snare stand before. Maybe because it’s SO light.

Ryan,
Thanks for info. I could see that breaking down the stands and putting in sleeves at the end of a long gig would be cumbersome. Hadn’t heard that about the snare stand before. Maybe because it’s SO light.

Jml, that’s exactly why the snare stand hopped around a bit, because it is so light. The weight savings on the whole set is profound. Like others have said, it’s quite startling. I only lift my hardware bag in and out of my vehicle, though. The rest of the time it’s on the Rock & Roller cart, so the weight savings wasn’t as beneficial to me as to others.

Jml, that’s exactly why the snare stand hopped around a bit, because it is so light. The weight savings on the whole set is profound. Like others have said, it’s quite startling. I only lift my hardware bag in and out of my vehicle, though. The rest of the time it’s on the Rock & Roller cart, so the weight savings wasn’t as beneficial to me as to others.

Same is true of the Tama Classic snare stand - too light. I use a Stagemaster snare stand in lieu.

Valid points pork &jml. for me i am 65 and giging,and my back is starting to feel it, lugging all this heavy hardware around,and i am in good shape. I feel lighter hardware will give me a few more years to keep giging,and i would rather spend the $ on gear rather than the orthopedist. Also i would rather conserve my energy for playing

Valid points pork &jml. for me i am 65 and giging,and my back is starting to feel it, lugging all this heavy hardware around,and i am in good shape. I feel lighter hardware will give me a few more years to keep giging,and i would rather spend the $ on gear rather than the orthopedist. Also i would rather conserve my energy for playing

I'm not 65 but I have the joints of someone much older than that haha - so I've been loving it. Just picked up another stand today so I have three cymbal stands total!

Me too. I guess that’s a good sign that people aren’t getting rid of them. They must be happy with them.

I’m still on the fence due to the scratching issue, which requires you to put them in a protective sleeve after each gig. That and I still like my Tama Classic hardware set....
Had my set almost a year now & no scratching :)

I have these & love them. Just brilliant. I use a small Yamaha boom for my ride which works perfectly :)

IMG_1083 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
Thanks Frost for your info, purchased a crosstown cym. stnd,and the yamaha ch-755w boom arm for my ride and this is the perfect lightweight solution to my needs. this baby is solid as a rock when playing,gonna get the whole set. this picture was a great help, thanks. I think yamaha just gave me 10 more yrs of playing drums !!

Thanks Frost for your info, purchased a crosstown cym. stnd,and the yamaha ch-755w boom arm for my ride and this is the perfect lightweight solution to my needs. this baby is solid as a rock when playing,gonna get the whole set. this picture was a great help, thanks. I think yamaha just gave me 10 more yrs of playing drums !!

Booooom!! Nice!!

It is the perfect solution to the lack of a boom :) Glad it has helped you :)

Just ordered a set myself.

I am kind of anal when it comes to memorylocks and like a heavy tension on my hh stand so I am looking forward to experience this set.

Especially as I come from decades of 700/600 usage. I hope I can save on even more weight.

Regarding memory locks:
U0980740 MEMORY LOCK, 7/8 CN

These are used on the 750 drumthrone and are finished in the same marte aluminum.

This should work. I will test one when the set comes in.

Last edited:
Back