Yamaha Club Custom Owners...

sumdrumguy

... please post your experience with these drums.

I own a number of Yamaha kits. I was aware of this series, but content and happy with what I have. No gear envy, etc.

This weekend, I got to hear, and play, a set of Club Customs. They were tuned wide open, coated heads top and bottom. Sounded very big, warm, and woody (30 deg bearing edges + Kapur = :love:). Add to that the beautiful finish (this one was a blue swirl), and solid Yamaha hardware.

I WANT!!!

The hunt has begun. In the interim, I would love to hear your experiences.

Never had a chance to play them when they first came out. Last year, a drum buddy came across a set. We both used them last November at a gig our bands played together. They blew me away (my buddy, too) with exactly the qualities you describe. When the opportunity came up a couple of months ago to secure those drums from him, I dove headfirst! Can’t recommend them highly enough. In this pic are the 12-14ft-18ft-22+matching snare. Not shown is a 10” tom and 16” floor tom.

3E35963A-6991-4A33-91DB-15908119689E.jpeg

You have exactly what I hope to find... a shell pack. I can still hear those toms, and feel that kick.

I'm feeling something I haven't felt in a very long time. Envy :D

I knew when these came available I had to jump at them. They seldom come up for sale and they were only made for a couple of years so there’s not many of them out there to begin with. These are keepers for sure. Happy hunting!

WHY did Yamaha discontinue these?
Everybody who mentions them loves the sound.

Pretty sure it had everything to do with the move of the factory to China and Sakae no longer producing drums for Yamaha. I think I'm remembering correctly that these were the very last Sakae-built Yamaha drums. I also seem to remember reading somewhere that kapur is now on the endangered species list, so pretty hard to come by legally anymore.

These are the best sounding drums Sakae ever made for Yamaha . I know strong statement but I have owned Recording Customs and played every model Sakae made for Yamaha . I used to own a shell bank of Club Custom drums in swirl black as well as a bop kit in swirl orange . I sold them to finance a Yamaha PHX kit purchase . I should have kept the Club Customs . Yep , they are that great sounding . They are warm and full sounding , everyone I played with loved the sound of these drums . I would love to finds another kit one day .
They rarely come up for sale these days because people that own them don’t want to give them up .

There are rumours that Yamaha will reintroduce these drums . I hope they do .

Last edited:
Have them in Black Swirl, and love them. 22-20-10-12-14-16 plus matching snare. Had to replace the ball-post mounts, because they had been worn and dried out. I really like that the bass drums are 15" deep, making them easy to move around and fit onto tight stages.

The finish is the nicest I've ever seen on a set of drums. It's quite thick and sturdy, and doesn't flake off with little knock against another drum here and there.

The demand is certainly there, but I don't think Yamaha will bring them back, because it's so labor-intensive to do a hand-painted lacquer finish. They used to put the drums onto rollers to apply the swirls, which must haven taken a long time. Apparently Steve Jordan originally saw the finish on a cafe table top, somewhere in Japan.

The magic of the Yamaha Club Custom is not the finish . It is the kapur shells and the sound of the Kapur shells with the 1.6mm hoops . A reissue of the Club Custom would not be delayed due to trying to replicate the swirl finishes . They will go with some standard finishes I am sure . This would be so they can pump them out cheaper and faster

Last edited:
RickP and brentcn, thanks for your input to this thread. Great to hear your praise for Club Customs. They are fueling my want :)

IF Yamaha does a reissue, I hope they keep the same bearing edges, shell construction. 100% Kapur - no hybrids! Love the swirl finishes, but a simple black would do me just fine. As long as that sound is there.

RickP and brentcn, thanks for your input to this thread. Great to hear your praise for Club Customs. They are fueling my want :)

IF Yamaha does a reissue, I hope they keep the same bearing edges, shell construction. 100% Kapur - no hybrids! Love the swirl finishes, but a simple black would do me just fine. As long as that sound is there.

I won’t see them back quickly. I can’t tell much more, but after the re-run prototypes years ago, it seemed like they were held back by something or someone.

Hi my Yamaha Stage Custom is made from Japan and I'm trying to get info regarding it. Can someone help me or point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Hi my Yamaha Stage Custom is made from Japan and I'm trying to get info regarding it. Can someone help me or point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Yours have a Birch and Luan hybrid shells , high tension lugs - not particularly popular when they were introduced .
The current Stage custom drums have all birch shells and are very popular drums . Excellent value .

Yours have a Birch and Luan hybrid shells , high tension lugs - not particularly popular when they were introduced .
The current Stage custom drums have all birch shells and are very popular drums . Excellent value .

Interesting as those where the Indionesdian made models. I am curious for pics.

The original and the second run high tension Advantage models are actually sleeper kits.

Here's the Club Custom kit I sold to member RickP.
That kit has a dark, warm, organic and woody tone.
It has a shorter note than an all maple kit.
It has less articulation than my Yamaha Recording Custom.
People that find the Oak Custom too harsh should be pleased by the Club Custom.
I think all the praises this series receive on this forum are well deserve.

Yamaha Club Custom Bop Kit (Orange Swirl)

If they re-released the orange swirl ones, I would absolutely buy a set without hesitation. I owned a set of the black swirl Club Customs and they were great sounding. I just didn't dig the Ringo vibe look (and I love Ringo!). But the drums were great!

I'm amazed how many people like the bright swirl finishes on these kits. I understand that it was a labor intensive process to create but I'd much rather have one of the more subdued dark wood or black wood finishes.

Back