Yamaha Crosstown Lightweight Hardware

NouveauCliche

So I used these last night for a 60 minute live stream and a video recording - so maybe 3 or 4 hours of play time and they are ROCK SOLID.

Every one in the band and my drum tech spend the whole time we were setting up picking the case and tossing it around because it's so light.

The hats were a question and I actually didn't notice until after the first part of the evening that I didn't have the hats all the way tight and even at that looser than normal tightening - they didn't budge at all - so I have no doubt their collar mechanism is rock solid without a memory lock - which I might still add for memory purposes haha.

I have a 23" and a 21" cymbal on the stands and those were rock solid all night too - snare never moved.

Couldn't be happier from a performance standpoint.

Attachments

tfgretsch

I have these & love them. Just brilliant. I use a small Yamaha boom for my ride which works perfectly :)

IMG_1083 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
Which yamaha boom attachment did you use ? any p/n ? does standard yam. mount tubes fit in crosstown trypod base ? not to be a pain, but shyed away from crosstown be cause it had no boom srand but yours is a game changer great idea,thanks if you can help.

NouveauCliche

Which yamaha boom attachment did you use ? any p/n ? does standard yam. mount tubes fit in crosstown trypod base ? not to be a pain, but shyed away from crosstown be cause it had no boom srand but yours is a game changer great idea,thanks if you can help.
I actually watched a video and the Yamaha rep was saying that a lot of the parts are totally modular by design - so he said any of the yamaha system boom arms would work.

I would look at:
Yamaha CH-755W Boom Cymbal Holder

That's like $50 ish.

Frosticles

Silver Member
Mine is a Yamaha CH-755W. & it fits straight into the Crosstown base :)

8Mile

Platinum Member
The Crosstown hardware is the best gear investment I've made in years. The weight is something you have to experience to believe. It's not just a little lighter than other stuff, it's something else entirely. There's something about picking up that bag with everything in it and it being effortless to pick up, it's almost like you're getting away with something. It removes any hesitation I have about lugging my stuff around because it's like I went from moving my drums and my hardware to just moving my drums.

I would like memory locks and I've never tried to hang a tom from one of the stands (maybe it would work, but I'm wary). But the advantages of the weight just dwarf those concerns for me.

tfgretsch

The Crosstown hardware is the best gear investment I've made in years. The weight is something you have to experience to believe. It's not just a little lighter than other stuff, it's something else entirely. There's something about picking up that bag with everything in it and it being effortless to pick up, it's almost like you're getting away with something. It removes any hesitation I have about lugging my stuff around because it's like I went from moving my drums and my hardware to just moving my drums.

I would like memory locks and I've never tried to hang a tom from one of the stands (maybe it would work, but I'm wary). But the advantages of the weight just dwarf those concerns for me.
Thanks 8mile for the info. by the way there are plastic lined type screw clamps that you can use as memory locks, they may be hard to find,try an old school hardware store.

Woolwich

Silver Member
When I have the funds I'll buy a set as I think they look more stable than my DW Ultralight cymbal stands, not that they're letting me down at the moment so no rush. However I sold the DW Hi Hat and Snare Stands and am using standard heavier weight hardware for those purposes so the Crosstown stands would replace those two.
Re: the memory locks. Part of the appeal of the DW stands is that at the end of the gig (because they don't have memory locks either) everything quickly and conveniently just telescopes down and it goes into the bag. These types of hardware are about lightness, quickness and convenience in my opinion so it makes sense to me. Also because they're straight stands and their target users are probably working drummers with 3 or 4 cymbals there isn't quite the necessity of having the height, tilter and boom arm angle memories locked in that a multi cymbal user would need.

Also, the Crosstown stands are more susceptible to scuffing and scratching hence them coming supplied with a cloth bag. If you're taking the middle tube out of the stand after each gig then you'd also need to bag that, and carefully too as it would have a a memory lock potentially made of steel clamped in place and ready to attack the legs of the base while in transit.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Got to check them out at a seminar in November. Really light.

