Yamaha AHM drums, head choices?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
The new Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple kit arrived with their clear factory heads which sound fine. Punchy, though rather mid-range focused.

I'm wanting different heads to play these drums in an acoustic environment with piano, sax etc... Any recommendations for these shells?

Last edited:

NouveauCliche

The new Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple kit arrived with their clear factory heads which sound fine. Punchy, though rather mid-range focused.

I'm wanting different heads to play these drums in an acoustic environment with piano, sax etc... Any recommendations for these shells?
Piano / Sax : Jazz? Are you tuning them mid/high vs. mid/low/punchy?

Can't go wrong with a coated single ply - I used Coated Evans G1s forever on my Yamaha MCs and they were great - Coated G2s were great too though at mid range.

Evans used to make a J1 - which was a thinner single ply that was awesomeeee for full on sky high jazz tunings, but that has gone the way of the dinosaur.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I think Aquarian Modern Vintage would be perfect in that application. They have a little bit thicker sound (I think that comes from the heavier coating) but in my experience that helps them sound a little more full bodied when tuned up higher, but have a nice solid thump in the medium or low tuning range. I used them for years on my toms and they're still my go-to for snare drums. I think they're great.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Mid/high tuning. Will probably lean towards a coated head.

Haven't tried Aquarian yet, I need to learn about them!