Yamaha Crosstown Lightweight Hardware

Frosticles

Silver Member
Although I agree it should have a memory lock on the hi hat post, how hard is it to find one? For the $$ it should come with one but it’s not like drummers have never been the type to add to or modify an existing piece of gear after the fact.
I had some ally memory locks knocking about so used one of those :) The Hi-Hat stand is fine without the lock with no slipping whatsoever. I just put one on......... cause I could :)

Frosticles

Silver Member
I need to ask the question because no one has directly challenged it, is hi hat sink a known issue on the Crosstown hi hat stand? I've kind of followed Crosstown threads on Drummerworld and until now I've never seen or heard of anyone leveling this as a criticism.If it does happen then it's a fair question, if it doesn't then we're complaining over nothing and possibly smearing a product with no evidence.
Not an issue in the slightest :)

Jml

I think the fact that they scratch easily, and need to be put in their protective sleeves after each use to protect further scratching (assuming you use the included bag) may be a bigger problem.

NouveauCliche

Yamaha should supply one, but it shouldn't be difficult to find one that fits.
Where's that live stream bud?
It'll be on howlive.tv - for the "International Indigenous Online Gathering" -
We are on at 5-6 PM Mountain Time on Saturday actually - for some reasons I mentally had yesterday as Friday haha.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Although I agree it should have a memory lock on the hi hat post, how hard is it to find one? For the $$ it should come with one but it’s not like drummers have never been the type to add to or modify an existing piece of gear after the fact.
More wondering if it's not there, because the aluminum would crush!?!? Seems odd not to include them.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
OTOH, you could save yourself over $100 and get the 600-series hardware pack which isn’t that much heavier, and it’s all chromed out metal.

ottog1979

Page 1 of this thread post number 18. He says he's hanging a 12-inch Tom off of one of the cymbal stands with no problem.
Thanks missed that. I'm thinking about these but need to hang a 14" tom unless I go to the trouble of floor tom legs.

force3005

Silver Member
I remember the days before memory locks. In fact I remember the days of metal on metal contact. We all managed, hi hats and cymbal stands didn't automatically all sink overnight.
(y)

I am old fart and remembered this on every stand and base drum spurs. 😖

AzHeat

Platinum Member
OTOH, you could save yourself over $100 and get the 600-series hardware pack which isn’t that much heavier, and it’s all chromed out metal.
How does that hold up, compared to the 700 series? I only ever fly one cowbell off a stand, so don't need them to hold up a house!

vyacheslav

I love the Crosstown stuff as well. A couple of remedies for the hi-hat issue:

1. You can always use a standard automotive hose clamp as a defacto memory lock. Just be careful, because it's apt to scratch the aluminum. Maybe cut some Rubbermaid shelf liner the same size as the clamp to go in between the clamp and the aluminum so it won't scratch, or maybe even a piece of an old t-shirt or sock?

2. To increase the spring tension of the hi-hat stand, remove the lower pull rod by unscrewing it at the coupling nut that sticks out of the base of the stand (and where the upper pull rod screws into). Once you unscrew the lower pull rod enough that it disengages from the pedal, I recommend removing and inserting the lower pull rod horizontally (hold the entire base horizontally), that way the spring won't slip off. Simply go to your local hardware store and get some plastic spacers. These are plastic (or nylon to be more accurate) spacers of varying thickness (think of a cymbal sleeve in various lengths). I recommend taking the lower pull rod with you and seeing the spacer size that fits. They are very cheap, so you can buy several of varying thicknesses to see which one works best for you. The thicker the spacer, the more tension it will add. You can also stack a few spacers together. I would recommend a metal washer in between the spacers and/or the spring. When reassembling, put the metal washer it came with against the "wings" of the lower pull rod (what stops the spring from going any further up) and then the nylon spacer(s), then another metal washer (ideally the same size as the default washer included with the stand), then the spring. When reassembling, it's never a bad idea to use a quick shot or two of your preferred lubricant.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
It's 34lbs - so it's twice as heavy :)
True. But you can get booms and the hi hat legs swivel as well as having a memory lock for the top tube. And they don’t look like camera tripods you can scratch up or bend. So is double the weight worth the $130 savings?

NouveauCliche

True. But you can get booms and the hi hat legs swivel as well as having a memory lock for the top tube. And they don’t look like camera tripods you can scratch up or bend. So is double the weight worth the $130 savings?
Well - I mean - it's specifically for lightweight purposes.

So finding other hardware with XY options at a X2 or higher weight completely defeats the purpose of the Crosstown hardware :)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Well - I mean - it's specifically for lightweight purposes.

So finding other hardware with XY options at a X2 or higher weight completely defeats the purpose of the Crosstown hardware :)
I figure any hardware is lighter if you’ve been hauling the super heavy duty rock star stuff everybody wants when they’re kids most of your life. So getting down to 35 lbs for all of it is way better than a 35 lb. hi hat stand.

NouveauCliche

I figure any hardware is lighter if you’ve been hauling the super heavy duty rock star stuff everybody wants when they’re kids most of your life. So getting down to 35 lbs for all of it is way better than a 35 lb. hi hat stand.
Some of that stuff is insanely heavy. I wasa lifting some oldddd yamaha stands and I swear that boom stand had be closer to 15lbs by itself. I swear - they built some of that stuff to hold their motorbikes.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Some of that stuff is insanely heavy. I wasa lifting some oldddd yamaha stands and I swear that boom stand had be closer to 15lbs by itself. I swear - they built some of that stuff to hold their motorbikes.
I blame the 80s, Stewart Copeland and Billy Cobham. I get that it was cool to have stuff that wouldn’t break and the ability to turn one stand into a tree of stands, but the weight required to do that really means you had a crew to move your stuff around. Drum marketing after that wasn’t really aimed at guys who worked on their own 3-4 nights a week, moving their own gear. But now that the drum companies realize what they’ve done, it opens up all new marketing for the light stuff! We can’t win!