Yamaha Brain - Roland Pads ?

Cringe

Heyas,

I just wanted to know if anyone here knows for a fact that you can use Roland Mesh drum pads with a Yamaha Brain/Module. I currently own a dtxtremeIII and I love the module.

Just recently my yamaha kickpad ( KP-125 ) completely died and is currently under warranty repairs and this is after only 6 months of use. After searching the net I found that im not only one who has had dramas with the yamaha kickpads.

So yeah I know there are some new yamaha DTX pads comming out soon, but regardless I still want to know if its possible to use the Roland Mesh Pads with the yamaha module's as I do love the mesh heads. I have been told that they dont work as well and that they actually stop working after awhile due to polarity ( Which I have no idea about ).

So if anyone can help me confirm this It would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

yeah they are all just piezos rolands should work with yamahas and so will anything else

I'm doing just the opposite, Yamaha pads into a Roland TD-7 module. You should have no problem.

So yeah I know there are some new yamaha DTX pads comming out soon, but regardless I still want to know if its possible to use the Roland Mesh Pads with the yamaha module's as I do love the mesh heads. I have been told that they dont work as well and that they actually stop working after awhile due to polarity ( Which I have no idea about ).

if it really is to do with polarity then i should imagine it would literally be a case of wiring the output of the pad the other way round, if you don't want to invalidate the warranty of the pad then you could do that by modding a cable to work the other way round. Of course having said all this it does seem ridiculous that they don't just use the same polarity.

I have a Yamaha DTXtreme III module and I have tried out the Roland mesh head pads (pd-120) with them...didn't experinece any problems triggering either zone....:)

thanks for the replies guys, seriously good to know. Still wondering if there's anyone out there who actually owns a yamaha module and uses roland pads currently ? also if anyone else who has owned the dtxtreme and has had problems with they're Kick Pads ?

and scorch whammin, was there any dramas with dynamics or sensitivity when you tryed the roland pad?

thanks for the replies guys, seriously good to know. Still wondering if there's anyone out there who actually owns a yamaha module and uses roland pads currently ? also if anyone else who has owned the dtxtreme and has had problems with they're Kick Pads ?

and scorch whammin, was there any dramas with dynamics or sensitivity when you tryed the roland pad?

Nope and not in the other config./way also...(i.e., I use to use a td-10exp. module w/ vex on my DTXtreme RHP pads)...the only thing I've noticed with the roland mesh pad (pd-120) and the DTXtreme III module is it requires a little more striking force to trigger rim sounds...the only reason I think that is....is because roland places the second piezo trigger on the trigger rail rather than on the shell...just so you know yamaha's cymbals (PCY135/155) also work with roland modules, however, I don't think the yamaha hihat pad (RHH135) will...which is a shame...cause it's a really nice hihat pad....what are you trying to build...pad/modulewise?....personally, if you like mesh pads and yamaha modules, why not try to get the DTXtreme I RHP pads (like mine) and then upgrade every thing else to III stuff...RHP pads and kits show up on ebay still, although not as frequently as they use to....I've owned/played both pad types (roland/yamaha) and like the RHP pads the best (not as bouncy)...or you could buy jokeby pads...IMO roland mesh pads are overpriced:)

To be honest scorch im not familiar with the dtxtreme I RHP pads ? although I will definetly try to check them out now. And I totally agree with you on the Roland Mesh Pads, I live in Australia, and was pricing the rolands at music shop, just for the larger size Roland Mesh Kickpad gonna set me back roughly over AUD $900 its ridiculous.

I will also check out those jokeby pads you mention aswell, I love the dtxtreme's metronome training functions, I think they are so valuable but just cant stand the feel of the yamaha rubber pads ( except the cymbals arent too bad ) especially the rubber snaredrum. The first day I got my dtxteme I started getting excited and layed into my snare whilst playing a few rock tunes, woke up the next day and my entire left hand/wrist/forearm was completely shattered, couldnt play again for like a week, although it did teach me to loosen up heaps when playing the snare lol

seriously though, thanks for the feedback mate, its appreciated :)

Hey Cringe...here's another option...have you seen the new DTX pads Yamaha just came out with? they're supposed to feel more like real drums than anything currently available...and they're also very quiet (stick noise)...early reviews coming from NAMM (from people who tried them) are all very positive...the pads are made of textured cellular silcone (TCS)..here's a link to some infoand videos on the new pads/kit...

http://dtxdrums.yamaha.com/library/tutorial_movies/dtxdrums/dtx950k/

yeh man, those dtx pads look very promising, I dont spose you or anyone has any idea when they might be available for purchase?

I've spoken with some sales reps who say that the new Yamaha pads will not work with a Roland module. So I'm thinking of switching to a Yamaha module (the DTX900), but I'm not sure - do Roland cymbals work with Yamaha modules?

cymbals should be fine. are they single zone or dual zone? i have some alesis surge cymbals which work fine with a roland module, so i don't see why they wouldn't with a yamaha.

I have the VH-11, a CY-15R and a CY-14C and I will want to use them with the Yamaha DTX900 module ... if the new Yamaha pads don't work with the Roland TD-20 (which I'm pretty sure they don't).

I have the VH-11, a CY-15R and a CY-14C and I will want to use them with the Yamaha DTX900 module ... if the new Yamaha pads don't work with the Roland TD-20 (which I'm pretty sure they don't).

the CY-15R and CY-14C should work fine with the DTX900 module, the VH-11 probably won't..but personnally, I'd sell them and get Yamaha's PCY-135/155 cymbals and RHH135 hihat pad...the cymbals are 3 zone pads and are at least as good/if not better than the roland pads and are about half the cost and the RHH135 is an equivalent to the VH-11 and again is almost half the cost...I've used them both and prefer the yamaha cymbals...roland pads are IMO...way overpriced!....

Thanks for the reply. I tried the new Yamaha pads at a local Guitar Center, and while they're nice, I'm not sure if they're worth all the hassle of selling my entire setup and buying a new one. :-(

Hey Cringe...here's another option...have you seen the new DTX pads Yamaha just came out with? they're supposed to feel more like real drums than anything currently available...and they're also very quiet (stick noise)...early reviews coming from NAMM (from people who tried them) are all very positive...the pads are made of textured cellular silcone (TCS)..here's a link to some infoand videos on the new pads/kit...

http://dtxdrums.yamaha.com/library/tutorial_movies/dtxdrums/dtx950k/

I played them at NAMM for a few minutes. They certainly were very nice.

I don't really have a need to buy an all new e-kit, but I'd have to give the new Yamaha's serious consideration if I were.

I know this is an older thread, but just curious if anyone that tried the DTXtreme III with roland mesh pads has tried them with the firmware update to convert to DTX900 module?

Reason I am asking us that I have updated & purchase the new pads and they trigger so much better than the TP series...Rims are much better etc....so wondering if using the new trigger setting would yield better/worse results with other brand pads???

I know this is an older thread, but just curious if anyone that tried the DTXtreme III with roland mesh pads has tried them with the firmware update to convert to DTX900 module?

Reason I am asking us that I have updated & purchase the new pads and they trigger so much better than the TP series...Rims are much better etc....so wondering if using the new trigger setting would yield better/worse results with other brand pads???

I've tried the roland pd120 snare/tom pad with the updated firmware..didn't notice much of a difference (w/roland pad)...I was able to get both zones to trigger...however, rim zone required more effort on the roland pads...

Last edited:
Back