I could get by without a boom for most things, but the reason I didn't go this way is that I can't use clamps.

Another reason is that I would mostly be using things like this outside and there is an issue with the cymbals catching a lot of wind, thus a bit heavier stand then is a pluss..

It's a great option to have out there. Hardware is such a big part of both bulk and weight for a kit and combined with a nesting kit you are getting to a take the bus and unload in one go situation. Many musicians that would appreciate that.

beatdat

I'm not necessarily a TAMA fanboy, but when I got back in to drumming a few years ago, I bought all TAMA Roadpro hardware - it's solid stuff, but big and heavy, too.

At one point, though, I needed an extra snare drum stand to mount a smaller practice pad at home, and my local shop didn't have one by TAMA in stock, but did have one by Yamaha. It was a lower level stand, but everything about it is as smooth and as well built as my TAMA hardware.

I have to say, there are two companies that have caught my eye in the past few years that, if I ever get another kit, I'll strongly consider - Sonor for their drums and Yamaha for their hardware. Aside from the odd complaint here and there, I hear nothing but positive things about these brands, and what I know about them confirms that.

Jml

Has anyone used these outside in strong winds? Would these hold up under those conditions? Or would we better off with heavier stands?

tfgretsch

When I have the funds I'll buy a set as I think they look more stable than my DW Ultralight cymbal stands, not that they're letting me down at the moment so no rush. However I sold the DW Hi Hat and Snare Stands and am using standard heavier weight hardware for those purposes so the Crosstown stands would replace those two.
Re: the memory locks. Part of the appeal of the DW stands is that at the end of the gig (because they don't have memory locks either) everything quickly and conveniently just telescopes down and it goes into the bag. These types of hardware are about lightness, quickness and convenience in my opinion so it makes sense to me. Also because they're straight stands and their target users are probably working drummers with 3 or 4 cymbals there isn't quite the necessity of having the height, tilter and boom arm angle memories locked in that a multi cymbal user would need.

Also, the Crosstown stands are more susceptible to scuffing and scratching hence them coming supplied with a cloth bag. If you're taking the middle tube out of the stand after each gig then you'd also need to bag that, and carefully too as it would have a a memory lock potentially made of steel clamped in place and ready to attack the legs of the base while in transit.
I have DW ultra light hardware also,not happy with it, they wobble alot,the cymbal stand with my 18" crash fell over on a gig,and i am not a heavy hitter

Woolwich

Silver Member
I have DW ultra light hardware also,not happy with it, they wobble alot,the cymbal stand with my 18" crash fell over on a gig,and i am not a heavy hitter
I've never had either problem with the cymbal stands using the same sized cymbal and an energetic Heavy Rock approach to my playing. Each to their own though, perhaps I've gotten lucky with the height and distance of the stands the way I set up. I also play a 20" bass drum and low set cymbals, If yours is 22" or more then maybe your setting up 6" or more higher than me which could make the difference.
However the hi hat definitely could wobble more than I liked. The snare stand wasn't happy when a 12" snare was in its' cradle, a 14" was centred over the vertical tube while a 12" was too far off centre and it would be on the cusp of just being balanced, and it would also sink so that the vertical tube would bottom out on the floor, I do "play through" my snare drum though so it basically wasn't the right tool for the job.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I've been eyeballing this hardware for a while. One thing that I've noticed is that you can NEVER find a set of these stands used. I'd love to give a set a try, but I'm too cheap to take this kind of risk on something.

Jml

I've been eyeballing this hardware for a while. One thing that I've noticed is that you can NEVER find a set of these stands used. I'd love to give a set a try, but I'm too cheap to take this kind of risk on something.
Me too. I guess that’s a good sign that people aren’t getting rid of them. They must be happy with them.

I’m still on the fence due to the scratching issue, which requires you to put them in a protective sleeve after each gig. That and I still like my Tama Classic hardware set....